PDA

View Full Version : Air dams on Avantis



Laemmle
06-13-2007, 07:43 PM
Page 63 of the current issue of Avanti contains an article by Carl Doughty concerning attaching a Saturn air dam to the bottom of the radiator on an Avanti.
Today I purchased the part in question plus four special springs that are utilized on Saturn autos.
Has anyone actually attached one of these on an Avanti? How exactly is it done?...The springs are about four inches in length...which would allow the dam to hang under the radiator instead of being flush to the radiators lip.

Suggestions?

jlmccuan
06-13-2007, 08:11 PM
This might help.

http://www.studebaker-info.org/tech/Avcool/airdam.html

Laemmle
06-15-2007, 04:21 PM
Not exactly what I need, anyone else have experience with this?

64V-K7
06-15-2007, 05:03 PM
I don't know what you are referring to when you mention springs. The airdam on my web page gets fastened to the lower radiator core support, using standard hardware, that you have to supply.



Bob Johnstone
http://www.studebaker-info.org/7168422/sig2.jpg

sbca96
06-15-2007, 05:23 PM
http://www.aoai.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=441&hl=air+dam

Tom

'63 Avanti, zinc plated drilled & slotted 03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, soon: 97 Z28 T-56 6-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves, 'R3' 276 cam, Edelbrock AFB Carb, GM HEI distributor, 8.8mm plug wires

Laemmle
06-15-2007, 09:53 PM
Thanks Tom!

I purchased the smaller version, and I will install asap....



quote:Originally posted by sbca96

http://www.aoai.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=441&hl=air+dam

Tom

'63 Avanti, zinc plated drilled & slotted 03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, soon: 97 Z28 T-56 6-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves, 'R3' 276 cam, Edelbrock AFB Carb, GM HEI distributor, 8.8mm plug wires

Karl
06-15-2007, 09:54 PM
I did one for the Twin. Was full with of the car about 3 1/2" to 4" wide. followed the conture of the front valance.

63 Twin Supercharged Avanti
64 Avanti R3w/NOS
88LSC Avanti 350 Supercharged w/NOS

Laemmle
06-15-2007, 09:55 PM
The dealer gave me four springs p/n 21030793 Rad-Spring.



quote:Originally posted by 55Prez


I don't know what you are referring to when you mention springs. The airdam on my web page gets fastened to the lower radiator core support, using standard hardware, that you have to supply.



Bob Johnstone
http://www.studebaker-info.org/7168422/sig2.jpg

Lenny R2
06-15-2007, 10:55 PM
I installed the saturn air dam on my 64 Avanti.You mount it
under the radiator support.I put a piece of one inch aluminum
flat stock on each end to keep the end from bending.The springs
you are talking about are for a newer saturn.I had a 97 saturn
wagon that had the air dam with springs.They are for those
curbs in the parking lot to make the air dam fold up.

Lenny

Laemmle
06-16-2007, 09:44 PM
Is the flat steel a must?

What nuts and bolts did you utilize?....too bad I could not use something like a toggle bolt...as the valley of the rad support is not exactly easy to get a nut into and later hold with a wrench while tightening the bolt.

Lenny R2
06-17-2007, 10:22 PM
I removed the grill on my Avanti to install the air dam.
I used 1/4x1 stainless bolts&nuts bolts facing down nuts under
neath.I boltet the flat stock on each end so it wouldnt flex.
not sure it was neccesary.

Lenny

Laemmle
06-18-2007, 06:36 AM
Are you saying I have to remove the wire mesh filler that covers the air scoop? I thought the dam gets bolted directly to the bottom of the radiator frame? My car is a '64. It would seem you bolted the dam to the actual fiberglass scoop opening...



[quote]Originally posted by Lenny R2

I removed the grill on my Avanti to install the air dam.
I used 1/4x1 stainless bolts&nuts bolts facing down nuts under
neath.I boltet the flat stock on each end so it wouldnt flex.
not sure it was neccesary.

