Head Liner Tightning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body / Glass: Head Liner Tightning

Recently had a new head liner install ed by an experienced upholsterer.When car came back,headliner was very good. It has sat in my garage for 2 weeks,now has somesags in it. upholsterer has gone south for winter so cant communicate with him.Wondering if I put some heat in the car and/or use a hair dryer will this remove the sags ??

I don't know what car you have, so, fixing yours might depend on what kind of material it is. One of my shop manuals , (I think it is early '50's) instructs installers to dampen the cloth before installing. That way the headliner material shrinks tighter as it dries. I wonder if that was the way they installed them at the factory. Perhaps that is why some of the roofs of these cars have surface rust on the inside when you remove the headliner.
    John Clary
    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Originally posted by mrjazzmillcreek View Post
      if I put some heat in the car and/or use a hair dryer will this remove the sags ??
      ....Yes....
      Jerry Forrester
      Forrester's Chrome
      Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

Head Liner Tightning

Originally posted by jclary View Post
        . That way the headliner material shrinks tighter as it dries. I wonder if that was the way they installed them at the factory. Perhaps that is why some of the roofs of these cars have surface rust on the inside when you remove the headliner.
        That rust on the underside of the roof is from condensation forming over the years and not drying fast enough.

As far as trying to do the headliner, spend about an hour with the Yellow Pages and call a few "trim shops". The material they used back then was almost like a "non woven" fabric and it can frey, rip and fall down. There are guys in this hobby who have golden hands, and whatevr they touch not only works but looks great.

You really don't want to mess with it and then have the headliner fail and you have nothing to play with.

BG

Comment

Ray,wrinkles and small sags are ususally removed by upholstery shops using a steamer tool.
          Frank van Doorn
          Omaha, Ne.
          1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
          1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
          1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

Thanks for the info,this is a plastic material,66 Daytona,will try the steam route

Comment

Working...
            X