Oscar the grouch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oscar the grouch

Well I think I have figured out a name for my truck. Everytime I work on it something seems to go wrong. It has been 2 steps forward and 1 step back everyday....forward, just not enough.

So I roll it out into the front yard today for the first time. I need to tow it down to a certified weigh station to get it weighed, so i got it on its wheels and rolling and rolled it out into the street.

I have been wanting to name it, was not sure at first if it was a "her" or a "him", but he is kind of a big brute so I decided a week or so ago its a "him"...now who is "HE"? Things like BUD and Brutus have crossed my mind, never felt exactly right. Hmmm.

Then I roll him out into the street and my little 5 yr old neighbor girl says "I like your truck, it looks like Oscar the Grouch on Seasame Street".

Oscar is a grizzled old grouchy trash monster that is forest green and has rusty brown eybrows....sound familiar?

Tumblr. Pure effervescent enrichment. Old internet energy. Home of the Reblogs. All the art you never knew you needed. All the fandoms you could wish for. Enough memes to knock out a moderately-sized mammal. Add to it or simply scroll through and soak it up.

I think my grumpy, old, trashy, forest green, with rusty roof truck has an Identity now...Oscar it is.

Unless someone has a good reason not to name him that, it feels good to me.

With an endorsement like that...How could you NOT name him OSCAR?!
    John Clary
    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Now I can never paint him though...not that I was gonna, but.

Comment

I bought a red LWB 58 from Stephen Cade awhile back. They had used it for hauling off trash untill 10 or 12 years ago, then parked it under an oak tree . In that time someone had wrighten "Sanford &Son" on the drivers door with pin stripe tape. I took that off and had "North Trail Ranch" painted on the doors.

I didn't want to call it Sanford, but in respect to it's heritage, I named it "FRED" My 7 yr old Grandaughter liks to call it "Ole Red Fred"
        Neil Thornton

Comment

So you can put a picture of oscar on there wheres the truck ?

Dean.

Comment

I stink at loading pics and I am really bad at taking pics. I dont do it enough and now it is dark. I will try take some tomorrow and post them.

Comment

Originally posted by rockinhawk View Post
              I bought a red LWB 58 from Stephen Cade awhile back. They had used it for hauling off trash untill 10 or 12 years ago, then parked it under an oak tree . In that time someone had wrighten "Sanford &Son" on the drivers door with pin stripe tape. I took that off and had "North Trail Ranch" painted on the doors.

I didn't want to call it Sanford, but in respect to it's heritage, I named it "FRED" My 7 yr old Grandaughter liks to call it "Ole Red Fred"
              Those are the coolest names. When a name just finds the car, then it feels right. I had been racking {or is wrack} my brain to find a name that fit, Oscar just found my truck..

Comment

The 2 Hawks in my avatar and signature are "Sweet Magnolia" and "The Shadow" Not hard to tell which is which.
                Neil Thornton

Comment

I love the name Oscar for a truck!

"Oscar the Grouch," even makes it better!!
                  sigpic
                  Dave Lester

Comment

Your young neighbor has impeccable taste!
                    Dave Nevin
                    Corvallis, OR
                    1953 Champion Deluxe Coupe
                    Stud-e-venture blog

Comment

My house is the neighborhood " bike fix It shop ".
                      Since my daughter was 5 when we moved in here to this house, alot of kids would hang around playing. We live near the end of the culdesac on a dead end street so it is a perfect playground. Once kids found out I work on stuff and have an air compressor....that was it. My house is a kid hang out, even though my kid is in college and only home to sleep it seems like now days, the kids still always wanna come hang on and see what I am working on. I have to be careful when I am welding that one does not walk up in my garage while my torch is struck.

Good thing I like kids. I wanted more than one, just never happened, so now I get to be the neighborhood fix buddy. The little guys LOVE it when I put their bicycle up on my motorcycle lift and air it up and the bike lifts up 3' in the air to work on it....they love it. I always make them help, I want them to learn a bit while we fix it.

Comment

Great name! When my truck finally got some color (after being totalled), he went from Rusty McTrusty to Pete. Pete was my grandad's name.
                        No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Oscar got weighed today so I can finish registering him. I did not want to roll him on and off of the front wheel dolly, to much of a headache, so the guy let me just leave the front wheels on the dolly, which is fine since that is only 200# or so and I do not have a bed on it yet so I figured that would close to a wash.

3200# dead even. Not bad. I guessed between 3100-3300...could not have been closer. He rolled perfect on the rear wheels with not a single rattle or scrapping sound,squel or howl. One step at a time right?

Comment

Originally posted by dean pearson View Post
                            So you can put a picture of oscar on there wheres the truck ?

Dean.
                            Here you go

Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

Comment

Working...
                            X