Identify jacks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Other: Identify jacks

I have two jacks that I have no idea what studebaker models they are from. One is a tripod (red in color) It has a silver button cap where the crank handle pivits. The handle has a wooden cylinder. The three legs are round with the side cut out to creat a channel. The center one has the screw down the middle. The base is Black iron with the lazy S embossed (it pivots) The other two legs have small red feet that also pivot. There is a thick silver chain that conects all three. The hook on the screw is thick black iron and also has the Lazy S embossed in it.

the second jack seems older. It is red as well. It has no cap on top. The top of the crank has a round wooden ball with a flat top. The center leg is rounded with the screw don the midle. the hook on it is small black iron. The two outer legs are V shaped . The bottom feet are square and do not pivot they are welded on. the Lazy S in the center foot is a decal (red. white and blue) almost delapedated. The chain is similar to a swing chain that connects all three.

Can someone shed some light.

I have a 57 silver hawk. and have no jack. Is one of these right? doesn't fit in the spot in trunk.

I paid alot for these jacks grabbing them quickly so as not to loose the opportunity in case one would fit my car. If its not right I will sell them.

Jeff

The standard Studebaker bumper jack has:

1. A post with detents (notches) on it.

2. A Jack handle with a lug wrench end.

3. A sliding piece that moves up & down the post with a "hook" to fit the various years of Bumpers.

4. A square base with a hole to fit the shape of the post.
    The various Vendors that supplied these, often changed the post shape, I have tri-angular, square, "T" shape and "Y" shaped ones.

The tripod jack was a rare optional accessory jack, but would have to have a bumper attachment that fits the curvature of the Hawk bumper.

Neither of these is anything like the jack supplied with all of the Cars that secures into the trunk for quiet riding, they may be for anchient models and do not fit the bumper.

Nowdays no bumper jack can be used without ruining $200 to $300.00 worth of Chrome.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

A picture would help but, if they don't look something like these, I doubt they would be for a '57 Hawk.

Brad Johnson,
      SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
      '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Stude. Jacks

Brad, those are cool, mine do not have a hot wire and a ground wire going to them, that should be interesting when you plug em in! Lol!
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

My father had two 'bumper jacks' for his cars.
          One was a tri-pod style and one was an a'frame style.
          They both had a wooden knob on the crank handle.
          Here are some similar pic's...
          I think he bought them at Western Auto.....
          HTIH
          Jeff

Originally posted by cigarcar62 View Post
          I have two jacks that I have no idea what studebaker models they are from. One is a tripod (red in color) It has a silver button cap where the crank handle pivits. The handle has a wooden cylinder. The three legs are round with the side cut out to creat a channel. The center one has the screw down the middle. The base is Black iron with the lazy S embossed (it pivots) The other two legs have small red feet that also pivot. There is a thick silver chain that conects all three. The hook on the screw is thick black iron and also has the Lazy S embossed in it.

the second jack seems older. It is red as well. It has no cap on top. The top of the crank has a round wooden ball with a flat top. The center leg is rounded with the screw don the midle. the hook on it is small black iron. The two outer legs are V shaped . The bottom feet are square and do not pivot they are welded on. the Lazy S in the center foot is a decal (red. white and blue) almost delapedated. The chain is similar to a swing chain that connects all three.

Can someone shed some light.

I have a 57 silver hawk. and have no jack. Is one of these right? doesn't fit in the spot in trunk.

I paid alot for these jacks grabbing them quickly so as not to loose the opportunity in case one would fit my car. If its not right I will sell them.

Jeff
          HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Thanks Guys for the awsome info. You mentioned that you have several. Do you have any for sale? I have a NOS base and tire iron, but not the rest.

Also, The one tri pod I have must be Studebaker because the base and hook have the Lazy S moulded into it. It is in awsome condition!!! If anyone needs one of these I will sell or trade for what I need. Thanks so much. You guys are awsome!!!!

Comment

The three in the photo I posted were on Don Simmons' table at the Reedsville Swap Meet.
              Don advertises every month in Turning Wheels under Silvertone Exhaust Systems.
              Brad Johnson,
              SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
              Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
              '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
              '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

I would like to see a photo of an original Avanti jack and handle. Thanks...Mike
                Mike - Assistant Editor, Turning Wheels
                Fort Worth, TX

Comment

Studebaker actually offered some accessory bumper jacks. I have one in my 47 that is a fluid driven jack that fits in the little holes on the bumper. In my literature, I actually have a picture of it as an accessory item. Initially I thought it was an aftermarket item but was pleasantly surprised when I got the literature and saw it as an accessory. I do not know that they offered the tri pods as accessory items, but my experience says it may be possible.
                  Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
                  1961 Hawk 4-speed
                  1967 Avanti
                  1961 Lark 2 door
                  1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

Comment

I will post some pictures of the two jacks I have. Maybe someone can tell me what year and what application they fit. I am in the hunt for a 57 jack for my silver hawk as well. I have the base and tire iron, just need the rest. I really dont plan to use it, just need it to complete the car for shows.

Comment

Originally posted by cigarcar62 View Post
                      >>>I really dont plan to use it, just need it to complete the car for shows.
                      Probably a very good idea!!! Here is what Studebaker Engineers required of the Jacks that were installed in their mid-50’s cars, and I quote:

"Jack to raise and lower 1200 lb. load 25 times without failing with lifting column in vertical position. Must withstand 1800 lbs. vertical load at full height minimum of 15 minutes"

With my luck, it would take me 16 minutes to change the tire only to find out the Jack’s 25 lives had been used up!
                      Last edited by Welcome; 11-28-2011, 02:56 PM.

Comment

I bought an old style jack with "Studebaker" written down the side????
                        Just an ebay thing I had to have for my garage.
                        Brian
                        Brian Woods
                        woodysrods@shaw.ca
                        1946 M Series (Shop Truck)

Comment

Here are the two jacks I have they are on Ebay right now.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Any one interested in buying these Jacks? Look on Ebay or contact me and I will sell off Ebay. $100 for Lazy S jack, $75 for other stude jack. Plus whatever shipping is.

Comment

Working...
                            X