Brooks' Stude place in Weatherford, TX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brooks' Stude place in Weatherford, TX

I posted about this place a month or 2 back, and evidently no one has been able to contact him. I was able to obtain his brother's phone # but no one ever called me back.
    There is a veritable gold mine of cars there including an M15 bookmobile still full of books
    just sayin'...
    a bunch (6 acres worth) of fine old Studes are gonna end up at the bottom of some chinese steel factory...
    1947 M5 under restoration
    a bunch of non-Stude stuff

tbird
    where abouts is this place an address would be a good starting point. I'll start snooping.
    Ron Haffner

Comment

OK, here is the link to my first post, and a member google mapped it, and your eyes will pop

I just found this post which makes no sense at all

This is the web page

As prev stated, there are any number of alleged phone numbers but they all either don't answer or messages are not returned. I do know that John no longer lives there, but his brother is around there somewhere but he did not return messages either
      There are "For Sale" signs there and those numbers don't answer either

not sure if these cars or any of these cars can be saved but i do know they are not making any more of'em
      dave

Comment

No real help but Mr. Brooks was around in March 2011 according to this site: http://www.openphotographyforums.com...ad.php?t=13578

Comment

He was never there when I stopped by at that time

Comment

That's because he lives down in Hamilton.
            Bo

Comment

Originally posted by tbirdtbird View Post
              I posted about this place a month or 2 back, and evidently no one has been able to contact him. I was able to obtain his brother's phone # but no one ever called me back.
              There is a veritable gold mine of cars there including an M15 bookmobile still full of books
              just sayin'...
              a bunch (6 acres worth) of fine old Studes are gonna end up at the bottom of some chinese steel factory...
              Well,

I'd already outlined in that other post what I would attempt to do if I were to find them around here. It was a long post and my plan sounds complicated but it's really pretty straightforward. It just requires the owner to be willing to deal and for someone with serious motivation to take the bit in teeth and start rallying folks around there to action.

You sound like you are just the person to do it; go for it. Your teams will have to understand they won't make a furtune and that they'll get dirty, wet and frustrated but that it's for the love of the Studes. First get the owner on board. He's held onto those 'cuz he thought he'd make a fortune from them. Now he probably doesn't want to let them go for less than he thinks they're worth. If the handwriting is on the wall for his business, he needs to come to grips with the fact that getting some money for them and seeing them saved is better than getting a fraction of what he thinks they're worth as scrap and seeing them crushed. Once you've got him on board, start getting the local SDC chapter and as many other local motorheads as you can find involved.

Sit down with your crew. Decide when you want to have it done, add two months to that timeline to allow for stoppages and other unexpected hassles, map out a plan using a reverse timeline from your end date and then carefully plan every stop and make the appropriate contacts, etc., before finalizing the plan. Once you've got the plan dialed in, work your plan.

In the military we always planned stuff like this on the P.A.C.E. principle - Primary plan, Alternate plan, Contingency plan and Emergency plan. You need to PACE every criitcal step in order to minimize the effect that stuff that comes up will have on the overall plan.

It'll work; someone just needs to want to do it and needs to execute it. It's the first piece - want to do it - that's the first hurdle. Folks will often talk a good game but when it comes right down to it they've got a plethora of reasons why they can't be the ones to execute it.

Mike O'Handley
              Kenmore, Washington
              hausdok@msn.com
              Mike O'Handley, Cat Herder Third Class
              Kenmore, Washington
              hausdok@msn.com

'58 Packard Hawk
              '05 Subaru Baja Turbo
              '71 Toyota Crown Coupe
              '69 Pontiac Firebird
              (What is it with me and discontinued/orphan cars?)

Comment

The basic problem all along is that all attempts to contact him or his brother or the group selling the place have failed so no plan will work

Comment

Maybe the place has been sold and the new owners just haven't got around to clearing it out yet. Go to your county parcel viewer website and look up the property records to see who's still on record as the owner. It's pretty simple. Google ______ County Parcel Viewer and see what comes up and go from there.

Mike O'Handley
                  Kenmore, Washington
                  hausdok@msn.com
                  Mike O'Handley, Cat Herder Third Class
                  Kenmore, Washington
                  hausdok@msn.com

'58 Packard Hawk
                  '05 Subaru Baja Turbo
                  '71 Toyota Crown Coupe
                  '69 Pontiac Firebird
                  (What is it with me and discontinued/orphan cars?)

Comment

My wife and I stopped by there on Friday, Dec 30, 2011 to look around the place and see if I could take photos of the cars to share with the forum group. While there I noticed that the big blue and red neon Studebaker sign was gone. a while later a gentleman named Larry, who has severs cars stored on the 6 acre lot, pulled up in a pick-up truck and we started talking about John Brooks, Studebakers, and what’s happening with the cars and land. First, John took down the sign, afraid that someone might come along in the middle of the night and steal it. Good ideal. Second, John is moving the cars one by one to another location, I think Hamilton, TX, because of the land development push from the city of Weatherford and developers. He has a lot of them to move. Larry said, you can get a hold of him through their internet website: Studebakerfarm.com or by cell phone which he gave me. 254-688-0328

Comment

Bo, that explains the two Studebakers for sale on the side of Hwy 281 just outside of Hamilton.

Comment

I sent the following e-mail to John on 10-16:

To: studefarm@yahoo.com
                        Date: Sunday, October 16, 2011, 12:14 AM
                        "John,
                        Are you still in business… your name came up on the Studebaker Drivers Club Forum this week and people were concerned about you.

Merlin"

To which I received the followint reply om 10-31:

"Merlin, I have not produced any electronic units lately, but I am in the process of getting several ready to ship, which 2 are spoke for.
                        If you or anyone you know need to contact me, call 817-594-0840 or254-386-4816 after 6pm.

If no answer call my cel # 254-688-0328. thanks, john b. please call first #'s first."
                        -

Comment

The first number listed is the number published in the roster for the past few years. No doubt Larry, who was hauling the cars, was John's brother.
                          John & his wife Donna attended the Central Texas Christmas party in Belton recently and were doing well.

Comment

Working...
                          X