PDA

View Full Version : Yet Another Packard Hawk Listing on Craigslist

hausdok
11-23-2011, 12:35 AM
Hi All,

It's very, very rough. The guy's ad says that he's owned it more than 30 years and he has enough spare parts to fill a pickup truck.

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/cto/2693860219.html

Mike O'Handley
Kenmore, Washington
hausdok@msn.com

BobPalma
11-23-2011, 06:01 AM
One would hope his "30-year parts acummulation" includes a supercharger, eh, Mike? <GGG> BP

hausdok
11-23-2011, 03:19 PM
Yeah,

I've got one I'll trade him. The former owner of my P.H. ran his dry for so long that one day it came apart and bounced up through the fiberglass shroud. I don't know how the danged thing didn't trash the radiator. He can have mine and use those huge bearing balls for miniature lawn bowling. ;-)

Mike O'Handley
Kenmore, Washington
hausdok@msn.com

hausdok
11-23-2011, 03:24 PM
By the way,

Maybe you guys have already found it, maybe not; but I stumbled on this site last night. It's got a few interesting Stude's that they say are restorable.

http://www.desertclassics.com/studebaker2.html

Mike O'Handley
Kenmore, Washington
hausdok@msn.com

scott.rodgers
11-23-2011, 03:35 PM
This is the Packard Hawk I've been able to see for years from my Metrolink commuter train. It's located behind a small company near Bob Hope/Burbank Airport.

Gunslinger
11-23-2011, 03:45 PM
About five years ago at Spring Carlisle I saw a Packard Hawk that appeared in worse shape than that car...the seller wanted $16k for it. I imagine he took the car home with him unless he: 1) seriously adjusted his price; or 2) found a fool.

mbstude
11-23-2011, 04:19 PM
Speaking of rough Packard Hawks.. I'll be going to get mine (surprise!) in a couple of weeks or so. The deal is done, it's just a matter of getting it. It's been vandalized and it's definitely a parts car, but hey, it's still a Packard Hawk with a lot of good stuff on it. I'll post more whenever I actually get the thing.

Jerry Forrester
11-23-2011, 05:50 PM
Speaking of rough Packard Hawks.. I'll be going to get mine (surprise!) in a couple of weeks or so. The deal is done, it's just a matter of getting it. It's been vandalized and it's definitely a parts car, but hey, it's still a Packard Hawk with a lot of good stuff on it. I'll post more whenever I actually get the thing.
Matt, for three days now I have been riding all over that Georgia town where your PH is supposed to be. I cant find it. Could you give me a clue as to where I should be looking. Just narrow it down for me, NE,SE,SW, or NW. ;-)

mbstude
11-23-2011, 06:27 PM
Matt, for three days now I have been riding all over that Georgia town where your PH is supposed to be. I cant find it. Could you give me a clue as to where I should be looking. Just narrow it down for me, NE,SE,SW, or NW. ;-)

I'd be more than happy to tell you, but I just don't see you as a Packard Hawk kinda guy. <grin>

hausdok
11-23-2011, 06:35 PM
Congratulations Matt on saving another one.

We need to start a club; P.H. Rescue or something like that, hunt all those derilect PH's down and bogart them before restorodders, restomodders, ratrodders or too much rust get to them. ;-)

Mike O'Handley
Kenmore, Washington
hausdok@msn.com

Jerry Forrester
11-23-2011, 07:41 PM
I'd be more than happy to tell you, but I just don't see you as a Packard Hawk kinda guy. <grin>

Throw away all the ugly parts and you have a good start to a '53-4-5.

Jerry Forrester
11-23-2011, 07:43 PM

We need to start a club; P.H. Rescue or something like that, hunt all those derilect PH's down and bogart them before restorodders, restomodders, ratrodders or too much rust get to them. ;-)

Mike O'Handley
Kenmore, Washington
hausdok@msn.com

Don't get your hopes up Mike. I doubt that this one is gonna be saved.

mbstude
11-23-2011, 08:51 PM

Mike O'Handley
Kenmore, Washington
hausdok@msn.com

More than likely it'll be stripped out (lots is missing and rusted out already), but I won't make that decision until I see it in person. As it is, it's too good of a deal to pass up and worst case scenario, I'll have parts available to get other PH's on the road versus the car ending up being scrapped.

If it does turn out to be better than I expect, then I'll definitely offer it up for sale as a whole for someone to restore. I doubt that restoring the car would be within my capabilities. It's a rough one. Which is too bad since the PH is my favorite C/K car.

cruiser
11-24-2011, 07:07 AM
So , we've got another '58 Packard Hawk turning up , albeit a bit rough around the edges .
I've got to be honest with you , maybe I am the supreme optimist , but believe it or not ,
I think the current owners 'deal' is not bad at all . When you consider that the car was a
'driver' up to five years ago , and that there is substantial long term spare parts that have
been accumulated , it all sounds good . I'm not buying it , but if this type of car is to be
'your' project , you could do a lot worse . Let's face it , a full restoration on this type of
car can be worth it because a restored one commands a fair chunk of dough . They only
built 588 of them so they appeal on rarity . I don't think we need to talk about styling .
These cars do not even pretend to follow the clean lines of a 53/54 C/K . But when you
really compare a Packard Hawk to the other luxury barges that were on the market in
1958 , suddenly they start to look real good , if you happen to like the Buck Rogers
school of automobile design . So someone go and see this car , make sure it is not a
Fred Flintstone mobile , check the hoarded up spare parts ( NOS helps ) , making
sure that all the 'rare' bits are intact . Don't be a dreamer , make something happen !

