Vacuum Guages, optional & standard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vacuum Guages, optional & standard

What models was the Vacuum Guage offered as an option and what models was it standard equipment ? Thanks, CarCrosswordDan

Originally posted by CarCrosswordDan View Post
    What models was the Vacuum Guage offered as an option and what models was it standard equipment ? Thanks, CarCrosswordDan
    FWIW:

Vacuum Gage Assembly Studebaker p/n 1539882 (Stewart-Warner Corp. # 355J) was released for use in the '56 Golden Hawk ONLY! Could someone with the "right connections" get it installed at the "Factory" in some other Hawk models ...sure! This Vacuum Gage can of course be made to mount & "function" as Studebaker Engineers intended in most any '56-'61 non-supercharged Hawk.

Comment

I believe that a vacuum/pressure gauge was standard in 1956-1958 Golden Hawks and 1963-1964 Avantis.
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

That's almost correct Gary, Welcome was right about the '56, it is a Vacuum only gauge, '57-'58 are Vacuum/Pressure Gauges for the Supercharger Boost, like all Avantis, needing both or not.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

StudeRich, thanks for the response. Would it be safe to assume that held true for '58 Packard Hawks and/or is it correct that all supercharged models came with the vac/pres guage ? Even Larks so equipped ?

Comment

StudeRich, thanks for the response. Would it be safe to assume that held true for '58 Packard Hawks and/or is it correct that all supercharged models came with the vac/pres guage ? Even Larks so equipped ?
            Yes on the Packard Hawk, but Larks and '62-'64 GT Hawks had nowhere to put one, so NO.

The difference is the Avanti and '56 to '61 Hawk/'58 Packard Hawk dash was designed for a Vacuum Gauge, behind the early Hawk simulated machine turned overlay is a hole in the fibreglass dash for it.
            That is why you see many Sky Hawks, Power Hawks, Silver Hawks, and '60-'61 Hawks with one, Ordered/Dealer Installed or added.

I believe that Studebaker felt that Tachometers were a necessity on Supercharged Cars and always included them, but not so much a Vacuum Gauge.
            Last edited by StudeRich; 11-30-2011, 11:27 PM.
            StudeRich
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

My Hawk has the vacuum gauge......useless.

Comment

A friend of mine had years ago had a cherry 64 Grand Prix with the vacuum gauge on the console. His memorable statement to me concerning its function was "tells me when I have stepped on the gas & when I let off!"
                59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
                60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
                61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
                62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
                62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
                62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
                63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
                63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
                64 Zip Van
                66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
                66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Originally posted by Warren Webb View Post
                  His memorable statement to me concerning its function was "tells me when I have stepped on the gas & when I let off!"
                  Remember, in the late '70's, that's exactly what they were sold as: a 'Fuel Economy' gauge. Even mundane family sedans in those years had them in the option book; many times in place of the clock. Instead of reading actual figures inches of mercury (HG) or +/- one PSI, they simply read 'Poor/Average/Excellent', or similar terms on red/yellow/green background.

Craig
                  Last edited by 8E45E; 12-01-2011, 11:40 AM.

Comment

StudeRich, thanks for the clarification. Based on that is it correct to assume that if you had a factory supercharged Lark, it would have a tach? Where would it be located? And, as indicated above, it would not have a vac/pres guage.

Comment

Lark Type Dashes

That is pretty much what I said here:
                      "Yes on the Packard Hawk, but Larks and '62-'64 GT Hawks had nowhere to put one, so NO."

No Vacuum Gauge, the Tachs. are in the Clock Hole.
                      All '63 to '66 Larks and Lark Types have 3 Large Instrument holes in the Instrument Cluster Panel:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Last '64 001.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	1671250

Dude, you really need to sign up and get "Turning Wheels" !

Update: OH, I almost forgot, this is the Inside Front Cover of this Month's (Dec.) 2011 Turning Wheels. It is the last non-Avanti, non-Commercial, non-Military 1964 Studebaker, built at the South Bend Plant.

It is a '64 Daytona Hardtop with Avanti R1 289 power, full performance package and 4 Speed in Bordeaux Red, with a Maroon cloth and Vinyl Interior, (too much light makes it look bright Red.)
                      It was built with a Split Bench Seat, not the Bucket Seat and Console option that most floor shift Cars had.
                      Last edited by StudeRich; 12-01-2011, 11:12 PM.
                      StudeRich
                      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Wow, they must have had to go back to '55 Speedster to get the 160 MPH Speedo, or was that used on other models as well? Couldn't get a good look at the tach but I'd bet it was a 6K unit, wouldn't you ? The car picktured appeared to be a radio delete. Thanks a lot, Dan

Comment

Wow, they must have had to go back to '55 Speedster to get the 160 MPH Speedo, or was that used on other models as well? Couldn't get a good look at the tach but I'd bet it was a 6K unit, wouldn't you ? The car picktured appeared to be a radio delete. Thanks a lot, Dan
                          Not a radio delete, just no optional radio.
                          JDP Maryland

Comment

The shifter looks the same as in the 61 Hawk w/ 4 speed. Is it??
                            59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
                            60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
                            61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
                            62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
                            62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
                            62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
                            63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
                            63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
                            64 Zip Van
                            66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
                            66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

JDP, appreciate the clarification. Dan

Comment

Working...
                              X