64 daytona wagonaire speedo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speedo / Tach / Gauges: 64 daytona wagonaire speedo

does anybody know where to find a replacement speedo for the wagonaire OR how to tell me what other models fit the wagonaire? just got the car and am just learning it. thanks for your help

speedo

Are you asking about the meter/gauge or the cable. I've got two gauges one from a 64 Cruiser and a 63 Challenger two door(I think).And already traded the cables off of them. I assume they are the same but we all know what happens when you assume. If you're interested let me know.

Comment

Is it missing or not working? If it is not working, is the head busted or just the cable missing/disconnected/broken?

Both heads and cables turn up on Ebay NOS fairly often, none currently; some vendors 'might' have one, but don't bet on it. All the 1963 through 1966 speedos for Lark-type models look the same, but have a different face design/colour by year. Each year fits all the Lark-type models--the only difference would be the speedo cable length for certain powertrains like a 4 speed? I have had NOS 63, 64 and 66 speedos, including metric (very hard to find metric). The most common ones seem to be the 63 and 64 in miles. Usually much less than $100 for NOS, just lubricate it and go. Used might be okay, and there are lots of them.

IF you only need the face plate or the cable core, Studebaker International has some of the parts for a 64. Give them a call; they might have it even if it is not on their website.

The speedo cable/core seems to be 1544770 in parts book section 1716-20 for all 63-64 V8 exc Y1 and K, and all 63-64 sixes with standard or overdrive, but since it is a P8 like my 63, it would be a V8, right? I somehow don't think they made 6 cyl Daytona Wagonaires in 63 or 64
      The speedometer itself would be 1561125 in parts book section 1716-1 for miles (and 1561126 for metric) for Lark-types..... (for 63 the equivalents are 1558253 and 54) Any higher numbers would be for 65 and 66
      There are separate numbers for faces only, but likely that is not what you want.

Comment

Originally posted by studeluvr View Post
        Are you asking about the meter/gauge or the cable. I've got two gauges one from a 64 Cruiser and a 63 Challenger two door(I think).And already traded the cables off of them. I assume they are the same but we all know what happens when you assume. If you're interested let me know.
        All spedo from 64-66 will fit and work the 63 has a different face.
        Candbstudebakers
        Castro Valley,
        California

Comment

Actually, all years 63-66 will work but all years 63-66 are different from each other. The 63 to 64 differences are most noticeable, and not too many people have seen the 65 and 66 right beside a 64. 64-66 differences are quite subtle. You might not notice the difference until you have the speedo in hand. I have had 63, 64 and 66 NOS side by side--they are all different, colours, 'gunsight' design in red or not, etc. Didn't have a NOS 65, but from some site somewhere I found one time by accident there is a side-by-side comparison
          Last edited by Jim B PEI; 11-19-2011, 08:55 AM.

Comment

...and you'll never match your existing gage clusters or clock unless the replacement faces have been on the same regional cars with the same exposure to sun and elements. 2 64' speedos: 1 from Seattle the other from Arizona.......2 totally different colors...

Comment

All too true! With age, they look quite different. For the 63 Wagonaire, I'm replacing all with NOS. What could be done, I suppose, if you have a speedo head that is malfunctioning, is replace the head with another one, but change over the 'face' so it matches. Have never done that, but I guess it is easy enough or Studebaker wouldn't have sold the dial faces alone.

Comment

I am sorry John and Cathy that some people made it sound complicated.

The truth is any '64 to '66 Silver Green faced "Lark Type" Speedometer will work and match just fine, all models are the same and have the same part number 1561125.

That includes '64 Challenger, '64-'66 Commander, Daytona, Cruiser and Wagonaire -all body types.
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
                X