The ever elusive M Series fenders.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The ever elusive M Series fenders.

Just bought my first Studebaker. Had to go to Denver to find just what I wanted and was able to drive it back home to Southern Indiana. (yes it has a transplant - 5.0 Ford)
    Unfortunately, as soon as I got it into the Ohio valley the body immediately began turning from beautiful green patina to heavy rust. As much as I hate to, I am forced to paint over some of it's original '47 Fern Leaf Green to salvage the afflicted areas.

Before I can paint, I need to replace at least 2 fenders, one on each side. It appears that the rear fenders were primarily used as anvils in its former life. I am finding it extremely difficult to find replacement fenders and refuse to resort to fiberglass or 1/2" of bondo. Mine could probably be repaired but it would probably be easier to melt them down and reforge them.

I have attempted to locate some in area salvage yards, eBay, and Craigslist but to no avail. There are a few other pieces of sheet metal I'm after as well but the fenders are by far my holy grail.

Does anyone out there have any resources to locate these fenders? I'm sure that as hard they are to find, someone out there is hoarding a couple up in their garage attic that they would really want to .

I will gladly drive a couple hundred miles if the quality is good and the price is reasonable.

I live in southeast Indiana (Louisville area) and am the proud owner of a 1947 M-15A with a 1988 Ford F150 4WD heart and leg transplant.
    Last edited by Koboar; 11-28-2011, 08:58 AM.

Can't help you with the parts. Is this your new truck?

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0155.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	95.9 KB
ID:	1671079Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0154.jpg
Size:	99.7 KB
ID:	1671080Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0156.jpg
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	1671081
    Carey
    Packard Hawk

Comment

That she be. Somewhat sad that you have better pictures of my truck than I do...

Comment

There is nothing wrong with body filler when used properly. I would bet at any given day at a Studebaker meet you would find over 75% of the cars have body filler in them one way or another.
        Tom
        sigpic

Comment

You should have stopped over at Verne Edigers in Kansas on the way back from Colorado...
          HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Koboar
            I have PM'd you with a phone # of a Forum member who has just what you are looking for.
            Good Roads
            Brian
            Brian Woods
            woodysrods@shaw.ca
            1946 M Series (Shop Truck)

Comment

Originally posted by woodysrods View Post
              Koboar
              I have PM'd you with a phone # of a Forum member who has just what you are looking for.
              Good Roads
              Brian
              Will do. Thank you very much for the lead.
              The problem I am coming up against is that shipping ends up being about $100-$125ish per fender (USPS/UPS/FedEx) so for 2 I'm already in the hole $200-$250ish before I even pay for the fenders themselves.
              In the long run I would much rather go pick a set up somewhere if I can find a sound few nearby. Ideally I could replace all 4 fenders at once if I could find a solid set and there are a few other pieces of sheet metal that I'm trying to find as well an I'm just assuming that whoever I find with fenders will have other jewels to dig through. I'll try local first and if that falls through I'll try shipping a few in.

Love your 46 M by the way. Looks like it rolled off the line looking like that. That's the look I'm going for. The whole, "What would this truck look like and drive like if it was manufactured this year and was made to actually work for a living" look.

Comment

Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK View Post
                You should have stopped over at Verne Edigers in Kansas on the way back from Colorado...
                I'm actually a Kansas transplant and am heading back there next weekend for the holidays. I talked to Vern last night and he said he was almost completely out of anything M Series. Great connect though.
                Thanks

Comment

Try Ben Ordas in Fort Wayne. He has everything M Series. If you need his number PM me.

Comment

The large wheel openings in front suggest that you may have (and need) fenders from the larger m15/m16 trucks. These may actually be easier to find, as well as not requiring you to cut the M5 ones with smaller openings.
                    Gary Ash
                    Dartmouth, Mass.

'32 Indy car replica (in progress)
                    ’41 Commander Land Cruiser
                    '48 M5
                    '65 Wagonaire Commander
                    '63 Wagonaire Standard
                    web site at http://www.studegarage.com

Comment

Here they are... just laying on the floor in Reedsville....
                      Buy them and put the word out and you might get them closer to you...

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Jeff, can you post more pictures of the parts at Reedsville? Maybe I can shop virtually (I sent you a PM also). Jeff
                        Last edited by studefan; 11-18-2011, 05:10 PM.

Comment

Never mind Jeff. I see that Brad posted a bunch of pictures. Can you check on those 63-64 lark convertible belt mouldings that are on a table with the yellow rim/wheel? Finders fee for anyone if I buy them

Thanks, Jeff
                          jeffanne2@verizon.net

Comment

Originally posted by studefan View Post
                            Never mind Jeff. I see that Brad posted a bunch of pictures. Can you check on those 63-64 lark convertible belt mouldings that are on a table with the yellow rim/wheel? Finders fee for anyone if I buy them

Thanks, Jeff
                            jeffanne2@verizon.net
                            They are on Tony Patane's table. Get ready for a cash-ectomy :-) Jim S.
                            I was STUDEBAKER, when STUDEBAKER wasn't "KOOL".

Comment

Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK View Post
                              Here they are... just laying on the floor in Reedsville....
                              Buy them and put the word out and you might get them closer to you...

Gee I think we hauled these fenders up to R-ville, and brought them back home tonight. They are still available, do need some work though. Had to make it a one dayer, have to work tomorrow, no sub available, and, THE MAIL MUST GO THROUGH :-).
                              Sold some, bought very little. Good to see old friends again. A little disappointed with the turnout. Have to wonder how many more years this event can make it?
                              Jim S.
                              I was STUDEBAKER, when STUDEBAKER wasn't "KOOL".

Comment

Working...
                              X