Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cool beans / ABC News: Contractor spearheads "Made in America"

'Happy to post this:

(I wish they would have highlighted which components were made in Indiana. <GGG>)

'Bully for all involved. (Thanks to SDCers Don Galeziewski and Larry Swanson for forwarding this to me at the same time!) BP
    Last edited by BobPalma; 12-05-2011, 04:27 AM.
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
    'Happy to post this:

(I wish they would have highlighted which components were made in Indiana. <GGG>)

'Bully for all involved. (Thanks to SDCers Don Galeziewski and Larry Swanson for forwarding this to me at the same time!) BP
    What a great post Bob, thanks for sharing!!! If we can just get some folks to get past the sins of the past of American-made things, and agree to pay even a little more, this country could be great again.
    Bill Pressler
    Kent, OH
    (formerly Greenville, PA)
    Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
    Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
    1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
    1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
    All are in Australia now

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Pressler View Post
      What a great post Bob, thanks for sharing!!! If we can just get some folks to get past the sins of the past of American-made things, and agree to pay even a little more, this country could be great again.
      That's a "polite" thought, there, Bill, but I think builders who buy China-made materials today are more likely chasing price than quality...perceived or actual. <GGG>

One of the more unusual things about that video is at the very end, where a builder was simply unaware of a J-bolt manufacturer in the United States. That is, he had not priced that domestic company because he didn't know they existed.

'Can't help but wonder how much of that goes on, in reality, with so few domestic manufacturers making some of those items. BP
      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

John Clary
        Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
          'Happy to post this:

I found Maze nails at Lowe's several years ago and have found them MUCH less likely to buckle when you don't hit them squarely as I am prone to do.
          A couple years ago we were determined to find American-made toys for our grandson's birthday. Took us all day of looking, but finally found a plastic wheel barrow at K-Mart and a Slinky at another store, both American made.
          Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
          '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Originally posted by jclary View Post
            Pardon me for this moment of skepticism (I wasn’t always this way), but, did I notice a Scion logo on the steering wheel of the car the “Made in America” reporter was driving?

Any story I see from a member of the so-called “Main-stream media” is now met with a little suspicion. What are their motives? Are they beginning to feel a bit guilty and starting to realize all the damage they have done by allowing themselves to become pawns of agenda lead propagandists? Are they beginning to realize that freedom of the press and free speech must be tempered with factual responsibility?

Have they become aware that their jobs could be the next to be “outsourced?” With today’s technology…how much could be saved by moving their studio to China or India? I’m sure that for a lot less money, off-shore English-speaking reporters would be happy to dress up and read a teleprompter on the evening news.

Just thinking….

Or are you looking for evil intent when there is none, and the story is just a good story. They have been doing the Made in America series for a year or more, but often with a harder time finding American products.
            JDP Maryland

Comment

Those products would be truly Made in America if the equipment, tools, computers used to design the products, raw materials, ect. were American made also. There is nothing made anymore that you can honestly say is 100% American made. Even the carpenters tools that they used to build that house were most likely made somewhere else then America. A good story, but not completely true.
              Last edited by JJWMACHINECO; 12-05-2011, 09:38 AM.
              sigpic

J&JW Machine Co.
              Bubbaland South
              Resident Machinist

Comment

Maybe so, but IMHO this is certainly a step in the right direction.
                Bill Pressler
                Kent, OH
                All are in Australia now

Comment

Originally posted by JJWMACHINECO View Post
                  Those products would be truly be Made in America if the equipment, tools, computers used to design the products, raw materials, ect. were American made also. There is nothing made anymore that you can say honestly say is 100% American made. Even the carpenters tools that they used to build that house were most likely made somewhere else then America. A good story, but not completely true.
                  Taking that to its logical extension, then, nothing was ever 100% "American" made, Jeff.

If we walked through South Bend Lathe or Studebaker or Bendix in South Bend in 1956, I'm sure we could have found something with a tag on it that said, "Made in Germany," or some such.

We have to go with the general idea, here, and not pick it to death.

If the nails were manufactured from raw material somewhere in Illinois and one of the material handling trucks was assembled by Toyota in Columbus IN from some parts sourced in Japan, then the nails were still manufactured in The United States.

When they are pounded (oops, driven) into the house being built, they are one United-States-manufactured component of the house being built of U.S.-manufactured building materials, which is the point of the newsclip. BP

Comment

Wouldn't it be a nice ironic (pun alert) twist if the american made nails contained lots of steel salvaged from crushed up Hondas and Toyotas!
                    John Clary
                    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Originally posted by jclary View Post
                      Wouldn't it be a nice ironic (pun alert) twist if the american made nails contained lots of steel salvaged from crushed up Hondas and Toyotas!

Except those Honda's and Toyota's could have been made in the USA from crushed Fords and Chevy's.
                      JDP Maryland

Comment

Originally posted by JDP View Post
                        Except those Honda's and Toyota's could have been made in the USA from crushed Fords and Chevy's.
                        The most "American Made" vehicles sold in the USA are, ISTR, a Toyota followed by a Honda, and the same situation happens in Canada, where a Toyota and and Honda (different models) lead the list. So, crushing those Korean-made Chevys and Mexican-made Fords might have been a good thing!

Comment

Too bad people have to be REMINDED !!!

Comment

Originally posted by (S) View Post
                            Too bad people have to be REMINDED !!!
                            Yep. And I'll keep "reminding" until I die.
                            Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
                            Romans 15:13
                            Deuteronomy 31:6
                            Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

The most "American made" vehicle is a Toyota, yet the Japanese tsunami completely hamstrung them (is that a word?) here. Also, it was very clear during the recent recall debacle that big decisions still come out of Japan for them. Not all domestic brands are built elsewhere, and not all foreign brands are built here. It is common knowledge that the Detroit Three employ more workers, and also U.S. suppliers, than any of the foreign manufacturers.

The only Korean built model sold at Chevrolet dealers was the Aveo, no longer manufactured, and I believe it was not a secret that it was being sold as a 'captive import'.

Its replacment, the Sonic, is built in Michigan and is the only subcompact built in America. Period.
                              Bill Pressler
                              Kent, OH
                              All are in Australia now

Comment

Working...
                              X