X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another former Stude employee, SDC'er & good friend has left us

Published in South Bend Tribune on November 29, 2011

Jan. 28, 1928 - Nov. 27, 2011
    NILES - George D. Paturalski, age 83 years, of Pucker Street in Niles, Michigan, died at 6:00 p.m. Sunday, November 27, 2011, at Saint Joseph Regional Medical Center in Mishawaka, Indiana, following an extended illness. He was born on January 28, 1928, in South Bend, Indiana, to Mike and Mary (Szarwark) Paturalski. He was raised in South Bend and moved to Niles in 1967. He was formerly employed at Studebaker and retired from A.M. General in South Bend. He was a veteran of World War II, having served in the United States Army. George was a member of Saint Mary Catholic Church in Niles and the Knights of Columbus Council #553 in South Bend. He enjoyed restoring Studebakers in his home shop and was a member of the Studebaker Drivers Club. On July 11, 1953, at Christ the King Catholic Church in South Bend, he married the former Mary L. Sossoman, who survives. He is also survived by their sons, Dennis Paturalski and Duane (& Barbara) Paturalski, both of Niles; grandchildren, Blake (& Becky) Paturalski, Leah Moncel, Chelsea Paturalski and Austa Paturalski; great-grandchildren, Levi, Sophia and Hunter; and several nieces and nephews. Mr. Paturalski was preceded in death by his sister, Virginia Vida McCarthy; and brothers, John Paturalski, Bruno "Bert" J. Paturalski and Mike Paturalski. The Mass of Christian Burial for George D. Paturalski will be celebrated at 11:00 a.m. Thursday, December 1, 2011, at Saint Mary Catholic Church in Niles by the Rev. David Otto of the parish. Committal rites will follow at Saint Joseph Valley Memorial Park in South Bend, and will conclude with the full military honors by American Legion Post #51 in Buchanan, Michigan. The family will receive relatives and friends from 6:00 until 8:00 p.m. Wednesday at the Halbritter Funeral Home in Niles, with recitation of The Rosary at 7:30 p.m.

Wow: Other than living in nearby Niles, rather than somewhere in north central Indiana, Mr. Paturalski posed for the picture of a typical South Bend resident of the era: Polish name, Roman Catholic, worked for Studebaker. You don't get any more typical than that in the area, for sure (observed respectfully, you understand).

And Paturalski on Pucker Street; now there's a tongue-twister for the mailman! BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Which reminds me of a good South-Bend area joke:

An elderly gent goes into a St. Joseph County License Branch to get his Drivers License renewed.

He is asked to take the vision test. The clerk says, "OK, look in the little viewer, there, and see if you can read Line 3:"

G R T I Z F T S H A L K E W S K I

The old gent replies, "Can I read it? Hell, I know the guy; that's my brother-in-law!"
      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
        Which reminds me of a good South-Bend area joke:

An elderly gent goes into a St. Joseph County License Branch to get his Drivers License renewed.

He is asked to take the vision test. The clerk says, "OK, look in the little viewer, there, and see if you can read Line 3:"

G R T I Z F T S H A L K E W S K I

The old gent replies, "Can I read it? Hell, I know the guy; that's my brother-in-law!"

Comment

Working...
        X