PDA

View Full Version : When should a Young Stude driver join the SDC?

starliner62
12-14-2011, 07:58 AM
Since my son has a Studebaker and he drives it when his grades allow, should he have his own SDC membership? I think he may be ready at 16. Thoughts are appreciated.

Gary1953
12-14-2011, 08:01 AM
I would sign him up as soon as he expresses interests in Studebakers. I don't think 10 is to young.
If your son can drive I'd sign him up now.

BobGlasscock
12-14-2011, 08:11 AM
Yesterday.

TDITS
12-14-2011, 08:18 AM
A membership sounds like a good Christmas present to me.

Flashback
12-14-2011, 08:46 AM
I think he is ready now. The impressions that can be made, by the help of the members, will last. Be sure you suggest he have a window sticker showing he is a club member. I remember my first "by mail" club sticker on my 51 Chevie.

warrlaw1
12-14-2011, 08:57 AM
If I was aware of SDC when I had my first Stude, I would have had a lot more support and probably still have the car. If he likes Studes, he deserves to be a member.

FlatheadGeo
12-14-2011, 09:15 AM
I did not have a Studie when I was sixteen, but joined anyway. I am now 60. If he has the car, drives it and likes it; Why not? It took me 30 years to get my first Studebaker, still have it.

jclary
12-14-2011, 09:20 AM
As soon as he earns it. By that, I mean, even as a gift...if he appreciates and shares your interest...he has earned it. I have always figured that being a member of the SDC is a family affair. I have always considered that if someone in a household joins, their family becomes SDC members, especially the wife and kids. However, any youngster, that is growing up, can benefit from any thing that supports his individual identity.

You could gift him his first membership with the understanding that he maintain his dues going forward. I truly believe that the earlier in his development that he gains a sense of identity with an added no-nonsense expectation of responsibility...the more secure he will be in his maturity. I wish that my father and I could have had enough harmony in our relationship to have had a common pursuit. We made peace before he passed, but it was a bumpy road. All the best to both of you.:)

candbstudebakers
12-14-2011, 10:57 AM
My grand son Clayton has been a member since he was 6 he has always loved the Studebakers I have at home and at the shop, he never wanted to be a 1/2 member or a student member but his own full member where he got his own turning wheels, he has been to more International meets and Zone meets than most adults, he is 16 now and is working on getting his license then says he want the blue coupe, the 64 GT super hawk, the 67 Avanti, and the 63 standard R-1 clone, I told him no problem but lets first start you with the silver 62 GT. here is a picture of his first one at age 3.

http://i691.photobucket.com/albums/vv271/canbstudebakers/IM001694.jpg
here he is checking out a 289, figures it should have the power he needs

http://i691.photobucket.com/albums/vv271/canbstudebakers/IM001580.jpg
here he is after we got home from South Bend one year and he drove it on the Salt Flats track 75 miles per hour age 11

http://i691.photobucket.com/albums/vv271/canbstudebakers/67%20Avanti/IM001475.jpg
here he come now.

http://i691.photobucket.com/albums/vv271/canbstudebakers/salt%20flats%202007/P1010111.jpg
his favorite the 64 super hawk

http://i691.photobucket.com/albums/vv271/canbstudebakers/1964%20super%20hawk/IM001473.jpg

So as you can see it is never to early to fall in love with Studebakers, start them young and give them a reason to want them for ever.

warrlaw1
12-14-2011, 12:41 PM
To paraphrase Freewheelin Franklin: A Studebaker will get you through times of no money, better than money will get you through times of no Studebaker!

Sdude
12-14-2011, 01:00 PM
Sign him up now. He will love getting the magazine every month.

jackb
12-14-2011, 02:39 PM
have him sign on to this website and see the club in action....He'll probably be more interested in this media anyway....its the future....

woodysrods
12-14-2011, 02:47 PM
I agree with Bob. But it sometimes skips a generation.
My kids are just not into cars! And my oldest Son is 32 today.
But I hope my grandchildren are???
I have bee n trying to find my grandson a Studebaker pedal car on ebay.....but they have all been well out of my price range.
Good Roads
Brian

starliner62
12-14-2011, 03:02 PM
He's lurked here quite a bit, been to some Stude events and really enjoys them. I guess I'll sign him up for Christmas. It seems that most of his Christmas will be Stude related anyway. Gotta have parts and then more parts.........

JRoberts
12-14-2011, 03:08 PM
Gotta have parts and then more parts.........

If he realizes this, then he is a Studebaker kinda guy.....;)

rockinhawk
12-14-2011, 07:00 PM
We gave my first grandson a membership whe he was very young. I don't remember exactly how old he was but he is still a member.

I also signed him up in the Sons of Confederate Veterans. But when he told me he never even bothered to open the magazine, I dropped him from that.

mbstude
12-14-2011, 07:05 PM
We gave my first grandson a membership whe he was very young. I don't remember exactly how old he was but he is still a member.

The first TW that I ever received was the December, 1999 issue. It's nearly in shreds as I carried it around with me for a long time. I just had to show it off at school, on the bus, etc..

So I was 9.

rockinhawk
12-14-2011, 07:15 PM
The first TW that I ever received was the December, 1999 issue. It's nearly in shreds as I carried it around with me for a long time. I just had to show it off at school, on the bus, etc..

So I was 9.
Gave him his first Studebaker when he was 10. It's in shreds too.

Chris_Dresbach
12-14-2011, 07:16 PM
Sign him up ASAP. No need to wait. I was a member before I had a Studebaker, or even drove. Joining the SDC just increased my interest in Studebaker's, as well as the benefits there are to being a member.

Kurt
12-14-2011, 08:15 PM
Yesterday.

My thoughts exactly!

Corvanti
12-14-2011, 08:25 PM
He's lurked here quite a bit, been to some Stude events and really enjoys them. I guess I'll sign him up for Christmas. It seems that most of his Christmas will be Stude related anyway. Gotta have parts and then more parts.........

would have thought he had already joined, dealing with "christine". :) and your younger son would be ready to also sign up...

Mrs. Corvanti wanted to bring him (the youngest), home with us when we all ate at the fish house in carolina beach... and no, that is not an offer!!!:p

starliner62
12-14-2011, 09:33 PM
I figured theat he was ok being a member under me but, its time to loosen the apron strings and give him some rope. What is he gonna do, hang himself???? As far as the little one goes, we really can work something out!!!:D:D:D