PDA

View Full Version : Hawk door handle

johnesmonde
09-09-2006, 11:07 PM
I lost the door handle button and spring from the drivers side on the Hawk. I now have a new one from Stude International. I assumed that it was held in place by a retainer clip but there is no groove in the shaft of the replacement. I have not had the door panel off yet. What holds the button and shaft in place?

Regards,
John

John Esmonde
Holland Landing, Ontario
Canada
'62 Hawk
'30 Chev Coach

55s
09-10-2006, 10:56 AM
It sounds lke you are talking about an outside door handle. Usually, it is sold as an assembly.

The outside door handle has a washer crimped on it from the inside of the handle itself. To remove the handle, you take out the small screw in the doorjam, and slide the handle forward, since the front of the handle hooks in the door backwards. Sometimes the handle requires a rap with a wooden hammer to loosen the grp it has on the door. Protective tape, if you can slide it under the handle, protects paint. After its off, you can slide the button with spring through the outside and secure with a crimped on washer on the inside and reinstall the handle.

The inside door handle has a retainer C clip that dos require slots in the shaft of the handle. If there are none, then I'm baffled, and I'd look at your other door handle to figure out how to make the slots.

In any case, I have extras if you want to have a look and I'm no too far - Caledon, ON.

Paul Revell

johnesmonde
09-10-2006, 12:01 PM
Thanks Paul, I was talking about the outside door handle. I figured out how to get it out this morning and am off to Canadian Tire to find an appropriate crimped washer. I did find the old one inside the door and had the washer on but it came off with the spring pressure when I let go off the button. Oops! It now resides somewhere in my driveway.

John Esmonde
Holland Landing, Ontario
Canada
'62 Hawk
'30 Chev Coach

johnesmonde
09-10-2006, 05:14 PM
Could not find a crimped washer that would hold so I drilled a hole in the button shaft and used a small cotter pin to hold it in place. Works great!

John Esmonde
Holland Landing, Ontario
Canada
'62 Hawk
'30 Chev Coach