No announcement yet.

Decisions, decisions…..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Saw the '62 when it posted, since it's my favorite. Not too bad for the price, but it looks like they used a LOT of bondo when they eliminated the bumpers. I personally really dislike the look, but the unknown quality of that work- and therefore the rest of it- is an unknown quatity. The quality of that kind of think can vary widely, from careful formation of filler panels to newspaper wads covered with bondo, and everything in between. We're not talking a big buck car here, just something to consider.

Same with the '60- depends on the quality of the engine swap. Keep in mind that there is absolutely nothing wrong with modifying a car to one's own taste, but doing so greatly reduces your potential buyer market- and thereby value- if/when you want to sell. Again, in this price range we're not talking a HUGE risk.

If you like what you see with either, they might not be bad for the current prices. Just understand they're decent deals for one's own use, not any big steal or anything.
    Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
    Romans 15:13
    Deuteronomy 31:6
    Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Go look at them or get some one else to do it for you. There is plenty of rust in the northern cars.
      Klif
      55 Speedster/Street Machine
      63 Avanti R2
      64 Convertible R1

Comment

I'd vote for the 1962 with the OEM V8 engine. The other one has a powerful brand X engine, in a car that was originally a six cylinder. Unless the brakes, driveshaft, rear end, etc. was also upgraded, it may not even be safe to drive.
        Joe

Comment

If both cars were in equal overall condition, I would say the Daytona is the more desirable car. However, as others have said, they need to be eyeballed, and closely inspected by someone knowledgeable you can trust.

Someone has done a ton of work on each car and they have ended up for sale. There is a reason for the sale and, with these cars, it is often more than just for money. Be patient, do your homework. It would be better to let one or two good ones get away than to end up with a hacked up bucket of rust you could never enjoy or feel good about selling to a fellow enthusiast.
          John Clary
          Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

When asked-- I will ALWAYS pick a '60 over a '62. ALWAYS.

But Joe brings up a good point about that '60. How good is the work?

The other thing I'd want clarification on is the 'VIN' listed in the ad~
            sounds more like a body tag to me- NOT a VIN (s/n). That could get messy.
            They got the '62 right, why not both?
            Last edited by StudeDave57; 11-27-2011, 02:53 PM. Reason: &%#$@& typo
            StudeDave '57
            US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
            SDC Member since 1985

past President
            Whatcom County Chapter SDC
            San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
            San Diego Chapter SDC
            North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

i like the "look" of the 60 better, but as said previously, a 351 furd engine in a lark VI suspension may be a problem. the '62 would bother me with the "bumpers" and unknown amount of bondo, as bams stated.

i wouldn't touch either one unless i saw them in person - or - a sdc member could check them out for you.

the other thing i want to mention is the seller has many other items for sale, non-stude related. probably not a stude guy, maybe a flipper (not that there is anything wrong with that).
              Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

Originally posted by Corvanti View Post
                i like the "look" of the 60 better, but as said previously, a 351 furd engine in a lark VI suspension may be a problem. the '62 would bother me with the "bumpers" and unknown amount of bondo, as bams stated.

i wouldn't touch either one unless i saw them in person - or - a sdc member could check them out for you.

the other thing i want to mention is the seller has many other items for sale, non-stude related. probably not a stude guy, maybe a flipper (not that there is anything wrong with that).
                Maybe not. The 351 Windsor is essentially a high deck Ford 289/302 and actually weighs about 250 lbs less than a Stude V8. Too; the 289 Stude motor was a factory option for 1960 So I see no issues with the above swap assuming the frame and suspension are in good shape. However: I do have an issue with a generator instead of installing an alternator since all 302/351 Windsors came with the latter only.
                --------------------------------------

Sold my 1962; Studeless at the moment

Borrowed Bams50's sigline here:

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

Thanks for the input from all! I think I am gonna pass since I so far away that I cannot get an eyeball on them, but I will keep looking!!
                  Troy

Comment

If it were me I'd go for the 62. While I like the 60's better that engine swap would make me nervous.

And then I'd put the bumpers back on the 62.
                    Jeff DeWitt
                    http://carolinastudes.net

Comment

Originally posted by 1962larksedan View Post
                      Maybe not. The 351 Windsor is essentially a high deck Ford 289/302 and actually weighs about 250 lbs less than a Stude V8. Too; the 289 Stude motor was a factory option for 1960. So I see no issues with the above swap assuming the frame and suspension are in good shape.
                      I have read and re-read this several times. I do not understand what you are getting at.

Since the car used to be a six banger-- what does a Stude V8 have to do with anything?
                      I ask because I believe that in 1960 the frame for a six was lighter then one for an eight.
                      And I know for fact that the brakes were smaller for the six.
                      Am I missing something, or...

StudeDave '57
                      StudeDave '57
                      US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
                      SDC Member since 1985

past President
                      Whatcom County Chapter SDC
                      San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
                      San Diego Chapter SDC
                      North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

Originally posted by StudeDave57 View Post
                        I have read and re-read this several times. I do not understand what you are getting at.

Since the car used to be a six banger-- what does a Stude V8 have to do with anything?
                        I ask because I believe that in 1960 the frame for a six was lighter then one for an eight.
                        And I know for fact that the brakes were smaller for the six.
                        Am I missing something, or...

StudeDave '57
                        My bad. I thought the 1960 was a V8 car originally. Although many of us here have swapped Eights into other 6 cylinder Studes with no apparent ill effects.
                        --------------------------------------

Sold my 1962; Studeless at the moment

Borrowed Bams50's sigline here:

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

Working...
                        X