Avanti 1001 Update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paint: Avanti 1001 Update

The disassembly is now complete, body and rolling chasis will be on the way to Spokane to be soda blasted this week. Yesterday, we removed front and rear windows, swapped out rearend [so the old one can be repaired, cleaned and painted ]. Mike Gahlbeck is doing the rearend and other mechanical systems repairs. After the soda blasting[ boy it will be nice to see that awful paint gone] the car is going to Ron Hochhalter's body shop in Sunnyside , Wa. for repairs and paint. That's all for now. Lou Cote

Pictures, we need pictures.
    Mike - Assistant Editor, Turning Wheels
    Fort Worth, TX

Comment

Photos, especially after the body is stripped of paint. It will be interesting to see if evidence of hand repairs remain. The first bodies from Ashtabula were supposedly not very accurate as to windshield and rear window openings.

jack vines
      PackardV8

Comment

Originally posted by Silverplate View Post
        Pictures, we need pictures.
        No problem-
        click this link~

http://www.lemaymuseum.org/page.php?id=419

now click 'Avanti 1001 progress'.
        Then click the months on the left.

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
        Photos, especially after the body is stripped of paint. It will be interesting to see if evidence of hand repairs remain. The first bodies from Ashtabula were supposedly not very accurate as to windshield and rear window openings. jack vines
        If I'm not mistaken- evidence has already been found. I'll let James, Dad and/or Mike explain.
        Hopefully the body is headed East this week to be stripped, repaired and painted.

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...tion!&p=594877
        StudeDave '57
        US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
        SDC Member since 1985

past President
        Whatcom County Chapter SDC
        San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
        San Diego Chapter SDC
        North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

Sorry, I did not see this update, I just added to the other thread.

The Avanti is now just a shell, I have many items at my place, James has the rest. There are many small items that need to be restored. I will have pics as work progresses. There are many items, LARGE and SMALL that anyone can donate and it will be a huge help. We'll be working on lists of assemblies and sub assemblies that will need attention. There will also be a few needed 'services' Many parts and materials.

Many thanks to James and Stephanie Bell, Brian Curtis, Lou Cote, Doc G, My brother Dave, and Dad. (blue team)

I cant wait to see Rons team get going, we'll be seeing pictures of body, painting, suspension , engine, and trans getting rebuilt before your eyes.
          Last edited by (S); 11-21-2011, 01:33 PM.

Comment

Thing timed me out!! I did find that body lip that window rubber fits into seemed to me to be short. I also found repaired areas under dash where wiper pivots go thru, left had fiberglass patch, right had formed sheet metal patch with several thru bolts in it. Lou Cote

Comment

Lou; next time just click the "remember me" clickbox and you stay logged in forever, until you log out, no more problems!
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

We also found in the back window area between the package shelf and the quarter panel, wood blocks about an inch square. Where they there to help allign those two pieces? It would have been fun to be a "fly on the wall" when this car was being assembled. Lou Cote

Comment

Sorry Rich ,but that doesn't work with my set up if I take too long trying to describe clearly what I want to say it will time me out. then I have to start over again GRRRRR!! Lou Cote

Comment

Working...
                  X