Kent Moore Studebaker service tool

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kent Moore Studebaker service tool

Kent moore tools made a lot of speciality/service tools for Studebaker. They are still in business, but for whatever reason I couldn't find their actual website. I'd like to know if they still make a J-446 which is a Studebaker four lug hub puller. I don't need one now, I managed to pull the rear hub on my car with a cheater five lug puller... But would like to know more about the Studebaker one.
    Thanks
    Chris Dresbach

K-M is still in business for sure, but IIRC they ONLY sell wholesale/manufacturer. I went through all the "channels" several years back for many of their tools for Studes. They had zero in-stock, but they did send copies of their drawings.

Comment

Originally posted by Welcome View Post
      K-M is still in business for sure, but IIRC they ONLY sell wholesale/manufacturer. I went through all the "channels" several years back for many of their tools for Studes. They had zero in-stock, but they did send copies of their drawings.
      James, would you be willing to share the drawings? Would be great to be able make a duplicate K-M tool for a specific application if needed.
      Paul
      Winston-Salem, NC
      Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

Chris, couldn't you put a 4th leg on a standard puller?

Comment

Originally posted by r1lark View Post
          James, would you be willing to share the drawings? Would be great to be able make a duplicate K-M tool for a specific application if needed.
          I'm always willing to share ...or often give away!!! In fact ...IF ...I can round them up, you can have them!!!

Be aware those K-M drawings were for the 'odds & ends' tools I bought from Studebaker (SASCO) on the very last day they occupied the Plant #8 building. Basically, K-M was helping me I.D. what those 'odds & ends' tools were used for on Studes.

Comment

James, if you can find them, I can scan them (unless they are huge blueprint size) and put them online for others to use. Let me know!
            Paul
            Winston-Salem, NC

Comment

It's been a few years, but I've been able to order some general-purpose K-M tools by calling them and giving them a credit card number. I assume they will still do that.
              Skip Lackie

Comment

For those whom have never seen this puller thought I would post a couple pictures. Chris, I think you are better off with the "Knocker" style puller as you can put more pressure on the drums when they are rusted from age. This puller probably was great for drums that did not have years of rust on them. I do not think it would be that hard to make one like this if you really wanted one. I would be glad to give you the measurements if you want.

Click image for larger version

Name:	j-446 puller side.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	1671168Click image for larger version

Name:	J-446 puller top.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	1671169
                Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
                1961 Hawk 4-speed
                1967 Avanti
                1961 Lark 2 door
                1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

Comment

James, if you can find them, I can scan them (unless they are huge blueprint size) and put them online for others to use. Let me know!

Don't be expecting any treasure trove of drawings!!! Like I mentioned, K-M was simply trying to help me I.D. the 'odds & ends' tools Stude's SASCO couldn't sell any other way. IIRC most had to do with auto trannys, differentials, & carbs. At most, there were possibly 10-15 drawings. All the actual K-M tools I bought on that last day at Plant #8 were sold, traded or given away to a Stude Vendor some 15+ years ago.

Paul, if still interested, PM me with your complete mailing address and I'll just send what drawings I can find. You keep them & do whatever you think best ...OK???

Comment

Kent-Moore sent tool catalogs to all Studebaker dealers on a regular basis. The one above is from 1947, it has 36 pages They also sent single sheet updates. I believe I have all the catalogs and most all of the update sheets. Good pictures are shown of all the special tools, note the sample page below. I believe I could i.d. most any Studebaker Kent-Moore tool.

Richard Quinn
                    Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

Doesn't Chuck Collins make the hub pullers, and offer them for sale on his website?

Jim
                      "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
                      their Memorials!

Comment

Matt, that's what I ended up doing. A friend of mine has one that was for pulling Ford hubs and it worked. Another friend of mine loaned me the J-446 Studebaker puller, but the hub was so rusted the puller started bending. It was easy enought to straighten out, but I thought I'd look into if they are still made. If not, I was seriously thinking of having a few recast.
                        Chris Dresbach

Comment

Originally posted by Welcome View Post

Don't be expecting any treasure trove of drawings!!! Like I mentioned, K-M was simply trying to help me I.D. the 'odds & ends' tools Stude's SASCO couldn't sell any other way. IIRC most had to do with auto trannys, differentials, & carbs. At most, there were possibly 10-15 drawings. All the actual K-M tools I bought on that last day at Plant #8 were sold, traded or given away to a Stude Vendor some 15+ years ago.

Paul, if still interested, PM me with your complete mailing address and I'll just send what drawings I can find. You keep them & do whatever you think best ...OK???
                          PM sent...............
                          Paul
                          Winston-Salem, NC

Comment

PM sent...............
                            K-MStudebaker SASCO

Anyone care to take a guess???

Comment

Thanks Jim!
                              Paul
                              Winston-Salem, NC

Comment

Working...
                              X