PDA

View Full Version : eBay Avanti listing

AnAvanti4Bob
12-02-2011, 11:35 PM
Howdy, does anyone know the provenance or any other info on this 1964 Avanti (2nd listing on eBay)? Is the seller a member of the SDC or AOAI? I thought from his seller id that it might be Bob Palma ("bpbp6p43") , but the city is different. The Avanti registry only shows this car as an eBay listing now in and in 2009 (R5166). Thanks for any info you may have, Bob (still looking for a '63, but expanding search to include '64's)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160690614915&BackToListReferer=http%3A%2F%2Fmy.ebay.com%2Febaymotors%2Fws%2FeBayISAPI.dll%3FM yEbayBeta

sweetolbob
12-03-2011, 08:29 AM
Howdy, does anyone know the provenance or any other info on this 1964 Avanti (2nd listing on eBay)? Is the seller a member of the SDC or AOAI? I thought from his seller id that it might be Bob Palma ("bpbp6p43") , but the city is different. The Avanti registry only shows this car as an eBay listing now in and in 2009 (R5166). Thanks for any info you may have, Bob (still looking for a '63, but expanding search to include '64's)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160690614915&BackToListReferer=http%3A%2F%2Fmy.ebay.com%2Febaymotors%2Fws%2FeBayISAPI.dll%3FM yEbayBeta

Bob

I believe that this one has been discussed before so you might try a search. Jim Mc's R2 went for a lot more as it also had original air in the spare. But, It may be just me and my general lack of knowledge but unless Avantis were painted with the weatherstripping in place the passenger door shot looks like a repainted area. Not a real downer but not sure about the unmolested claim.

I'd want to go look and ask the owner a lot of questions. In any case, a pretty car.

Bob

Sdude
12-03-2011, 09:24 AM
I'm curious how the driver's seat became worn after less than 10,000 miles. Perhaps it was sat in a lot.

Welcome
12-03-2011, 10:00 AM
>>>But, It may be just me and my general lack of knowledge but unless Avantis were painted with the weather-stripping in place the passenger door shot looks like a repainted area. Not a real downer but not sure about the unmolested claim.<<<.
Bob

Bob & Bob,

At least in my mind, I justified the "issue" of a little paint overspray on some weather-strips after reading the "Lamberti Papers" published here awhile back. Apparently, Studebaker did a lot of paint repairing/refinishing of Avantis before leaving the factory ...PLUS they even brought back possibly several hundred Avantis to South Bend for more paint repairing/refinishing ...PLUS paid many Dealer warranty claims for paint repairing/refinishing of even more Avantis in the field. Once weather-strips are installed, it is VERY UNLIKELY they would have been removed, adhesives cleaned all off and new replacement seals installed after refinishing. Most likely Studebakers did as we did for vehicle paint repairs at our factory ...mask off any installed weather-strips ...do the paint refinishing ...and get it the heck out the door!!!:rolleyes:

jclary
12-03-2011, 10:09 AM
I'm curious how the driver's seat became worn after less than 10,000 miles. Perhaps it was sat in a lot.

Remember when you were a little kid on the playground in elementary school? I have often thought about how adult life is a mere continuation. Like little kids trying to impress others...like a spring colt kicking up its heels...little imaginations telling tall tales...fresh energy, showing off.

I know that back in the day, if I had been able to buy a "New Avanti" ... I probably would have put over ten thousand miles on it in a short time just trying to impress my own family. No telling how many more impressing friends!

This looks like a great car that should bring top dollar, if it is as solid as it looks, and has been taken care of and maintained. I have the original spare for my '55 truck. Outside of the curiosity (it is very spare) of its originality...it has little value. Anybody can disconnect a speedometer.

Short of a life threatening tradgedy...such as sickness, prison sentence, or death...I can't identify with how someone buys something this unique for its time and don't use it. So pardon me for a tiny bit of skepticism.:rolleyes:

sweetolbob
12-03-2011, 11:05 AM
Bob & Bob,

At least in my mind, I justified the "issue" of a little paint overspray on some weather-strips after reading the "Lamberti Papers" published here awhile back. Apparently, Studebaker did a lot of paint repairing/refinishing of Avantis before leaving the factory ...PLUS they even brought back possibly several hundred Avantis to South Bend for more paint repairing/refinishing ...PLUS paid many Dealer warranty claims for paint repairing/refinishing of even more Avantis in the field. Once weather-strips are installed, it is VERY UNLIKELY they would have been removed, adhesives cleaned all off and new replacement seals installed after refinishing. Most likely Studebakers did as we did for vehicle paint repairs at our factory ...mask off any installed weather-strips ...do the paint refinishing ...and get it the heck out the door!!!:rolleyes:

Thanks Jim

As I said, my Avanti originality knowledge wouldn't hurt if shoved under your finger nail. That does offer a reasonable explanation but as I said, the pictures raise enough issues to merit a visit and conversation.

Bob

jlmccuan
12-03-2011, 11:23 AM
Not sure if this car was at the 2011 AOAI Nationals or not. If there were engine bay pics I could be sure.

Welcome
12-03-2011, 11:31 AM
<<<but as I said, the pictures raise enough issues to merit a visit and conversation. Bob

Bob, I certainly do understand where you're coming from.

Last time the Seller had his Avanti on eBay, I did ask the questions that concerned me the most and received "reasonable" answers to all of them ...which was the reason I was in the bidding up to the very end. We'll have to wait and see what happens this time around!;)

sweetolbob
12-03-2011, 12:24 PM
Bob, I certainly do understand where you're coming from.

Last time the Seller had his Avanti on eBay, I did ask the questions that concerned me the most and received "reasonable" answers to all of them ...which was the reason I was in the bidding up to the very end. We'll have to wait and see what happens this time around!;)

Thanks again Jim

I didn't realize you were that involved in the initial listing and had asked all the questions before. In any case, as I said, it's a pretty car and I wish you the best this time around.:)

Bob

Welcome
12-03-2011, 01:46 PM
Thanks again Jim

I didn't realize you were that involved in the initial listing and had asked all the questions before. In any case, as I said, it's a pretty car and I wish you the best this time around.:)
Bob

Hey Bob, YOU …or anyone else on the Forum …please just go for this Avanti if you want it!!!:cool:

:DNo, I did not ask ALL the questions, that is for certain!!!

My questions to the Seller last time around mostly pertained to ownership rights; any lien(s), claims or any other possible incumbencies against full ownership of this Avanti. I was satisfied with the responses I received. I relied on all you "Studebaker Avanti Experts" to identify things that may not have seemed right with this Avanti in previous Forum discussions.

studegary
12-03-2011, 02:20 PM
I owned 1964 Avanti 5176 that was in a run of Avantis that were built with Allstate tires, so the Allstate part is probably correct (I now see it on the build sheet) on this car that is ten S/Ns earlier.

Mine was also Avanti red, black vinyl interior and AT, as well as the Allstates. I know that there were several cars built the same in a run.

I sold mine as a show winning restoration for $11K, but that was in the 1980s.

00RACER
12-03-2011, 03:26 PM
I think I would question the worn out rear spring bushing with 9K miles. They last for 80K miles.