Lenny
[/
quote]

64V-K7
06-18-2007, 08:14 AM
I can't remember if you have to remove the grille, it may make it easier to install the bolts.Have you looked at this?

http://www.studebaker-info.org/tech/Avcool/AIRDAM3.JPG

Bob Johnstone
http://www.studebaker-info.org/7168422/sig2.jpg

Laemmle
06-18-2007, 09:42 AM
Yes I have.....but I see no need for the additional metal piece. Also I do not know if I am to bolt the dam to the actual bottom of the radiator support, or to the fiberglass valance that surrounds the air scoop......which in turn is covered by the wire grill on my '64?



quote:Originally posted by 55Prez

I can't remember if you have to remove the grille, it may make it easier to install the bolts.Have you looked at this?

http://www.studebaker-info.org/tech/Avcool/AIRDAM3.JPG

Bob Johnstone
http://www.studebaker-info.org/7168422/sig2.jpg

64V-K7
06-18-2007, 12:51 PM
The function of the airdam is to create a low pressure area behind the radiator, to induce more airflow, while moving. The bottom edge of the core support is the best location to enable this. That's what the instruction sheet spells out. It says nothing about the bottom of the fibreglass valence..

The airdam is wider than the core support. The reason for the stiffener, is to extend the rigid base of the core support, so the airdam doesn't flap in the breeze. If you bought Saturn part #21031161 and don't want to add the brace, then you'll have to cut down the end wings, which will diminish the function...

Bob Johnstone
http://www.studebaker-info.org/7168422/sig2.jpg

Laemmle
06-18-2007, 04:55 PM
Bob, I purchased p/n 21030181..so I guess I do not need to add the brace, correct?

bige
06-18-2007, 11:14 PM
Wow! This is the longest thread on a 20 minute job I've ever seen! I don't even know what kind of car my air dam is from. I found in a parking lot after someone tore it off the front of their car. I cut it down on the ends because I don't care for the look of the long thing underneath and besides I don't want to limit air to the front brakes. I put it up, held it back a little so I could mark it where the 3 existing holes are in my rad support, drilled 3 holes, stuck the bolts through the top of the support ( which is accessible with fingers and wrench ) and bolted it up. The angle of my air dam was such that I mounted it backwards so It had a little angle toward the front. I would say it was worth 10 degrees on the highway. My car doesn't overheat but it will show a rise to about 210, on occassion, at highway speeds but now it rarely moves higher than 195 even when it's 95 outside.

If you want a picture I can take one.

ErnieR

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r241/AvantiR2/track.jpg

sbca96
06-19-2007, 01:20 AM
Something must be wrong with my Avanti since it NEVER overheats, well
it did once, but thats because the leaky core plug had dumped too much
of the water in the cooling system and it was a gallon or two low! It
will run around 160 degrees even with water leaking down the side of
the block.[B)] Damn freakish Avanti!![:0]

Tom


quote:Originally posted by bige
My car doesn't overheat but it will show a rise to about 210, on occassion, at highway speeds but now it rarely moves higher than 195 even when it's 95 outside.

bige
06-19-2007, 07:36 AM
You're fortunate, however, running at 160 could be hurting your performance, too low for optimim combustion. IMHO.

ErnieR


quote:Originally posted by sbca96

Something must be wrong with my Avanti since it NEVER overheats, well
it did once, but thats because the leaky core plug had dumped too much
of the water in the cooling system and it was a gallon or two low! It
will run around 160 degrees even with water leaking down the side of
the block.[B)] Damn freakish Avanti!![:0]

Tom


quote:Originally posted by bige
My car doesn't overheat but it will show a rise to about 210, on occassion, at highway speeds but now it rarely moves higher than 195 even when it's 95 outside.


http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r241/AvantiR2/track.jpg

Laemmle
06-19-2007, 11:07 AM
Earnie,

Pictures would be appreciated!!

