Just a little story about Studebakers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just a little story about Studebakers

I recently bought a 63 R2 Avanti from the original owner. He's 85 YO now and can't see to drive anymore. He cried when I towed the car away. He asked me numerous questions about what I planned to do with it and if i would keep it awhile. It has been in his garage unstarted for 21 years so i have alot to do to get it running right again.
    I just think about the pride he had when he first brought it home.
    I went to buy some plugs for it and the counter guy said "Now who makes Studebaker?" I guess because I have had Studeies all my life, I just take it for granted that people know what one is. Quite a legacy this manufacturer has left!

Hopefully your close enough and will take the time to take the original owner for a nice ride when your done. That would be way cool!!

Originally posted by Buck View Post
    I recently bought a 63 R2 Avanti from the original owner. He's 85 YO now and can't see to drive anymore. He cried when I towed the car away. He asked me numerous questions about what I planned to do with it and if i would keep it awhile. It has been in his garage unstarted for 21 years so i have alot to do to get it running right again.
    I just think about the pride he had when he first brought it home.
    I went to buy some plugs for it and the counter guy said "Now who makes Studebaker?" I guess because I have had Studeies all my life, I just take it for granted that people know what one is. Quite a legacy this manufacturer has left!

Russ Shop Foreman \"Rusty Nut Garage\"
    53 2R6 289 5SpdOD (driver)
    57 SH (project)
    60 Lark VIII 2dr sd (driver)

Comment

I am pretty sure there is a law that says you have to give that man a ride in his car.

One of the best days of my life was giving my dad a ride in his.

Comment

Buck,
        There was a great chance for you to TEACH a supposed parts guy something about some automotive history { I am sure you did } and pass on a bit of this legacy.
        I think a great thing about a club like this is that thru helping each other we all gain both education and more vehichles on the road to show off and teach younger people to enjoy some history.
        I make sure that all of my 17 YO daughters friends see my truck and I tell them what it is and what year it is and time permitting even a quick Studebaker history from wagon/carriage building in the 1800s thru the closing in '66.
        My daughter and most of her friends really like vintage things right now, it is kind of popular and cool to have old things. So most of them love our truck and are excited to see getting closer to running.

I also agree, if there is ANY way possible, you need to give the PO a ride when she's running again.

PS- pics???

Comment

Originally posted by BobGlasscock View Post
          I am pretty sure there is a law that says you have to give that man a ride in his car.

One of the best days of my life was giving my dad a ride in his.
          Bob, I have had a similar feeling from one of "those" father son moments.
          My dad and I have always ridden motorcycles together, it was our thing. We both LOVE bikes and always have. We mostly rode dirtbikes, but my dad has owned alot of street bikes as well. When I was a kid we used to love going for a street ride on a nice sunny So Cal saturday afternoon and frquented the famous "Rock Store" up in the Santa Monica mountains.
          My dad sold his last street bike when I was in my pre-teens. We continued to ride dirt bikes together until the mid 90s when just realized he was gettin old and his knees just couldn't take it anymore. Well a few years later he bought a Harley, but I did not own a street bike. A few years later I bought a Harley and we went for our first on street bikes, just this time each on our own instead of me on back.
          We are out riding for a bit and I see my dad look over at me and he just looks happy. We get up the the "Rock Store" after a great ride and he looks at me and says "the last time we did this, you were a little guy hanging off the back" with a big old smile. I said "YEP, but this was almost as fun".
          Just one of those father/son moments I hope to NEVER forget.

Comment

Personally I would make sure that old Dude had a bitchen ride in the car he loved and cared for to whatever extent he did for that length of time.

I my be one of the most memorable things the new owner does with it and also for me I truly enjoy showing respect to any "old" person that deserves it.

Dean.

Comment

I will show you repect Dean....lol

Comment

I just bought a lovely 52 4dr Champion from a gentleman in his 80's. He really didn't want to sell her, but was concerned about some driving limitations. We had a number of nice long talks, visits with my mechanic, and cups of coffee before we struck a bargain. Part of the deal was that he would introduce me to our local classic car club and join me at some of the meetings. Another part of the deal was that, since he lives close by and I plan to use her as a daily driver, I will lay on the horn when I pass his house. I definitely didn't just by a great car, I made a splendid friend. As a newcomer, I want to thank kmac530 for opening up the chance to share one of my first "Studebaker memories."

Comment

CCW, thanks for the cool story, but it was Buck who started this thread and deserves the thanks. Keep making those Stude memories, hopefully there will be alot of them.

Comment

Originally posted by kmac530 View Post
                    CCW, thanks for the cool story, but it was Buck who started this thread and deserves the thanks. Keep making those Stude memories, hopefully there will be alot of them.
                    And get on that horn!
                    Good roads
                    Brian
                    Brian Woods
                    woodysrods@shaw.ca
                    1946 M Series (Shop Truck)

Comment

I am trying to get it running as soon as I can. Seems like I am always waiting on parts. Everytime I see the old man he tells me " I'm not going to be here much longer" so I sure hope I can get it goind soon. He turned down 3 times what I paid him because the guy said he wanted to make a street rod out of it. He gave me a whole bunch of extra parts and a milk crate of turning wheels. They came and looked at last week and his wife said to him. " i think the right person got the car" made me feel good. I'll keep it the rest of my life and then I give it to someone that will appreciate it as much as I do.

Comment

Buck, you're doing us proud! Thanks for posting this great story.
                        Dave Nevin
                        Corvallis, OR
                        1953 Champion Deluxe Coupe
                        Stud-e-venture blog

Comment

The original owners of my 1947 Champion sedan were a brother and sister in Halifax, Nova Scotia, who drove it for 20 years. I am the third owner, having bought it six years after they sold it. After having an engine rebuild and body/paint restoration completed, I visited the original owners and took him out for a drive. (His sister was not well enough to go out.) I still remember her exact words when she looked out their sunporch window and saw the car in their driveway. "Oh Robbie," she said to her brother, "is that our car? It looks so nice!" Those words made me feel so glad, that I had brought some pleasure and happy memories to two very elderly people. Later, he sent me the original invoice for the car, and a sales brochure he got before buying the car. Neeedless to say, I treasure both, as the car is still mine, 38 years after buying it, and 35 years after the visit.
                          Bill Jarvis

Comment

Buying a Studebaker from an original owner must be extremely rare these days. Good luck with the car!
                            sigpic
                            In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Greenstude,
                              Bill that was a really cool post. Kinda gave me goose bumps. Even as I read thru it the first time, I imagined her being old and read her words in my head with an old lady voice and it made the quote feel very real to me. I could actually picture the whole scene in my head.Thanks for posting that story on top of Bucks already cool thread.
                              You ever thought of writing a book? I would read it.
                              Buck you keep it up too. Good stuff.

Comment

Working...
                              X