OE seats?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OE seats?

Are these plywood looking seat backs actually original? Or are these not plywood?

On my Daytona (which this is not) Wagonaire, where the seat bottom sits is very thick (bare) plywood, and the *underside* is carpeted. This is hinged at the front and folds up against the front bench seat, so that the back of the back seat (carpeted on the back) can fold down flat. What you see when you fold it up is more matching carpet, along with some metal the same colour of the carpet. You would never see the plywood unless you remove the seat bottom from the box it sits on and the fold-up mechanism, which I did. This is about the only place where the carpet will be the original colour. As far as the back of the front bench seat, no, I don't think even the cheapest model would have been plywood--this is some sort of a shade tree fix I'm thinking for a busted seat back

On this car, although it seems in one piece and working, the colour scheme everywhere has been changed it seems, like under the hood. If you are going to repaint it, why not do it right, or at least right-ish?. Never been a fan of red cars with brown interiors. Brown with red perhaps (its a Kaiser thing, like a maroon or light grey exterior matched with BRIGHT (Cardinal) red alligator vinyl)

Comment

Yep - those look like the stock seats with the carpeting and/or vinyl removed.
      Scott Rodgers
      Los Angeles
      SDC Member since 1989
      \'60 Lark HT
      \'63 Wagonaire
      \'66 Frankenbaker

Comment

For what it's worth, the car seems to have all of its fiberboard headliner pieces - not something you see everyday.
        Scott Rodgers
        Los Angeles
        SDC Member since 1989
        \'60 Lark HT
        \'63 Wagonaire
        \'66 Frankenbaker

Comment

YES! I meant to mention that. That is the only complete (ish) Wagonaire headliner (with the exception of an exceptional wagon at Glendale) I have seen since they first came out!

Comment

Originally posted by scott.rodgers View Post
            Yep - those look like the stock seats with the carpeting and/or vinyl removed.
            For the fold-up base for the rear seat bottom, I agree. For the back of the front bench seat, no, that would be added on by someone. Its normally fabric or vinyl over a metal seat frame with springs etc.

Comment

Look at the door jambs.The original color was gold,the red exterior is red primer.
              Oglesby,Il.

Comment

The dash is in amazing condition also.

Comment

FWIW the rear cargo floor/spare tire cover is also plywood.
                  Also under the rear seat is a good storage place for tools and spare parts.

Comment

I didn't even see the plywood on the back of the front seat - yeah, that's weird and non-original.
                    Scott Rodgers
                    Los Angeles
                    SDC Member since 1989
                    \'60 Lark HT
                    \'63 Wagonaire
                    \'66 Frankenbaker

Comment

Am about to put a headliner (original one is still there with some fiberboard available for touch through a large opening) in a Champ. Is that the fiberboard pieces you refer to? No mention in the shop manual. Thanks
                      Last edited by GTCruiser; 12-02-2011, 01:30 PM. Reason: Should have proofread the first message, sorry.

Comment

Working...
                      X