Completely random fuel tank failure mode

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel System: Completely random fuel tank failure mode

There was this funny noise from the rear end of my Daytona when I was turning - looked under the car and imagine my surprise - the passenger side leaf spring (heavy duty Cop Car springs) had lost it's clamps and the lower leaves had rotated. The back end of the rotated part was rubbing against the gas tank and had torn part of the center seam. Thought how lucky I was that the tank didn't leak.

Robbed some clamps from an old spring and all seemed fine - stopped on the way home and filled the tank. Drove the 2 blocks and parked in the driveway, then noticed the river of gas running under the car and down the driveway. Grabbed a fire extinguisher just in case, put a bucket under the leak and siphoned 10 gallons of gas.

Sanded the area, cleaned it with alcohol, mixed up some JB Weld and covered the area. Let it sit 2 hours, put more on. Let sit overnight. Fill tank this morning. Oh joy - no leak.

Some times I think I'm the only one this stuff happens to.

If you are saying what I think you're saying. you need to check the u-bolts. Even if the spring clamps were missing, the short leaves should not be able to turn if the center is held fast by the u-bolts.
    "In the heart of Arkansas."
    Searcy, Arkansas
    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
    1952 2R pickup

Comment

Salvaged a 1978 spring break trip to FLA that way.
      Our driver ran over a piece of chrome trim that managed to spear the leading lower edge of the gas tank on his early 70's Valiant.
      JB in the hole, and a nicely fitted patch JB'ed over that, nd we were good to go.
      Lost about 3 hours total time, and repair still holding when he left town 3 years later.

Comment

Originally posted by 52-fan View Post
        If you are saying what I think you're saying. you need to check the u-bolts. Even if the spring clamps were missing, the short leaves should not be able to turn if the center is held fast by the u-bolts.
        Backed the u-bolt nuts way off to make it easier to rotate the short leaves back in place - everything tightened up nicely now. I'm just damn glad I caught it before the hole got bigger and the rubbing caused a spark - could have ruined my whole day.

Comment

Working...
        X