Final Arrangements: Administration Bldg Tours

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Final Arrangements: Administration Bldg Tours

Final arrangements have been firmed up for guided tours of the former Studebaker Administration Building next week during the SDC International Meet June 17-23. The following information was authorized by Andy Beckman at The Studebaker National Museum and Todd Zeiger of Historic Landmarks Foundation of Indiana.

Here's the information you need if you want to tour this building during the meet.

Tours will be held Tuesday Evening, June 19, between 6PM and 8PM. Depending on the ticket you have (you'll know in advance), your group's tour could begin at 6PM or 8PM or any one of serveral pre-determined times in between. There will be four tour guides: Andy, Todd, Dick Quinn, and Yours Truly. No matter who you "get," you'll see the same things within the building.

[u]Advance-sale tickets will be required </u>and [u]will only be available to purchase in person </u>at The Meet Registration desk once you arrive in South Bend. There will be only 160 tickets sold (first-come, first served). They are $20 per person. The proceeds do not go to the tour guides (rats[)]); they will be divided between The Studebaker National Museum and Historic Landmarks Foundation of Indiana.

To sign up for a tour ticket and time, go to the Meet Registration Desk at The Studebaker National Museum as soon as you get to town. Tell them you want to take the tour. They will sign you up, accept your money, and give you a reserved-place ticket with the time on it for when your tour begins. (As you can see, there will be no need to bunch up at 6PM at The Adm Bldg Tuesday evening; only folks having a 6PM ticket need appear at that time.)

Tickets will be available as long as they last. Because there are four tour guides, times will be staggered and there will be more than one tour group inside the building at once, although they won't all be in the same place within the building.

I'll post this on The South Bend Forum and for The Google Stude Group gang, too. [8D] BP

We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

BOB: I am as gong-ho a Studebaker person as there is. I am a member of SDC (life), AOAI, Keystone Region Chapter, the Studebaker Museum and the Studebaker Family Asso. (altho not a relative). Our family owns various Studebaker vehicles and have a very nice memorabilia collection, some of which will be displayed at the Singer building this year. We have attended ALL the meets in South Bend since 1968, and, many national meets in between. In short, we support and attend all things Studebaker.

That said, I believe the $20 dollar charge to tour the Admin Bldg is outright 'gouging'. Five or ten dollars would have been sufficient. When you are retired and living on a somewhat limited budget you must watch your dollars (the pennies take care of themselves). ALSO, museum members (and those that bought week passes for the meet) should have been given a 'free pass', or, a greatly reduced 'fee'.

Our family (4 of us) were really looking forward to touring the building 'again' for additional, and perhaps, last picture taking. We will better spend our EIGHTY DOLLARS and boycot the building tour.

SHAME ON THE STUDEBAKER NATIONAL MUSEUM!

toyman

Comment

BOB: I am as gong-ho a Studebaker person as there is. I am a member of SDC (life), AOAI, Keystone Region Chapter, the Studebaker Museum and the Studebaker Family Asso. (altho not a relative). Our family owns various Studebaker vehicles and have a very nice memorabilia collection, some of which will be displayed at the Singer building this year. We have attended ALL the meets in South Bend since 1968, and, many national meets in between. In short, we support and attend all things Studebaker.

That said, I believe the $20 dollar charge to tour the Admin Bldg is outright 'gouging'. Five or ten dollars would have been sufficient. When you are retired and living on a somewhat limited budget you must watch your dollars (the pennies take care of themselves). ALSO, museum members (and those that bought week passes for the meet) should have been given a 'free pass', or, a greatly reduced 'fee'.

Our family (4 of us) were really looking forward to touring the building 'again' for additional, and perhaps, last picture taking. We will better spend our EIGHTY DOLLARS and boycot the building tour.

SHAME ON THE STUDEBAKER NATIONAL MUSEUM!

toyman

Comment

I will gladly pay the $20.00. I just hope I can get there in time to get a ticket. $20.00 these days is only equivalent to about 6 gallons of gas.

Leonard Shepherd

Comment

I will gladly pay the $20.00. I just hope I can get there in time to get a ticket. $20.00 these days is only equivalent to about 6 gallons of gas.

