Finally started on my Studebaker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally started on my Studebaker

I bought this car over a year ago and couldn't get away from other projects untill I finally got serious and sold off another project and started on the car. I haven't gotten too far but I did get the body removed an will be sending the frame out for sandblasting this week. Not sure what kinds of rebuilds are prefered around here so I'll leave out some of the details until I know better

Congratulations. You have already done the hardest part of the job! (You actually started!) From the pictures...I think I can safely assume that this is not your first attempt at a car project. From your, "not sure of what kind of rebuilds are preferred here," comment...I suspect you are going to go custom.

It don't matter. All you need is a hide as tough as a Gator. Shouldn't be difficult for a Florida resident. You should find plenty of encouraging support around here. Part of the Studebaker personality is the thorns among the roses. The prickly ones to spur you on can sometimes be just as important as the roses that cheer you on. Good luck with the project and keep us updated. Plenty of pictures help so that we can share the progress while watching you spend your money!
    John Clary
    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Originally posted by raidmagic View Post
      Not sure what kinds of rebuilds are prefered around here so I'll leave out some of the details until I know better
      Thanks for sharing the start of the build. You'll find we are a pretty eclectic bunch and anything you propose will be greeted with many more supporters than detractors.

A lot of us really enjoy the builds that the members post and you will find there is a wealth of knowledge here but it's difficult to get if you don't post and ask.

In any case, It's almost impossible IMO to post to many pictures of a build. And of course, by your comments, I don't expect a 400 point restoration so "bring it on", Please!!

Bob

Comment

As stated above, thanks for sharing! While I generally go stock, money constraints; I did modify my 81 Chrysler Imperial to keep it a daily driver. It is your car, your money, your time; do what makes you happy!
        The important thing is to have some fun!!!!
        1957 Studebaker Champion 2 door. Staten Island, New York.

"Education is not the learning of facts, but the training of the mind to think." -Albert Einstein

Comment

Thanks for the warm replies guys. No this isn't my first build but it's my first one with all new suspension fully boxing the frame and so forth. I have a T-bucket and a Corvette that was featured in Vette Mag. If there is any interest in those I'll post about them. I haven't as this is a Studebaker site.
          This car will get an LS1 from a wrecked WS6 with an overdrive trans. Not a racecar just a good smooth cruiser to haul the family in. I won't go crazy on exterior mods I really like the look of the car but I might change some of the front end. The interior will be customized for comfort. I don't have a real plan for the interior yet but some good ideas.

Comment

You have both kinds here, folks who think it should be all stock, and folks who love the mods and hot rod stuff. For the most part the "must be stock" folks will not be overly harsh or beat you up. They will say "its your car, your money, do what you want".

On the other hand, you will get PLENTY of LOVE from most here. I for one love the custom stuff as an addition to the beautiful OE cars. I thinks the customs open up a totally new demographic to the world of Studes. A younger group of people into Studes will inevitably keep the brand lively and realavant into the future.

Rock on and keep us posted with lots of pics.

Comment

BTW, to add, there is a "stove huggers" forum that would love any build threads of your other cars.

Comment

Looking forward to following your build. I have an LS1 from a TransAm with 4L60E in my 53. There is a link to my build log in my signature if you are interested. Mine has been on the road for over 5 years now and I am very satisfied with the result. It's a great cruiser with plenty of pop, and gets good gas mileage to boot.

Pat
                Pat Dilling
                Olivehurst, CA
                Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

Pat that is just stunning!!!! I just spent some time reading through your build. If mine comes out half that nice I'll be happy.

Comment

Originally posted by kmac530 View Post
                    . I thinks the customs open up a totally new demographic to the world of Studes. A younger group of people into Studes will inevitably keep the brand lively and realavant into the future.

Rock on and keep us posted with lots of pics.
                    It's funny you say that. I have a really cool Studebaker t shirt it's grey with a huge red Studebaker logo on it and I either find other Stude people when wearing it or I get "You're not old enough to remember Studebakers" those people always get a kick out of it when I tell them I own one

Comment

That is funny, I have the same shirt but in White. All white with a BIG red DOT with the Lazy S and Studebaker written thru it on the back with a small version on the front breast area. I get the same comment alot. You are too young to know about StudeRbakers....I get the raised eybrow when I say "sure I am...I own a '49 Stude 2R10 C-cab pick up with a Stude V8 in that I am building myself" then I get...oh wow.

Comment

It looks like you've got a pre-war Champion, one of my favorite cars. 41Frank on the forum has a very nice one with a Studebaker V-8 and there are others.

"In the heart of Arkansas."
                        Searcy, Arkansas
                        1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                        1952 2R pickup

Comment

What do you do to wire up a Studebaker with a newer drive train? I've got a Buick V6 & turbo 350 than I should put to good use but wiring is not my strong suit.

Jeff T.
                          \"I\'m getting nowhere as fast as I can\"
                          The Replacements.

Comment

raidmagic, Thanks for the compliment. If I can provide any info on the LS1 conversion let me know. A lot has changed since I did mine and there is a lot more stuff in the aftermarket now that makes swaps easier.

Jeff, The simplest solution, and likely the cheapest in the long run is to buy a harness and fuse box set up from a vendor like Ron Francis, EZ Wiring or Painless. All the wires come labeled every few inches and they have done the bulk of the engineering for you. All you have to do is find a place to anchor the fuse block, route the wires and terminate the ends with appropriate hardware. It can be tedious, but not rocket science and they all have tech support if you find yourself scratching your head.

Pat
                            Pat Dilling
                            Olivehurst, CA
                            Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

raidmagic, share what ya have, where it is, and where you are going with it, we'd love to see it!

I built mine so many years ago that the options available today were not yet reality.

It has been on the road for over 12 years now. If something breaks, I'll update the driveline... until then, I'll just drive the silly thing! <G>

(See sig line for what was done, way back when.)
                              sigpic
                              Dave Lester

Comment

Working...
                              X