PDA

View Full Version : Flat top pistons

casey
06-13-2007, 05:19 PM
Forgive me if this is a dumb question. I have ended up with a set of slightly used R1 type flat top pistions(with rods). Too good to throw away, but I have no intention of ever building a 289 with them either. I also have a very good 259 crankshaft. What would happen if I mated the flat top pistons to the 259 crankshaft in one of the extra blocks I have laying around? Are the R1 flat tops the same as the flat tops that were used with the stock 259?

Mike Van Veghten
06-13-2007, 06:42 PM
You'd have about 4 to 1 compression!

The piston would be down in the hole the same amount that is the difference as the crank shaft differences are.
The piston compression height is...what...something like .125" difference!

Mike

r1lark
06-13-2007, 07:46 PM
quote:Originally posted by casey

Forgive me if this is a dumb question. I have ended up with a set of slightly used R1 type flat top pistions(with rods). Too good to throw away, but I have no intention of ever building a 289 with them either. I also have a very good 259 crankshaft. What would happen if I mated the flat top pistons to the 259 crankshaft in one of the extra blocks I have laying around? Are the R1 flat tops the same as the flat tops that were used with the stock 259?

Hey Casey, if you're interested in selling 'em, contact me off-forum at r1lark@aol.com and let's talk.

Paul

Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: http://hometown.aol.com/r1skytop/myhomepage/index.html

PackardV8
06-13-2007, 09:35 PM
and if Paul doesn't take them, I will. PackardV8@comcast.net.

PackardV8