Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Was there any break-in sticker on Studes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Was there any break-in sticker on Studes?

Hi folks,

My 63 GT Six will be back on the road soon. Well, I still have a tappet noise to fix but I assume it won't take too long.
    As my engine has been completely overhauled, I need now to do the break-in. I'm wondering if there was any specific Studebaker sticker for that purpose. You know, that's the kind of sticker on the rear glass that says to the other drivers "I'm slow but I have a good reason for that and that won't last!". This kind of sticker was particularly used in France on 2CV and 4CV as these should not exceed very low speeds (40-60 km/h) at the beginning. I don't know if it was a common practice in the US too, as your cars were notably faster.

Nice week-end to all.
    sigpic

Originally posted by christophe View Post
    Hi folks,

My 63 GT Six will be back on the road soon. Well, I still have a tappet noise to fix but I assume it won't take too long.
    As my engine has been completely overhauled, I need now to do the break-in. I'm wondering if there was any specific Studebaker sticker for that purpose. You know, that's the kind of sticker on the rear glass that says to the other drivers "I'm slow but I have a good reason for that and that won't last!". This kind of sticker was particularly used in France on 2CV and 4CV as these should not exceed very low speeds (40-60 km/h) at the beginning. I don't know if it was a common practice in the US too, as your cars were notably faster.

Nice week-end to all.
    Never seen any vehicles with "Break-in Stickers" in the USA, but then again hanging a "Break-in" sign
    on your vehicle here can result in very different interpretations!!! I do know of a State here that required "TEST VEHICLE" signs be placed on the front and rear of our vehicles whenever we took them out and conducted "testing" on public roads.

In France, if they require a "L" sticker for "Learning" (new) drivers on the rear of their vehicles, possibly you could temporary attach an "Lbreaking-in

Comment

Never have seen a "sticker" as such in the back window, but my '50 Champion has break-in instructions on a cardboard placard on the inside of the glove box door. Don't remember it precisely, but it is something like "drive slow for a couple of days, change the oil, drive slow a little longer, change the oil.......".

The only sign I see often in the back windows is "Baby on Board", making me wonder why these women want everyone else to know they have a baby with them while they are driving so recklessly.

Comment

Thanks for your replies guys.

Nevertheless, I think I will do one of my own. Some people are unfortunately getting angry when the car in front of them goes 10 km/h slower than authorised.
        I may also use one of these:http://www.lebowskifest.com/entity/t...-stickers.aspx

Originally posted by Welcome View Post

In France, if they require a "L" sticker for "Learning" (new) drivers on the rear of their vehicles, possibly you could temporary attach an "Lbreaking-in
        In France, an "A" sticker is required for young drivers. It is supposed to mean "Apprentice" but it often means "As---le" (fill the blanks as required, I'd like to stay politically correct!), so I will avoid it.

Originally posted by BobGlasscock View Post
        The only sign I see often in the back windows is "Baby on Board", making me wonder why these women want everyone else to know they have a baby with them while they are driving so recklessly.
        I think they're just speaking of themselves, Bob.

Holy smoke! I've just made a post with a link and two quotes!
        sigpic

Comment

It is in the first few pages of your Owner's Guide, I don't have one in front of me, but it was something like keeping your speed under 60mph (96km) for the first few thousand miles, and changing the oil "for sure" at 1000 miles (1600km).

Craig

Comment

I'd be very hesitant about posting a "Break-In" sign or sticker on my window......If you do, I wouldn't leave any valuables in the car!! There's gona' be some idiot that will literally do what the sign says. Just a little humor this AM.

Dan Miller
            Auburn, GA

Comment

Originally posted by ROADRACELARK View Post
              I'd be very hesitant about posting a "Break-In" sign or sticker on my window......If you do, I wouldn't leave any valuables in the car!! There's gona' be some idiot that will literally do what the sign says. Just a little humor this AM.

Dan Miller
              Auburn, GA
              You're right, Dan! That said, as I'm considering an "En rodage" sticker, I'd say the risks are negligible.
              sigpic

Comment

Our new 1963 brand X Dodge Polara came with a suggestion, via the salesman, not to drive more than 50 mph for the 1st 500 miles..... allowing everything to be broken in gently, with an oil change at 1,000 miles.

Comment

Out of my 100 plus cars, I have only purchased seven new. I always took a day off work when the car was new and drove around at varying speeds. I did the first oil change according to manufacturer's recommendations. Some cars came with a special additive in the oil for break-in and it doesn't make sense to dump that out too soon.
                  Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                  Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Craig (8E45E) said it. It also says not to run a a certain speed for a prolonged period.

Comment

Working...
                    X