Experimental eye candy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Experimental eye candy

With Chris' latest posts about prototypes and the love of eye candy on this forum, I thought I'd contribute.

These two photos were sent to me by Gary Cameron a couple of years ago. Supposedly the cars are '59 proposals.

I have always been a fan of experimentals an concept cars. It is cool to what ends up inn production later on and how long it takes to get here. Cool stuff and I like the HT on the far end.

edit: btw is that back up lights on the bottom picture? The US did not require them on cars until 1967 so was Stude 8 years ahead of the game?
    Last edited by kmac530; 12-13-2011, 11:06 AM. Reason: add

Comment

Too bad we can't see how the rear quarters transition to those stacked taillights. Of course, I can easily envision the "arrowheads" that adorn 57 & 58 President rear quarters blending in with the mouldings that surround those lights!
      No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Originally posted by kmac530 View Post

edit: btw is that back up lights on the bottom picture? The US did not require them on cars until 1967 so was Stude 8 years ahead of the game?
        The 56-58 Stude sedans all had backup light lenses. But, the lights were optional. A lot of cars were built without the sockets installed, though the lenses were still there.

Comment

Are there any pictures of the Lark prototypes for 59? I don't think I've ever seen any.
          Scott Rodgers
          Los Angeles
          SDC Member since 1989
          \'60 Lark HT
          \'63 Wagonaire
          \'66 Frankenbaker

Comment

YE GODS!
            Those look like Mopars crossed with Chevies.
            YUCK!
            The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

My first thought was they looked like Pontiacs with that front end design.
              Mono mind in a stereo world

Comment

Originally posted by kmac530 View Post
                I have always been a fan of experimentals an concept cars. It is cool to what ends up inn production later on and how long it takes to get here. Cool stuff and I like the HT on the far end.

My '50 has them as a dealer installed accessory.

Comment

Per the side of the center car on the left, being its side is the only one visible, my first thought was "how ugly, a Lark top on a Mercury".

Comment

Hi Matthew

Thanks for posting these, I've never seen that first one, always interested to see clay styling mock-ups from those days.

Note they all exhibit the styling trend to integrating the headlights into the grille plane. As a device to make this work, the hood and fenders were given an airfoil form, and the bumper level raised. From my reading, when Studebaker still planned upon a full-sized line for 1959, they intended to restyle the front clip to a more contemporary form as we see here.

Now, here's another intriquing question, are all three of these mock-ups for 1959 Studebakers? Or is one of them the...........1959 Packard?

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by 56H-Y6 View Post
                      Now, here's another intriquing question, are all three of these mock-ups for 1959 Studebakers? Or is one of them the...........1959 Packard?

Steve
                      The one on the far left in the first photo has '58 Packard wheel covers. The car in the middle has Stude covers. Nice observation.

Comment

The front end on some of those looks early-Impala inspired. ?
                        Chris Dresbach

Comment

Looked like Dodge stuff. Remember the Police car in the movie the California kid......same front end as car on right.
                          Tail lights in the rear view look like Dodge all the way!
                          Good Roads
                          Brian
                          Brian Woods
                          woodysrods@shaw.ca
                          1946 M Series (Shop Truck)

Comment

Not surprising as you can see the Plymouth sitting right there to be "inspired" by!

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by scott.rodgers View Post
                              Are there any pictures of the Lark prototypes for 59? I don't think I've ever seen any.
                              They are out there. There is a factory film called "Model X" and it's all about the 1959 Lark. They called the 1959 model X because the Lark name wasn't official yet, in fact the work "Lark" isn't even used in the film. That film shows both clay models of all 1959 cars and wagon, as well as driving of prototypes. The final prototype looks just like the production model, however it has a non production grille badge in the film. SI sells the film.
                              Chris Dresbach

Comment

Working...
                              X