1987 Avanti Convertible top

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Other: 1987 Avanti Convertible top

I had this post over on the AOAI forrum for over a month, lots of lookers, but no replies. Let see if I can do better over here.

I need a new top for my 1987 Avanti Convertible. I looked around on the internet and found this website.

Now I was always under the impression that the 1987 convertible had a different top than both the 1988 and 1989 so
    I am concern that I might end up with the wrong top. Has anyone every purchase a 1987 top from this vendor or other vendor.
    Last edited by billmdonn; 11-19-2011, 06:35 PM. Reason: bad link

My notes say the 87 top was custom made until Kelly figured out how to move the gas tank under the chassis. That might mean that not all 87's were custom and a Le Baron top might fit. Your link didn't go exactly to the product you found, but it might be your only avenue
    64 GT Hawk (K7)
    1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

Sorry, I corrected the link. The serial number of my Avanti ends in 071. From looking at the Avanti Registry it would seem it is right in the middle of the run. Furthermore my gas tank is between the trunk and the rear seat, not under the chassis. This would seem to indicate that I need to go the custom route.

Comment

It sounds like you need to find an upholstery shop that installs convertible tops. A good shop should be able to help you. If someone at an upholstery says he's not sure...you don't want them.

A good upholsterer can take off your top and use it for a pattern.
        Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Working...
        X