No announcement yet.

What Kind of Shifter is This?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission / Overdrive: What Kind of Shifter is This?

Is this a Studebaker factory shifter or an aftermarket job?
    And what can I do about a shift lever for it? Anyone know?
    It's for my buddy's T86E 3-speed OD trans that we're putting into his '49 Stude pickup.

Click image for larger version

Name:	medium.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	28.2 KB
ID:	1734454Click image for larger version

Name:	medium.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	28.7 KB
ID:	1734455
    1953 Chev. 210 Convertible, 261 6cyl w/Offy dual intake (But I always did love Studebakers!)
    1995 Dodge/Cummins Pickup, 250 HP, 620 Ft. Lbs. of Torque, ATS trans.
    Robert Rausch

I think it's probably aftermarket. An Indy or something. You can weld a lever onto it.
    Even better, I would suggest you go with something like this.
    Attached Files
    Jerry Forrester
    Forrester's Chrome
    Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

No Idea what that linkage is, but it looks fabbed to me.
      I know my '49 C-cab 3 speed OD T-86 top loader has fire wall and colum mounted linkage that shifts up and down from a forward angle. But my truck is modified as well so no telling what is correct for these until someone with more knowledge jumps in.

edited: My truck has column shift and your set up looks to be for a floor shifter. Different animals.
      Last edited by kmac530; 12-06-2011, 05:57 PM.

Comment

Jerry, how would I go with that one? Cut the lever off and weld it onto the existing shifter?
        1953 Chev. 210 Convertible, 261 6cyl w/Offy dual intake (But I always did love Studebakers!)
        Robert Rausch

Comment

I have had a couple of rods with aftermarket shifters that looked similar. Back in the day, many of them had cheap plastic bushings that would get brittle and crack. When that happens, they get sloppy and are subject to hanging up. I improved the ones I had by making my own copper bushings and keeping them lubricated.
          John Clary
          Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Originally posted by rrausch View Post
            Jerry, how would I go with that one? Cut the lever off and weld it onto the existing shifter?
            Ha! No, do away with the shifter that is bolted onto your tranny. Remove the top cover from the tranny and bolt the Jeep shifter on in it's place. Not quite that easy, but almost.
            Jerry Forrester
            Forrester's Chrome
            Douglasville, Georgia

Comment

Never seen one like that. Over the years, I've probably installed, bought and sold twenty Studes with floor shift conversions, but that's a new one on me.

jack vines
              PackardV8

Comment

Thanks guys.
                Jack, I was told the trans came out of a Hawk.

What year jeeps would I need to rob for this shifter?
                And more importantly, would mounting the shift lever top-loader style move the shift lever too far forward so that it would bang into the dash in Rev. and 2nd?
                Or would rebuilding this linkage I have and finding a shift lever for it mount it too far back so that 1st and 3rd would bang into the seat?

Is there anyone here who has a T86 with a floor shift in their '49-'53 pickup?
                Robert Rausch

Comment

Not sure, but I'm thinking '70's. I have one but would have to check it's condition. I will take $50 for it if it's usable or repairable.

And more importantly, would mounting the shift lever top-loader style move the shift lever too far forward so that it would bang into the dash in Rev. and 2nd?
                  Or would rebuilding this linkage I have and finding a shift lever for it mount it too far back so that 1st and 3rd would bang into the seat?
                  Not if you have a torch. <G>
                  Jerry Forrester
                  Forrester's Chrome
                  Douglasville, Georgia

Comment

It's a 3 speed early corvette shifter.

Comment

Back in the 70's J.C. Whitney sold ones like these to convert a colum shift to a floor shift. My brother and I when we were teenagers put one in his '63 Nova. as I recall it was kinda clunky and it reveresed the shift pattern. Come to think of it, we may have installed it wrong!

Comment

If the shift pattern was reversed you didn't turn the trans levers the right way. I drove a T cab many years ago that was like that.
                        "In the heart of Arkansas."
                        Searcy, Arkansas
                        1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                        1952 2R pickup

Comment

Thanks guys.
                          Jack, I was told the trans came out of a Hawk.

Is there anyone here who has a T86 with a floor shift in their '49-'53 pickup?
                          The first Studebaker truck that my brother rebuilt used the Jeep type shifter in the top of a T-86. The shifter comes through the floor where you would expect a truck shifter to be. No clearance issues with the seat or dash.
                          "In the heart of Arkansas."
                          Searcy, Arkansas
                          1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                          1952 2R pickup

Comment

I built a '50 Chevy in the early '60's that had two floor shift levers, one for first-reverse and one for second-third. Just couldn't afford a real floor shift conversion kit.
                            Jerry Forrester
                            Forrester's Chrome
                            Douglasville, Georgia

Comment

Flashback, how do you know it's an early Corvette shifter?

Jerry, improvisation is the Heart and Soul of hot-rodding! Hopefully your girlfriend didn't kick the 2nd/3rd lever when you were backing up!
                              Robert Rausch

Comment

Working...
                              X