Evolution to Alternators

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Evolution to Alternators

When did Studebaker evolve to alternators, and was it across the lineup? Thanks.

It was Two years after Chrysler did, 1963. I do not know about Ford and GM, I think it was quite a bit later.

All of the Stude. Cars switched, but Trucks were later in the year model '63 or '64, I have seen many of both Gen. and Alt.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I believe that the advent of air conditioning systems spurred the need for alternators. I remember stalled cars causing huge problems in heavy traffic due to batterys losing charge as they idled in slow-moving traffic. Since alternators are capable of producing a charge at relatively slow RPM, it was the logical solution.

As a youngster visiting Myrtle Beach South Carolina in the early '60's...I witnessed a traffic jam worthy of todays rush hour in NYC due to stalled cars with dead batteries. The main drag called Ocean Boulevard is usually a snail's pace on summer evenings. It didn't take too many cars equipped with generator systems and air conditioners to bring everything to a halt. Tow truck operators loved it.
      John Clary
      Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

StudeRich, thanks for the reply. So it was across the board for '63, all models. As far as Chrysler is concerned, the '60 Valiant was the 1st along with the '60 300 F "Special"(400HP, 4-speed) for '60. All the rest of the Chrysler line received them in '61. Ford switched for the '65 model year. Wierd though, as it had to do with production dates. For example, the '65 Mustangs some people refer to as '64 1/2 models (very eary '65 model runs) have generators, while later produced Mustangs have alternators. As far as GM is concernerned, Corvettes were 1st in '63 with the new Stingray, then I believe the balance of GM cars got them in '64. Thanks again, Dan

Comment

Originally posted by CarCrosswordDan View Post
          StudeRich, thanks for the reply. So it was across the board for '63, all models. As far as Chrysler is concerned, the '60 Valiant was the 1st along with the '60 300 F "Special"(400HP, 4-speed) for '60. All the rest of the Chrysler line received them in '61. Ford switched for the '65 model year. Wierd though, as it had to do with production dates. For example, the '65 Mustangs some people refer to as '64 1/2 models (very eary '65 model runs) have generators, while later produced Mustangs have alternators. As far as GM is concernerned, Corvettes were 1st in '63 with the new Stingray, then I believe the balance of GM cars got them in '64. Thanks again, Dan
          As stated, Studebaker had them across the car line for 1963. I thought that it should be mentioned that Studebaker offered alternators for fleet orders in earlier years.

Dan - You just won points with me. There is no such thing as a 1964 or 1964 1/2 Mustang. Mustangs were introduced in April of 1964 as 1965 model cars. I understand that some people use the '64 1/2 to identify cars with the early features, but they are still 1965 model cars.
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

My mothers '63 Impala which I got took my Driver license test in had an alternator.
            Oglesby,Il.

Comment

Originally posted by CarCrosswordDan View Post
              My Chevy parts book shows alternatiors as being optional (presumably on air conditioned vehicles and some trucks) in 61 and 62, and standard equipment on all models in 63.
              Skip Lackie

Comment

My dad's 61 Oldsmobile Super 88 had a generator, and A/C...and a tube radio.

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                  As stated, Studebaker had them across the car line for 1963. I thought that it should be mentioned that Studebaker offered alternators for fleet orders in earlier years.
                  As Gary mentioned, I've has three pre-1963 Studebaker's with factory equipped alternators. Both my '61 fleet police cars and my '60 Marshal all came with optional alternators. You may have to check the '59 and earlier fleet model brochures for "first" year availability.
                  Skinny___'59 Lark VIII Regal____'60 Lark Marshal___

Comment

StudeGary, you are so right. That has always bugged me as well. Dan

Comment

I am convined that a 1 wire Gm Alt will be the best choice for Sandi's 61 Hawk.
                      Good Roads
                      Brian
                      Brian Woods
                      woodysrods@shaw.ca
                      1946 M Series (Shop Truck)

Comment

Working...
                      X