PDA

View Full Version : Design comparison

tstoj38
11-30-2011, 11:40 AM
Interesting design comparison between a 38 Studebaker and an Airflow. Which has the best body lines.

FlatheadGeo
11-30-2011, 12:10 PM
I vote for the lovely lady straddling both cars!

r1lark
11-30-2011, 01:38 PM
IMHO............the Airflow, hands down!

warrlaw1
11-30-2011, 01:42 PM
Great shot. Thanks for posting.

RadCruiser
11-30-2011, 02:16 PM
There is cars in that picture?

kmac530
11-30-2011, 02:36 PM
I think the Stude is nicer for rodding and just a classic look, but if you want odd cool, the Airflow for me.

kmac530
11-30-2011, 02:40 PM
I think for classic looks and maybe a sweet rod base, the Stude. But if you want a cool, odd looking different ride it is the Airflow for me.

Flashback
11-30-2011, 02:55 PM
I can't see either of the cars

warrlaw1
11-30-2011, 03:30 PM
Front of the Airflow sort of looks like a Divco. Any relation in designers?

woodysrods
11-30-2011, 10:22 PM
Not to bad mouth Studebaker....but this was a good way to make the Chysler Airflow look better!
Good Roads
Brian

avantilover
12-01-2011, 01:33 AM
They're both nice, but the Airflow is the one I'd have as it was so different to the other cars of that time.

Studebaker Wheel
12-01-2011, 03:37 AM
http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee285/studeq/newsgroup/chryslerairanmy38.jpg?t=1322728296

Am I the only one on this forum who owns a '38 Studebaker and a Chrysler Airflow?? Actually the airflow is 1/3 mine purchased recently along with 16 other cars out of a PA estate, it is a '36.
The Coupe Express is 100% mine. Incidentally the Airflow is to be sold, the Coupe Express is not on the block at this time. Guess that shows my priorities. Now if I just need get that blonde to cooperate, though I have a brunette in mind.

avantilover
12-01-2011, 04:09 AM
What a shame you'd have a classy car with the Airflow :-)~

Studebaker Wheel
12-01-2011, 02:44 PM
What a shame you'd have a classy car with the Airflow :-)~

It could be yours!

Are you saying the Coupe Express isn't classy??

clarkwd
12-01-2011, 05:21 PM
The Coupe Express is just the nuts, but the 34 Airflow also makes my top ten list of great looking cars.
http://oldcarandtruckpictures.com/Airflow/
While we are on the subject, the 36 Toyota version of the airflow is not an awful looking car.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Toyota_Model_AA.jpg
My neighbor was ten when the 35 came out and he clearly remembers how much people disliked it.
Bill

Corvanti
12-01-2011, 05:33 PM
i've always loved/wanted an airflow.
but, Mr. Quinn, putting that coupe express up against it is like putting up a new corvette zr-1 against a furd fiesta!!! :)

coupe express - all the way!!!

56H-Y6
12-01-2011, 07:36 PM
Hi

The two differ for basic important reasons. The Airflow was purely an engineering exercise with aesthetic appeal completely secondary. It's major contributions were pioneering a new chassis configuration and revised passenger package that change allowed.....not to mention an early unitized body and a major foray factoring aerodynamics into functional design.

The '38 Studebaker incorporated those Airflow-pioneered principles with the marketing thrust of the Art Deco/Art Moderne aesthetic then in favor.

Which would I rather have? Can't choose! Make one a Custom Imperial Airflow CW Town Limousine, the other a President Eight State Convertible Sedan!

Steve

12-01-2011, 09:46 PM
Interesting design comparison between a 38 Studebaker and an Airflow. Which has the best body lines.
While I certainly wouldn't call a '38 Studebaker ugly, I think it was less attractive than the '37s or '39s. I never cared for the Airflow much, but it is clearly much more streamlined. The man from whom I bought the '64 Avanti was an Airflow nut. I have to admit that his Chrysler Airflow street rod (Hemi-powered), was a beautiful car. It is a later model with a better looking front end though not as streamlined as your comparison car

Studebaker Wheel
12-02-2011, 12:30 AM
You were probably not aware that The Magazine of Art declared Studebaker the car of the year?? The December 1937 issue of this publication included a feature article entitled “Design of the New Cars.” In reviewing the crop of new offerings the editor’s stated, “The new cars this year are disappointing. However well they run, however safe, however economical they are, the designers have failed to produce better-looking automobiles. To this generalization there is one exception: Studebaker brings out the car of the year and the best-looking model in its history. Raymond Loewy shaped the exteriors and Helen Dryden designed the harmonious interiors….”

avantilover
12-02-2011, 03:28 AM
Richard, I like both vehicles but was having a litte joke or as we say here "taking the piss out of you," in other words stirring.

I still think I'd have the Airflow but haven't seen one nor the Coupe-Express - perhaps some are in OZ.

It's probably a cultural thing - One Australian would say "good to see you, you old bastard" to another he/she hasn't seen for a long time, Americans would likely pull their gun thinking it an insult.

56H-Y6
12-02-2011, 08:47 AM
You were probably not aware that The Magazine of Art declared Studebaker the car of the year?? The December 1937 issue of this publication included a feature article entitled “Design of the New Cars.” In reviewing the crop of new offerings the editor’s stated, “The new cars this year are disappointing. However well they run, however safe, however economical they are, the designers have failed to produce better-looking automobiles. To this generalization there is one exception: Studebaker brings out the car of the year and the best-looking model in its history. Raymond Loewy shaped the exteriors and Helen Dryden designed the harmonious interiors….”

Hi

This critique must have been written without knowledge of and prior to the introduction of the 1938 Cadillac 60 Special in January 1938. Not only does it embody the clean, functional aesthetic of Art Deco/Art Moderne, but also pioneers the 3-box sedan architecture in a production form.
Fast forward a dozen years, in 1951 the Museum of Modern Art named it as one of eight automobiles selected as exemplary of their design ethic. The group included the Cord 810, the Lincoln Continental, the Cisitalia, a Talbot-Lago, the Jeep, the Mercedes-Benz SSK, a Bentley, the Lincoln Zephyr, a Maserati, the Jaguar Mark VII, the Volkswagen beetle.

Steve

JRoberts
12-02-2011, 08:58 AM
"Which is the best body lines?" What a question. The Airflow probably has better lines aerodynamically, but the Stude in this comparison has body lines that please my eye much better. I love the headlights in the Stude. As for the blonde....well I guess there is no comparison between the three figures in the picture.