Leonard Shepherd

Comment

Toyman: I assure you I had no input on the tour pricing and none of us will benefit from it financially. [:0]

That said, I hope you can appreciate the amount of time (read: money) that Historic Landmarks Foundation of Indiana has had to invest to find someone to preserve this building and make it financially viable for its second century. My wife and I are also members of Historic Landmarks Foundation of Indiana and have been following this project's progress in that organization's monthly magazine, Indiana Preservationist.

Todd Zeiger has been working a full year to find new owners and, then, with them to assure the building's survival and use without being destroyed historically, or demolished altogether.

This is probably the best long-term forecast for an existing Studebaker building we've had for several years. I hope you can eat a couple more meals off Wendy's Value Menu and join one of the tours! BP
            We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Toyman: I assure you I had no input on the tour pricing and none of us will benefit from it financially. [:0]

That said, I hope you can appreciate the amount of time (read: money) that Historic Landmarks Foundation of Indiana has had to invest to find someone to preserve this building and make it financially viable for its second century. My wife and I are also members of Historic Landmarks Foundation of Indiana and have been following this project's progress in that organization's monthly magazine, Indiana Preservationist.

Todd Zeiger has been working a full year to find new owners and, then, with them to assure the building's survival and use without being destroyed historically, or demolished altogether.

This is probably the best long-term forecast for an existing Studebaker building we've had for several years. I hope you can eat a couple more meals off Wendy's Value Menu and join one of the tours! BP

Comment

Speaking for myself only, I would be glad to pay $20 (cost of a movie and popcorn) to tour the building. Once in a lifetime event! Since I can't make it to South Bend this year I will offer to donate $20 to any one person on the forum who would be willing to go on the tour and post a ton of photos on the internet for the rest of us to enjoy. I have seen the (1961 remodeled) lobby of the building, but went no further when I visited South Bend once many years ago. I would love to see every little detail of the Administration Building if someone will be willing to take digital photos and post them on some web photo-hosting site for all of us to enjoy.

If anyone is interested, please let me know.

John Waddell
                Studedude1961
                --1963 Cruiser

Comment

Speaking for myself only, I would be glad to pay $20 (cost of a movie and popcorn) to tour the building. Once in a lifetime event! Since I can't make it to South Bend this year I will offer to donate $20 to any one person on the forum who would be willing to go on the tour and post a ton of photos on the internet for the rest of us to enjoy. I have seen the (1961 remodeled) lobby of the building, but went no further when I visited South Bend once many years ago. I would love to see every little detail of the Administration Building if someone will be willing to take digital photos and post them on some web photo-hosting site for all of us to enjoy.

If anyone is interested, please let me know.

John Waddell
                  Studedude1961
                  --1963 Cruiser

Comment

Not to soapbox too much, but I'm with Toyman.

Comment

Not to soapbox too much, but I'm with Toyman.

Comment

quote:Since I can't make it to South Bend this year I will offer to donate $20 to any one person on the forum who would be willing to go on the tour and post a ton of photos on the internet for the rest of us to enjoy.
                        If I am able to get a ticket, I will be glad to take as many pictures as I can ( my camera has a 1 GIG and a 512 KB cards!) and post them on the internet. No charge!

Leonard Shepherd

Comment

quote:Since I can't make it to South Bend this year I will offer to donate $20 to any one person on the forum who would be willing to go on the tour and post a ton of photos on the internet for the rest of us to enjoy.
                          If I am able to get a ticket, I will be glad to take as many pictures as I can ( my camera has a 1 GIG and a 512 KB cards!) and post them on the internet. No charge!

Leonard Shepherd

Comment

Thank you Leonard, as I can't make the trip to SB this year I would be more than happy to host any of Leonards photo's but I'm sure he will be posting them on his own website. I will look forward to the photos!

Randy_G
                            1959 Lark Sedan
                            This website is for sale! automotivehistoryonline.com is your first and best source for information about automotivehistoryonline. Here you will also find topics relating to issues of general interest. We hope you find what you are looking for!

Comment

Thank you Leonard, as I can't make the trip to SB this year I would be more than happy to host any of Leonards photo's but I'm sure he will be posting them on his own website. I will look forward to the photos!

Randy_G
                              1959 Lark Sedan
                              This website is for sale! automotivehistoryonline.com is your first and best source for information about automotivehistoryonline. Here you will also find topics relating to issues of general interest. We hope you find what you are looking for!

Comment

Working...
                              X