View Full Version : Adding a toilet roll holder to the old gal

06-17-2007, 12:12 PM
I need some advice on how to hook-up a Fram filter housing on a 164 engine. There appear to be two places I can get oil to the filter - one at the oil gauge pick up at the pump and a second at a fitting just ahead of the pump in what appears to be a galley running forward in the lower block. Can either of these be used or is there another place to hook-up? Where do I attach the oil return line from the housing to the engine/pan? Thanks guys.

06-18-2007, 12:06 AM
Shall we ASSume[:0] by the title of this thread you mean a FRANTZ oil filter (not Fram)? There is a difference--and not just the way it feels.:D

(read it backwards;))

06-18-2007, 06:58 AM
No, I do mean Fram. They both worked in the same manner. Back in the 40's and 50's people of limited means like myself would use a toilet paper roll in the Fram filter just like in the Frantz filter. Can you help me with the hookup? Thanks.

06-18-2007, 08:11 AM
Well, they didn't just throw in a roll of tp.... You had to use single ply and remove the inner cardboard core before hand...
Todays TP brands are all about dissolving in solution, so I doubt they would be of any real use.

Bob Johnstone

06-18-2007, 10:09 AM
All we had was single ply unscented back then and that was often stolen from the gas station's restroom. The two filter systems essentially work the same. But I think we are getting off course here. I have no intention of actually using toilet paper now that I can afford real filters. I do remember how the Frantz hooked up. The supply line came off the sending fitting for the gauge and the return was to a fitting punched and threaded into the pan. Since my Owner's manual lists the Fram as an option I assume there's a way to hook it up with out going the Frantz route. But what is it?

06-18-2007, 01:17 PM
I just looked thru a gazillion photos I have and can't find a champ engine, with the right angle. I had one that suggested the return was fitted to the oil filler tube, somehow.

On my v8, it plumbed from the DS front head to the filter and then back to the large, cast, oil filler tube.

Bob Johnstone

06-18-2007, 01:36 PM
Thanks, Bob,
I think the oil filler tube location might be right. The housing is mounted quite close to the tube. I think the supply probably comes from the fitting forward of the pump around the block and into the housing and the return goes either to the filler tube or down to the upper region of the oil pan. I've got to get out there and take another good look under all the grease and oil. On second thought, if gas prices get much higher I might go back to toilet paper filters after all.

John Kirchhoff
06-18-2007, 03:13 PM
When you talked about a toilet paper roll holder, I first thought your Champ had the rare indoor plumbing option. My folk's old Lark certainly had the drafty holes in the floor like outhouses were prone to have, but I fro some reason I don't remember the paper holder...........

06-18-2007, 03:16 PM
Eureka! I found a fitting under the gunk at the base of the oil filler tube.. so I think that pretty well answers my question. I need to clean that engine one of these days. Now, my next question is, which gas stations do you think have the best paper?

06-18-2007, 03:27 PM
This one had so many holes in the floor that it's more like a latrine than a two holer. Right now I'm working on replacing the front floors with good panels from an AZ salvage yard. Lots of patching but should look close to original when done. Got a new MIG welder so it shouldn't go too bad a job once I come up to speed with it.

John Kirchhoff
06-18-2007, 05:30 PM
Regarding those holes, if all else fails, cover them with boards off of a hog house. Don't ask me how I know.

06-19-2007, 11:42 AM
Very clever. Since, for a hog, above the boards in hog shed's roof is hog heaven. Therefore, when one is in a Stude with hog roof panels for floor boards they are in hog heaven. :)

Chucks Stude
06-19-2007, 12:12 PM
This discussion gives new meaning to the term "hog trough".........