remove doors and rear fenders?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paint: remove doors and rear fenders?

I'm almost finished stripping the interior and will pull the remaining glass tomorrow on my 53 Coupe. I've pretty much convinced myself to pull the front fenders so I can clean all the underhood area of surface rust (mainly caused by the fine mist of battery acid over the years) and to give myself easy access to pull the engine.

There are multiple (at least 2, if not 3) layers of paint on the car, the last of which was applied very poorly. So the plan is to strip the car and have it media blasted (I'm thinking soda, with walnut shells or plastic to hit any rusted areas found under all that paint--not expecting much.)

Since I'll have the front fenders off, all the chrome and stainless, the engine, trans, under hood wiring and the dash pulled, should I go ahead and pull the rear fenders and the doors? Or will I struggle with alignment and so should leave them as is?
    Last edited by dnevin; 11-19-2011, 07:41 PM. Reason: correct a typo
    Dave Nevin
    Corvallis, OR
    1953 Champion Deluxe Coupe
    Stud-e-venture blog

Make sure that everything fits (as best as possible) then mark the door hinges on the doors, (scribe all 3 sides) My "opinion" yes remove the doors, the rear fenders, maybe remove them and make sure that the bolt hole areas are NOT rusty, clean and have fresh etch primer, primer and paint on the surfaces. Then install the rear fenders and be sure to use a 2 part seam sealer between the rear fender and the body. prep & prime as needed. Your paint job will come out MUCH better if you remove the bolted on parts!
    BUT, if you are spraying a metallic paint, then I would still pull them off, edge in the jams and inner areas, then bolt on the parts.
    I painted my 52 Commander apart, as well as my 62 Daytona convertible and my Avanti.

Jim
    "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
    their Memorials!

Comment

Any part or panel removed from the body will need re-aligned. Even without removing, worn door hinges will need re-alignment. It's no big issue.
      The issue arises when a body off frame restoration results in everything coming together out of kilter.
      Patience perseveres.
      Brad Johnson,
      SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
      '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Thanks. I wanted to remove them, but had this sneaking feeling that if I did and didn't ask first that I'd hear the classic, "You did what?"

Off to the garage in a few to start stripping it down.
        Dave Nevin
        Corvallis, OR
        Stud-e-venture blog

Comment

I agree with removing rear fenders and front clip. However, as to the doors, only if the hinges are worn to a fault. The big question is what will you gain from the effort? If the doors only require a small adjustments, little cleaning of surface rust in the "reach-in" openings between the exterior and interior panels, I would leave them in place. In fact, I have left doors in place on the vehicle while re-skinning the lower portion of the panels.

With the doors on...It is much easier to check overall fit as you work. Of course, it helps to elevate the body to a comfortable working height. Keeping the doors on and closed while moving, working on, and attending to other areas of the body while off the frame, will enable you to detect flexing and warping of the body by paying attention to the gaps as you work. Believe me, the things will flex and move around while off the frame.

If your hinges are serviceable and not toast...keep the doors on.
          John Clary
          Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

John, it'll be left on the frame. Everything underneath is clean and solid, so I saw no reason to pull the body off the frame. With that in mind, would you still leave the doors in place? The hinges work just fine.
            Dave Nevin
            Corvallis, OR
            Stud-e-venture blog

Comment

Just an opinion from a back yard tinkerer...it gets back to the condition of the hinges, how the doors fit now...and what you stand to gain by removing them. Otherwise...follow your instincts and comfort level.

I am far from an expert. The experience I have is due to the fact that I am too danged cheap to pay anyone else to do the work for me!
              John Clary
              Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Thanks John. I'll go swing the doors back and forth and ponder a bit.
                Dave Nevin
                Corvallis, OR
                Stud-e-venture blog

Comment

Which ever way you go, IF you are doing any fitting of body panels, or welding, support the car from the wheels! if you support it any other way, when you put it's feet on the ground, the lines CAN & WILL move!!
                  In other words, put your jack stands under the rear axle, and also under the front suspension.

Jim
                  "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
                  their Memorials!

Comment

Thanks Jim. I really appreciate it.
                    Dave Nevin
                    Corvallis, OR
                    Stud-e-venture blog

Comment

Working...
                    X