Thanks!!



quote:Originally posted by bige

Wow! This is the longest thread on a 20 minute job I've ever seen! I don't even know what kind of car my air dam is from. I found in a parking lot after someone tore it off the front of their car. I cut it down on the ends because I don't care for the look of the long thing underneath and besides I don't want to limit air to the front brakes. I put it up, held it back a little so I could mark it where the 3 existing holes are in my rad support, drilled 3 holes, stuck the bolts through the top of the support ( which is accessible with fingers and wrench ) and bolted it up. The angle of my air dam was such that I mounted it backwards so It had a little angle toward the front. I would say it was worth 10 degrees on the highway. My car doesn't overheat but it will show a rise to about 210, on occassion, at highway speeds but now it rarely moves higher than 195 even when it's 95 outside.

If you want a picture I can take one.

ErnieR

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r241/AvantiR2/track.jpg

bige
06-19-2007, 11:16 AM
Happy to send a picture, won't be until late tonight or tomorrow, though.

ErnieR

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r241/AvantiR2/track.jpg

Laemmle
06-19-2007, 04:21 PM
Many thanks!

bige
06-20-2007, 09:31 AM
I recall now I used some self tapping style screws that fit the existing holes nicely, one on each end. But you can get a wrench in there if needed for a nut and bolt. Personnally, I couldn't see the benefit of a full width air dam because a dam the width of the radiator would cover all the open area of the engine compartment. Plus, I wanted it to be as invisble as possibe, just my taste.

It was an "end of the day in the garage" afterthought when I installed it and I didn't make any effort to make it pretty. I knew I was going on a little highway cruise and wanted to see if it made a difference. It did. Maybe one day I'll clean it(G).

As far as making sure they are bolted up securely...most of the factory dams are held on by plastic push clips.


http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r241/AvantiR2/avnatiglamour026.jpg

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r241/AvantiR2/avnatiglamour.jpg

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r241/AvantiR2/track.jpg

64V-K7
06-20-2007, 12:57 PM
Here's my install

http://www.studebaker-info.org/0381/SPOILR3.JPG

Bob Johnstone
http://www.studebaker-info.org/7168422/sig2.jpg

bige
06-20-2007, 01:08 PM
I can see the Saturn dam is narrower than the one I found in the parking lot. Mine must have been from a full size rear drive GM. It extended well into the wheel area, looked silly. Saturn setup is clean.

ErnieR

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r241/AvantiR2/track.jpg

Laemmle
06-20-2007, 05:07 PM
Wow,

Just waiting for the ss hardware to arrive...anxious to finally install one of these on my '64!

Guys, a big thanks for your help!

Laemmle
06-23-2007, 02:55 PM
Bob,
Just curious......what are the bolts in the center of the radiator support for?



quote:Originally posted by 55Prez




Here's my install

http://www.studebaker-info.org/0381/SPOILR3.JPG

Bob Johnstone
http://www.studebaker-info.org/7168422/sig2.jpg

jlmccuan
06-23-2007, 04:23 PM
Karl,
Could you show your air dam and detail what parts you used? I would like to see it. (Always looking for a good idea to "steal")

Jim
http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x98/jlmccuan/Avanti/AvantiSignature.jpg
1966 Avanti II RQA 0088

Laemmle
06-24-2007, 08:52 AM
One final question while I wait for the ss hardware to arrive.....

Will I have to drill additional holes in the lower radiator support? I do not remember how many holes are actually on the bottom of the support and I do not want to forget to bring a drill with me should one be needed.....the car is garaged away from my home.

Thanks again!

sbca96
06-24-2007, 10:00 PM
AH HA!! This explains all the kinda odd questions!! Bring the drill
and bits, and some extra stuff you think you dont need. As my dad
used to say, "It don't weigh much!";)

Tom


quote:Originally posted by Laemmle
the car is garaged away from my home.