CRUISER

scott.rodgers
11-24-2011, 10:00 AM
The price on this Packard Hawk may be high, but the car looks rust-free...

Jim B PEI
11-24-2011, 10:25 AM
I thought, fairly rust free except for the holes on the right front below the headlight. But wait, that's fiberglass, isn't it! :D:D:D

Andy R.
11-24-2011, 11:38 AM
So , we've got another '58 Packard Hawk turning up , albeit a bit rough around the edges .
I've got to be honest with you , maybe I am the supreme optimist , but believe it or not ,
I think the current owners 'deal' is not bad at all . When you consider that the car was a
'driver' up to five years ago , and that there is substantial long term spare parts that have
been accumulated , it all sounds good . I'm not buying it , but if this type of car is to be
'your' project , you could do a lot worse . Let's face it , a full restoration on this type of
car can be worth it because a restored one commands a fair chunk of dough . They only
built 588 of them so they appeal on rarity . I don't think we need to talk about styling .
These cars do not even pretend to follow the clean lines of a 53/54 C/K . But when you
really compare a Packard Hawk to the other luxury barges that were on the market in
1958 , suddenly they start to look real good , if you happen to like the Buck Rogers
school of automobile design . So someone go and see this car , make sure it is not a
Fred Flintstone mobile , check the hoarded up spare parts ( NOS helps ) , making
sure that all the 'rare' bits are intact . Don't be a dreamer , make something happen !

CRUISER

Cruiser makes an great point - in the context of 1958 the Packard Hawk is a real stunner.
IMO, was a transitional year in auto styling, and hence, most polarizing year of that decade for just about any American marque. Compared to the overblown "ugh" factors of the Big Three, the Independents were exceptional.

cruiser
11-27-2011, 09:46 PM
I don't know what has happened ,sale wise , with the subject '58 Packard Hawk
on Craigs List , but , wouldn't you know it , right now there is another one that
this time has turned up on Ebay America . This one could be described as a
restoration 'project' and is in Idaho . Its missing a few bits , including all of the
dashboard , but looks like it could be brought back . Interesting what has been
happening to its fins as a result of the mylar . Current owners of these cars
might want to remember to check this area of their cars for any sign of rust .
Should be interesting to see if it sells and what it might go for .

CRUISER

hausdok
11-27-2011, 10:26 PM
Hi,

Yeah, that one was sold last March/April timeframe for about $3600. I thought I'd posted about it here two weeks ago when it showed up on Craigslist for $2800. The owner says he won't part it out and says his price is FIRM, FIRM, FIRM. I dunno, it looks like there's a decent chassis, glass, trim and some other doner parts but the body could be a nightmare. Based on what's visible and what I now know will be hidden, if I were buying it I'd also be looking for a doner car with a solid tub down around Arizona way.

You're absolutely right. Take those fins off and you'll discover that the underside of the fins is not primed, painted or sealed away from the weather - neither is the top of the back fenders under the fins - so there's a ton of rust under there. Mine has a long narrow hole rotted through the tub that needs to be welded up. Restore one of these without removing the fins and dealing with the underside and you'll see your work ruined later on when that rust eventually finds it's way to the surface.

I know where there are four more of these in need of restoration; but those bodies are probably worse than this one.

Mike O'Handley
Kenmore, Washington
hausdok@msn.com

Bob Andrews
11-28-2011, 05:16 AM
Here's the one now on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1958-Studebaker-Packard-Hawk-/270861557736?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item3f109b5fe8

larryyano
11-28-2011, 01:15 PM
Saw this at Reedsville.
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f368/larryyano/1958%20Packard%20Hawk%20Restoration/8cc18eee.jpg

willard
11-30-2011, 09:28 AM
I have a 58 packard hawk this is a very nice car I need to sell this car. It is 8 out of 10 on a scale of10 352 542 9205

64V-K7
11-30-2011, 10:48 AM
The contact # on the sign is a Lewisburg phone number. Was that Max Corkins in the red jacket or is there yet another PH in the area?

hausdok
11-30-2011, 10:59 AM
The man's name is Ed Smeltz

Mike O'Handley
Kenmore, Washington
hausdok@msn.com

'58 Packard Hawk

Roscomacaw
11-30-2011, 11:08 AM
Regarding these rare birds, I think the more pertinent question might be: How many DIDN'T survive into the second decade of the new millenium???

I haven't skulked around in Fresno in years. I wonder if that sectioned example it still sitting atop the storage container at that auto service center. Anne?

larryyano
12-01-2011, 10:38 AM
This one was on EBAY a while back. Front fender stainless looks to be the same as the door
stainless.

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f368/larryyano/6e4844ee.jpg