Convertible Trans Removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Convertible Trans Removal

Does anyone either know if it is possible or have any experience removing a 3 speed overdrive trans from a '60 Lark convertible without pulling the engine (259 V8)? It looks like the X member makes it darn near impossible to remove the trans from below the car.

Thanks!

Rob

I have to believe that the trans will slide back enough to drop the front. Even the automatics in a Avanti will drop that way.

JDP/Maryland

64 Daytona HT/R2 clone
    63 GT R2
    63 Lark 2 door
    62 Lark 2 door
    60 Lark HT-60Hawk
    59 3E truck
    58 Starlight
    52 & 53 Starliner
    51 Commander

JDP Maryland

Comment

I have removed the transmission from my '60 Lark without engine removal. It is not your combination. It is a Lark VI with a T 96 and overdrive. It was not easy. I had to remove the solenoid and governor prior to removal. Obviously the "X" frame is the problem. I had to fabricate higher transmission jack saddles, again because of the "X". It is a pain, but better than engine removal.

Perry
      '23 Special Six,
      '50 Business Champ,
      '50 Starlight Champ,
      '60 Lark droptop,
      '63 GT
      Perry
      \'50 Business Champion
      \'50 Starlight Champion
      \'60 Lark Convertible,
      \'63 GT R1,
      \'67 Triumph TR4A

Comment

Thanks guys. It may be some hassle, but it would sure beat having to pull the whole front end apart!!

Rob

Comment

I just did a trans swap in my 62 ragtop, it was easier to pull the whole doghouse (about 16 bolts) and pull the enginf trans as an assy. It was out on Saturday, and back in Sunday. Would have had it running Sunday, but, I got the wrong P/S hoses. and had to wait on them.

Jim
          "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
          their Memorials!

Comment

Working...
          X