Champ questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Champ questions

The early Champ has pedals through the floor the later one has hanging pedals. What other changes did Studebaker make in these cabs?
    Thanx

With swing pedals in 63/64 T Cabs came firewall mounted fruit jar master cyclinder. Steering box from Ross To Saginaw,I think, and steering configuaration was changed. Leaf spring schackles were moved from front of the spring to the back. Increased size of the brakes. I'm sure others may know ones I may have forgotten. Been 13 years since I owned a 64.
    Kim

Comment

Brake size never changed, all 1/2 Tons have the same 11 inch Drums all the way around.

What did change in '63 is that the brakes got a major uprade to Bendix type starwheel adjusters and self energizing Wagner brakes, with 8 of the same shoes as V-8 Front Stude. Cars. These were much better brakes.

Unfortunately though, the steering gears were changed to a much worse, very short lived unit, even worse than the Ross.

There were very few minor changes to the Cab between 1960 and 1964. The dash pads were changed several times, the door panels, seat trim, Parking Light Housings and side Mouldings. The 1960's were the only ones that had the silver piping and actual stitched, pleated black dash pad the same as the top of the line Regal Larks, on the Deluxe Cabs.

The Deluxe Cabs also came with the sliding rear window, dual arm rests, dual Sun Visors, Dome Light, Body Side Mouldings on front fenders, Chrome Headlight Rims, Parking Light Housings and Grille, Stainless Steel Hub Caps, Mirrors and Gas Cap.

All came with no rear bumper, it was a rarely ordered option, and no spare tire. A wheel was included, the tire was extra on most, if not all make Trucks of the era.
      Last edited by StudeRich; 11-18-2011, 08:27 PM.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Bumped this post for new Forum member Lynn Fletcher to notice, this could be needed info for a future purchase, or a newly acquired Truck.

Glad to have you with us Lynn, can you tell us more about this truck?
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

It should be mentioned that when the 8E ('63 - '64) steering box was in good shape, it drove much better than the earlier Champs. It was just too much of a "light duty' steering box for the application.

Comment

I'm shopping for a Champ truck. What I find will determine whitch way I go with the project.I don't care for the "space saver", but perfer hanging pedals. Have looked at 3 trucks so far. Haven't found one that I could drive yet. Sat it one, the cab space is better then my previous 2R. Gave that one to my daughter and grandsons to drive. Sold my 56 one ton now I'm a Stude short. I usually modify my rides but a good original should survie. And it might be fun to try a Stude motor. I'll see what turns up.
            Thanx

Comment

Working...
            X