Rotella-T oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rotella-T oil

This past weekend, I noticed the local Tractor-Supply changed their Rotella-T containers to the ones with the new CJ formulation. Good-bye to an old friend.
    OTOH, nest to it was what looked like a store brand (Black bottle) for Diesel engines and tractors, 15W40 and CI designation...

Bob Johnstone
    64 GT Hawk (K7)
    1970 Avanti (R3)

Wally-Mart still has CI in gallons - sometimes on the same shlf next to the CJ. They have Rotella-T, as well as others.

Las Vegas, NV
    '51 Champion Business Coupe G899965 10G-Q4-1434

Comment

Not ALL Walmarts carry CI-4. I spent 40 minutes searching the shelves at my local store: no Rotella-T and the ONLY CI-4 I could find was Delo-400. Rotella in the new CJ formulation was much in evidence, but not the CI. I have no experience with Delo/Chevron oils. Hope this is not a sign of things to come. And with all the talk about enthanol I'm wondering how long it will be before all fuel will include alcohol. The enthanol industry is advertising here abouts that the only fuel which should be marketed is E-85. How they think we have enough land to produce that much grain or biomass escapes me. It is one thing for Brazil to do it; quite another for the US. Brazil probably consumes five percent as much internal combustion fuels as does the US.

wagone and the Old R2 Avanti

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 55Prez

This past weekend, I noticed the local Tractor-Supply changed their Rotella-T containers to the ones with the new CJ formulation. Good-bye to an old friend.
        OTOH, nest to it was what looked like a store brand (Black bottle) for Diesel engines and tractors, 15W40 and CI designation...
        Before I could find Rotella in smaller containers I used the "store brand" 15-40. In fact I had that in the cranck case of the Avanti on the westbound 3,000 miles of the Route 66 trip.

[img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/R-4.JPG[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/64L.JPG[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/64P.jpg[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/53K.jpg[/img=right]Paul Johnson
        '53 Commander Starliner (since 1966)
        '64 Daytona Wagonaire (original owner)
        '64 Daytona Convertible (2006)
        Museum R-4 engine
        Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
        '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

My local big box store is selling off all the CI-4 Rotella-t at $8.88 per gallon. I've been stocking up at that price. The non-closeout shelf has the new CJ formulation at the regular price.

Comment

My dad used Delo 400 in our diesel tractors for over 30 years in southwestern Arizona--115+ degree temps, etc. He swore by it and as far as I know never had any oil-related problems. Seems to work fine in my 259 too but the engine only has a bit over 5,000 miles on it, so...

jj

Comment

A respected engine builder I know did some independent testing - (old CI-4/CI-4+) Rotella was inconsistent with ZDDP levels - the other major diesel oils (Chevron Delo, Mobil Vac?) were much more consistent with the 800-1100ppm ZDDP.

Daddy always said, if yer gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough & I'm one tough sumbitch!
              -------------------
              Daddy always said, if yer gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough & I\'m one tough sumbiatch!

Comment

You might want to try a West Marine Store or their online catalog as they carry both Rotella T and other brands of oil that are formulated for diesel boat engines. I use an oil made by Sunoco in my 10 cylinder Man diesels. These engines are 1000HP and work much harder than any automotive engine I can think of. The Man's have non hydraulic lifters as my Studebaker and I think the oils made for marine diesels is heavy with the correct additive for a Studebaker application. Hope this helps.

64 GT Hawk

Comment

Our local Pep-Boys has a shelf of Rotella-T with the C1-4 designation. I bought 20 @ $8.99 each and a store employee said they had many cases left. Might want to try it.
                  Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain !

http://sites.google.com/site/intrigu...tivehistories/

(/url) https://goo.gl/photos/ABBDQLgZk9DyJGgr5

Comment

I've been reading this topic with much interest. Is all this hullabaloo simply in regards to Studebakers or for all old vintage automobiles?

Next, and I hope this is not too stupid of a question, but in perusing through some of the old posts on this subject, a comment was made that a person could continue using (for example) Pennzoil or Quaker State 10/30 or 10/40 regular motor oil and add a can of STP to it at every oil change.

Is STP still available and is this a viable alternative to messing with all the various types of diesel oils and whatever else is out there?

1962 GT Hawk 4sp

Comment

This is a germain subject for any engine with flat top tappets (where they contact the cam) and without catalytic converters. The phosphorus and zink in CI-4 oils is a friction reducer for these cams. Roller cams, from the last 15 years or so don't need the friction reduction and the oil formulation has been changed.

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Bothcars.jpg[/img=left]
                      Tom Bredehoft
                      '53 Commander Coupe
                      '60 Lark VI
                      '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
                      All three Indiana built OD cars

Comment

Shell has in Europe RIMULA super with CI classification I think it is
                        probably the same as ROTELLA T.

Comment

I just came back from visiting a large (large for us anyway) auto parts store and while there noticed a container of Rotella-T. This particular label had both CI-4 plus And the new CJ rating on it. What is the change (again) all about to the CJ rating? On the face of it it would appear that ANY oil labelled CJ wouldn't have enough zinc to help lube the flat tappets even IF the label also said CI-4 plus. But then I may be missing the change brought about with the CJ designation.

wagone and the Old R2 Avanti

Comment

You guys didn't answer my question:.....is STP still available and will adding a can to regular oil, suffice in lieu of getting diesel oil?

Karl

Comment

The Co-Operator session Tuesday at SB said "maybe". but the analysis of STP hasn't been done so they aren't sure. I asked, they answered.

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Bothcars.jpg[/img=left]
                              Tom Bredehoft
                              '53 Commander Coupe
                              '60 Lark VI
                              '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
                              All three Indiana built OD cars

Comment

Working...
                              X