shortened 1953 studebaker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• shortened 1953 studebaker

we have a shortened 53 studie. I think it came from iowa. its a race car, and I'd like any info on the history of these cars.
    the wheelbase is 103". any info would be greatly recieved. thanks

Pictures Please!
    There was a "Roadster" that just sold on eBay last week.
    Good Roads
    Brian
    Brian Woods
    woodysrods@shaw.ca
    1946 M Series (Shop Truck)

Comment

There have been several built over the years by enthusiastic owners, but none by the factory AFAIK....

Originally posted by eldon smith View Post
      we have a shortened 53 studie. I think it came from iowa. its a race car, and I'd like any info on the history of these cars.
      the wheelbase is 103". any info would be greatly recieved. thanks
      HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Welcome to the Forum!!!

Could this be that altered wheelbase gasser posted here recently?
        I believe that car was on eBay, and was in Iowa...

I'm with Brian on this- pictures please!!!
        StudeDave '57
        US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
        SDC Member since 1985

past President
        Whatcom County Chapter SDC
        San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
        San Diego Chapter SDC
        North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

Most of the shortened C/K bodies that I have known were on the 108 inch Studebaker frame (rather than the stock 120.5 inch). This must be something different.

Does the 1953 have its original Serial Number (driver's door jamb) and body number (engine side of cowl) plates? If you could post those numbers, we could tell you more about the car.
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

When this post was first osted, I couldn't find the picture I have shown below. I took this picture at the South Bend International meet several years agp. If my wife hadn't pitched a fit I would have bought it. I still wish I had. I was told that the Shrock Brothers built this car from a 1953 Starliner in 1959. It was supposedly built to Thunderbird specifications and had body reinforcement built in. It had a removable top which wasn't much.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Custom 53 at South Bend.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	20.2 KB
ID:	1678452

Comment

A beautiful car but that Connie kit has to go. The extended fenders make it look out of proportion.

Comment

I'd love to see it without the conti kit too!

I had a dream about seeing a 53 Studie speedster.
                It was five years ago. I posted this about the dream on another car forum when it happened:

It was very very low to the ground like a porsche speedster with a very smalll roadster top. Short with only the one bench seat in front. Kindof a copper color with a v8, stick and dual exhausts. I had driven it to my folks house in rainy conditions and there was mud on the floor behind the seat. It was so low small and sleek. And it was mine.

It had proportions much like a porsche speedster but with a nice strong v8 and the studie nose and tail lights. I'd love to take a shot at building one but it would prolly cost a couple hundred thou which I don't have.

I have also pondered using a sunbeam tiger and later a Miata to make one. I believe the Tiger was designed by Lowey studios too. There is a lot of similarity to the front end....and the tail fins (to the 53s).
                Last edited by t walgamuth; 01-09-2013, 03:47 AM.
                Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

I don't knowabout the proportions of the car, but those rear fenders are looonnnnngggg aren't they.
                  Joe Roberts
                  '61 R1 Champ
                  '65 Cruiser
                  Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Well, if you guys are offended by long fenders...have little tolerance for cars that are not "proportional"...I suppose us Business Coupe owners will never have to worry about you attempting to steal our cars.
                    John Clary
                    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

I like those!

I won't steal them though.

Comment

Question? Publix Studebaker was owned by the family of a girl in my Kendallville HS class. Were there any dealer modifications extending the fenders on the coupes to enclose the continental kit like in Sam's photo? It seems like I remember some of the Gardner family and employees driving cars with such modifications in '53-'54.
                        Last edited by Bob Bryant; 01-09-2013, 09:23 AM. Reason: spelling
                        "Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional." author unknown

Comment

I believe the Tiger was designed by Lowey studios too.
                          I'd certainly appreciate a reference to that history. I've been in, around and/or owned a Sunbeam Tiger since 1971 and tried to buy every book ever printed on them but never came across any reference to Loewy involvement at Rootes Group. The 1965-67 Tiger was a variant of the 1959 Sunbeam Alpine which debuted with higher tailfins and evolved into final form in 1964.

There is a lot of similarity to the front end....and the tail fins (to the 53s).

Just goes to show it's in the eye of the beholder; I've looked at both cars forever and didn't see it but there are some similarities in the front fender-grill area. More seem to think the Alpine was influenced by the '55-57 Thunderbirds.

jack vines
                          PackardV8

Comment

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
                            I'd certainly appreciate a reference to that history. I've been in, around and/or owned a Sunbeam Tiger since 1971 and tried to buy every book ever printed on them but never came across any reference to Loewy involvement at Rootes Group. The 1965-67 Tiger was a variant of the 1959 Sunbeam Alpine which debuted with higher tailfins and evolved into final form in 1964.

Just goes to show it's in the eye of the beholder; I've looked at both cars forever and didn't see it but there are some similarities in the front fender-grill area. More seem to think the Alpine was influenced by the '55-57 Thunderbirds.

jack vines
                            I can see that thunderbird resemblence too. Maybe they both are copies of the studie!

Comment

I'm not sure where I got that idea, whether I read it somewhere or just assumed it. I just now googled lowey sunbeam and got a few light hits. Apparently they did the first alpine in 52 to 54 or so but may not have been involved in the later one.

Or perhaps one of his designers left and did it working for another studio. I read several british magazines so perhaps I read it there. Lowey studios were involved in lot of car design work for many different companies.

Comment

Working...
                              X