1952 232 offer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1952 232 offer

I am not sure if Studebaker had the "numbers matching" thing down that some of the other manufacturers had. When you watch these auctions you often hear "this is a numbers matching chevrolet corvette....."

Well to the offer, If there is a way to figure out which 1952 Commander was the donor car for my trucks original v8 conversion, I would love to see this 232 get back to its original chassis.

The engine number is V168211

Is there a way to track the engine to the original vehichle serial number?
    Maybe from a build sheet?

If there is no connection at all between the engine numbers and a cars serial numbers, then I would like to see this 232 back in a 1952 Commander somewhere. I want this to end up in some SDC club members car.

The engine number would appear on the build sheet, which can be located by the vehicle Serial Number (VIN). I don't think there is a reverse reference that would identify the vehicle referenced by the engine number. Could be wrong. If anyone has it, it would be the Studebaker National Museum. They have all the build sheets.
    Brad Johnson,
    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

The Car's Serial Number could be found if you had about 6 months to review all of the Production Orders for '52 Studes. looking for Commanders, and then the Engine Number. At the hourly research rate it would also be expensive.

Then the search would begin for the Car and it's owner, no way to actually do that.

So yes, there is a connection and it IS POSSIBLE, just will not happen though.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Well then, who needs a decent shape 1952 232?
        Free to good SDC member home.
        It is complete, intake to exhaust manifolds. I may need to snag a few pieces of hardware and maybe the water pump housing, but if someone wants it I would be happy to see it go to someone here.

I had thought about keeping it for a next project, maybe a nice early Lark for my baby girl, but I decided that I will worry about power for the next car if and when the next project comes along. I would rather pass along the generosity I keep getting here.

Comment

Is the 232 that despised that no one wants one for free?

Comment

Sorry

Originally posted by kmac530 View Post
            In some circles, yes. I'd go for it- but we've already got like three 232s kicking around, and when one factors in all of the 259s and 289s here as well-- we may have an excess of blocks as it is...? Not to mention shipping. Although I suppose it might be easier to ship then the StudeBus. I can't even get quotes to ship that thing!!!
            Last edited by StudeDave57; 11-19-2011, 05:06 PM. Reason: %#$@& typo!!!!
            StudeDave '57
            US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
            SDC Member since 1985

past President
            Whatcom County Chapter SDC
            San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
            San Diego Chapter SDC
            North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

The 232 casting was new in 1951; produced through 1953. The same casting was used for the 224, 259, 289 through 1963, requiring only additional machining; even punched to 305. It is not despised; simply more common in a later version.
              I'm certain the time will come when we will be disappointed we let so many of these become detritus.
              Brad Johnson,
              SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
              Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
              '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
              '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Originally posted by kmac530 View Post

I would love to have it but God put a whole country between us. Steve
                sigpic

Comment

I offered the one out of my '53 for give away. Only taker wanted me to crate and ship for free also. I still have it.

Bob
                  Own \'53 Commander Starliner. Red w/beige top. 350 Chev/700R4. Tilt,cruise,A/C.http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j30/Bobphyl/StudeontheBeach.jpg

Comment

That is what I what was thinking, it may not be worth shipping. Well it will be here if someone comes up with a project that need a good starter motor. It will need a teardown and at least a thorough inspection. The top end and oil pan are very sludge filled. There was a sludge in the oil pan that covered the oil pump pick up screen. It was about the consistancy of non lumpy pancake batter. I dont think it is anything harmful, just needs a disassembly and cleaning.
                    I am really glad I ended up with the 289 rather than just starting the 232 in the truck and running that gunk thru the motor possibly damaging it.

Anyway it is here should anyone decide they want it and it is worth shipping or if they are local and want to come by for a beer and a motor...let me know.
                    Good part about the sludge, it has REALLY protected all of the bare metal parts, they are clean and shinny and no rust in the crank or cam or rockers.... Good starting point for a freshen up and I dont even think it should need a rebuild, just a cleaning and new gaskets and seal...

Comment

Kelly, have you tried to see if it has a notion to run? You're up against the same thinking you had when asking what you might do to "wake up" that 232. With it's rather restricted breathing, and the cost of any cures for that, it's a rather advantageous leap to a later - significantly more breathable - version that bolts right up with that 232 was. And it's not like you can't find 259s and
                      289s to do this with. Matter of fact, there's more rebuild stuff for the later V8s too.
                      Anyone that's looking to do a 51 thru 54 car that HAD a 232 might well wanna keep the original block, but it's not a BIG deal like it is with Corvette snobs or T-bird tsk - tks'ers. The truth is, for normal driving, it's a great and dependable powerplant. But the attraction of more cubes with better breathing is like a back porch bulb to a moth in the Studebaker world!
                      No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

It sure was a lure to me...and the deal was worth every penny.

That is what I was thinking, if there was a Corvette type out there who wanted a year correct engine, even though slower and underpowered, I would offer it.

It is here if someone wants it.

Maybe I should call the guy who just bought my boat and see if he wants a third anchor to permanently set at his river house....lol.

Comment

AND...... there's equal to probably LESS enthusiasm for the many flathead 170s that so many "upgraders" have removed from Champions. From what I've seen, the going price for them starts out at $500 "and hey! it even ran when removed!" Of course, after it's taken up valuable garage floor space for a year, the gleam seems to fade a bit.
                          No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Originally posted by Roscomacaw View Post
                            AND...... there's equal to probably LESS enthusiasm for the many flathead 170s that so many "upgraders" have removed from Champions. From what I've seen, the going price for them starts out at $500 "and hey! it even ran when removed!" Of course, after it's taken up valuable garage floor space for a year, the gleam seems to fade a bit.
                            I'm thinking about converting mine into the powerplant for a generator.

(Honestly, I'm going to throw it in a corner of the garage and leave it there for when I'm done and driving the Stude. Then I'm going to rebuild it because I like the little thing.)
                            Dave Nevin
                            Corvallis, OR
                            1953 Champion Deluxe Coupe
                            Stud-e-venture blog

Comment

Boy. Dave, there were (still are) alot of old flatheads of all sorts here in central CA, and they're STILL earnin' their keep as water pump motors and wind machines. OK, not A LOT of them anymore - but you can still see them by just taking a casual drive out thru the countryside here. Matter of fact, there's a Mopar flattie of some sort just a half mile from my house - it still pumps groundwater for irrigation on occassion.
                              I'm still sorry I didn't jump on a deal I found at a local swap meet a few years ago. Guy had one out of a '39 Champion that was completely new and on a display stand. It had gone from neato to in the way. Couple hundred bucks would've owned it, IIRC. 12 years ago I totally rebuilt a Nash 252 simply because I could - AND happened to have all the overhaul parts for free. Still, with machine shop charges and various other "investments", I figured I had about $600 or so in it. Heh - I could not get even that $600 back out of it! I got lucky and traded it for a solid '57 Silver Hawk.

Comment

Working...
                              X