Vintage racing picture with a Stude!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vintage racing picture with a Stude!

We were just talking about our friend and probably the greatest driver ever to turn a wheel at Oswego Speedway, the late Jimmy Shampine. So I went to retrorockets.com take a trip down memory lane on the Shampine tribute page.

The first picture on the page is from Opening Day in Spring '62. Here's a very young Jimmy by his car:

Note his tow vehicle!

I've mentioned before, When I built my first Street Stock I had the audacity to go to already legendary Jimmy's parts store as a total stranger, dumb teenage kid to ask for advice. He could have brushed me off, but went out of his way to spend time giving me info, and even pulled new shocks off his shelf and GAVE them to me- total unknown, dumb country boy. That was the start of a great mentor/student relationship until his tragic death in a Modified at Oswego in 1982.

Like always, I have to say, RIP and God Bless you, Jimmy.

As for them there Studes- you never know where they'll turn up
    Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
    Romans 15:13
    Deuteronomy 31:6
    Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Well, 'good thing he's only beside the 8-Ball and not behind it! BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Great pic. Thanks for sharing it.
      Joe Roberts
      '61 R1 Champ
      '65 Cruiser
      Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Working...
      X