Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

From the archives #84 (Big Studebaker gathering)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• From the archives #84 (Big Studebaker gathering)

Who are these guys, what is the Studebaker connection and what is the occasion?
    Richard Quinn
    Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Is the fellow sixth from the right with the hat and cane JM?

Terry

Comment

Bet they are people that were in Hangtown CA at the same time as JM Studebaker and this is taken when JM returned to Hangtown (Placerville, CA) early in the 20th century for a reunion of the Gold Miners.

Comment

Originally posted by Cowtown Commander View Post
        Bet they are people that were in Hangtown CA at the same time as JM Studebaker and this is taken when JM returned to Hangtown (Placerville, CA) early in the 20th century for a reunion of the Gold Miners.
        That would be my guess as well. Wheelbarrow Johnny and friends.
        "In the heart of Arkansas."
        Searcy, Arkansas
        1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
        1952 2R pickup

Comment

Quite the abundance of pocket watches and walking sticks!
          Brad Johnson,
          SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
          '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
          '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

It looks like the SDC board of directors and zone reps. after a recent board meeting.
            John
            1950 Champion
            W-3 4 Dr. Sedan
            Holdrege NE

Comment

Its the Ghosts of the past waiting for the 1st Studebaker to show up at the 2012 International <g>
              sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

The man in front with the hat is J. M. Studebaker.
                "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

The occasion was a reunion of 49ers in Hangtown (Placerville), CA. I think it happened in 1912.

Scott

For what it's worth, you can't copyright a photo that has already been in the public domain!
                  "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

I read that somewhere too, that this was a reunion in Hangtown.

Comment

I also note that this was back when gentlemen always removed their hats when posing for a picture. Today they not only leave 'em on, many can't even tell which way the hat is supposed to face. And that's not just kids, it's grown men!
                      Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
                      Romans 15:13
                      Deuteronomy 31:6
                      Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Scott has it right. That is John M. Studebaker and his old buddies who met for a reunion in old Placerville (nee Hangtown). They are shown in front of the Tremont House prior to a special dinner. The year was 1912 and John M. was 78. He passed away on March 17, 1917.
                        Last edited by Studebaker Wheel; 12-04-2011, 03:06 PM.
                        Richard Quinn
                        Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

Didn't you publish that, with the story, in a Turning Wheels' Almanac or Antique Studebaker Review, Dick?

It and the story certainly seem familiar. BP
                          We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

That was also in a publication put out for the centennial in 1952. I can't remember if it was included in "A Century On Wheels" or not, but I'm pretty sure it was in the magazine/flyer Studebaker made.
                            Chris Dresbach

Comment

Working...
                            X