PDA

View Full Version : Standard bellhousings on 65-66 models

Jeff T.
06-16-2007, 11:59 PM
Did studebaker use a GM standard transmission bellhousing on the 65-66 models? (as opposed to the automatic bellhousing they made to continuse using the flightomatics)

I was looking at the 65-66 parts manual the other day and the clutch linkage looked more GM than Studebaker or did the Studebaker engineers make an original studebaker Bellhousing with GM clutch rods and other parts.

I wonder because the other day I bought a 65-66 taxi transmission and the case has ears on it similar to some other GM transmissions and a few T-10s.

Jeff T.

"I'm getting nowhere as fast as I can"
The Replacements.

Swifster
06-17-2007, 12:21 AM
Before Chevrolet used Muncie transmissions in the Corvette and SS cars, they used Borg-Warners just like Studebaker. I'm not going to say they used GM bellhousings because I don't know, but it wouldn't suprise me. But keep in mind that the '65 & '66 Studebakers didn't use a 4-speed (all were 3-speeds). Did GM use B/W 3-speed transmissions? I don't know this either. Without seeing them side-by-side, I don't know if anyone can give you a definite answer. Input shaft length will also impact the bellhousing as well.

If you are looking at automatics, any GM trans should bolt up, but other adjustments would need to be made. Studebaker used the FOM to the very end.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tom - Valrico, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i280/Swifster/1965_Studebaker_Commander_front198x.jpg