El Mirage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• El Mirage?

Anyone know if El Mirage is still running today with the drizzles going on out there?

I can only imaginge that a dry lake gets pretty slimmy {slimy, slimmie?} if there is any moisture and the forecast says some rain throughout the day today.

Thought I would ask.

what is El Mirage?
    1960 Lark VIII Regal Wagon

Comment

Originally posted by cultural infidel View Post
      what is El Mirage?
      SCTA - Home of the Land Speed Racing speed trials.

(copy)
      El Mirage Dry Lake
      El Mirage dry lake bed has been home to Land Speed Racing (LSR) for more than half a century. It is located just 30 miles east of a growing high desert community known as the Antelope Valley. Back when Land Speed Racing was young, a group of men that had been racing on the dry lakes for several years, decided to incorporate and create a new racing organization which would enforce safety procedures and promote the sport. Hence the birth of the Southern California Timing Association (SCTA). This year, the SCTA is celebrating its 61th year of LSR activities at the El Mirage dry lake.
      Land Speed Racing has always been, and still remains a volunteer sport. All of the various club members, SCTA board members, and all other event workers volunteer their time and energy to the benefit of the sport. Our events are wonderful for families and friends to join together for fun and the excitement that always follows Land Speed Racing.
      There are four (4) one day races per year, June/July/Sep/Oct and two (2) two day races in May/November. Vehicle inspections begin on the day prior to the race (Saturday) and the racing begins early Sunday morning. The race day starts with a drivers meeting, patrol meeting, announcements, and national anthem. The duration of the race usually lasts as long as the weather and course conditions hold up. All drivers and crew members are allowed in the starting line area with a signed insurance form and wrist tag. Spectators are required to stay behind the barricades, where they will have an excellent, but safe view of the operational area.
      Vehicles are lined up for the starting line according to their current season points standing. All entries must be a member of one of the clubs within the Southern California Timing Association. But - there is a "Guest" option to race on the course for "Time Only". All drivers MUST be licensed for the speed at which they will be racing.
      Overnight camping is always welcome on the lake bed with a few simple rules. No open fires, no waste dumping, and if you bring it in, you take it home. Speed and helmet regulations exist while on the lake bed and are strictly enforced. During the summer months it can get very hot, so shade is a must as well as sun screen and plenty of water. There is usually a food vendor, and the SCTA has a sales trailer for all the racing goodies. Racing on a dry lakebed can be very dirty and windy, so casual clothing is advised. All race information for the event is announced on a loud speaker and also broadcast on an FM frequency (88.7) for all spectators to hear while at the lakebed.
      As of 1996, the SCTA decided to return to one of the original sites which hosted many LSR race events until WWII. 'MUROC' Dry Lake, for just a few short years once again hosted racing events at Edwards Air Force Base.
      HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

They run there about once a month from march to november. It is supposed to be running this weekend, but I doubt anyone wants to run 100-200+ mph on a dry lake bed....if it is not dry.

It is right off of hywy 395 about 10-20 miles north of where the 395 breaks off from the 15 frwy then head west a bit. Neat place. Not quite the Bonneville salt flats, but still very cool for only an hour from my house.

Comment

I ran it once in a 1987 Shelby CSX - the regulars were snickering when I pulled up to the line figuring it was just a Dodge Shadow with fancy decals. I made one run - hit the traps at 126MPH in the standing mile and couldn't run again without all the whiz-bang safety stuff it didn't have.

Then they all wanted to see what was in it - I just told them it was a 2.2l 4-banger and went home.

The aftermarket computer I was running upped the turbo boost to 18#, made that little thing fly. It also lunched the motor by 75K miles.

Comment

Word has it that the race conditions are perfect, and records are falling.
            Earlier rain smoothed out the surface, and sprinkles made it tacky..
            Jeff
            HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Jeff,
              You got that right. Guys that have been racing out there for years are amazed at how good the conditions are. Records are falling right and left. Dave Bloomberg called me from the dirt to tell me a roadster ran 258 mph. I am so bummed that we were not able to get our car out there. This racing season has been a bust.
              Dan

Comment

I have been thinking about running up there tomorrow and watching for a bit....I was hoping to meet you Dan and check out your cool motorhome.

Comment

You should go. Dave Bloomberg said it was awesome racing. With the rain the dust is minimal and you can really see the cars fly. I was going to go but couldn't bring myself to go and torture myself without the car. Plan on next March I will be there motorhome and all. It looks like we might even have the Avanti back out there. Not sure at this time what engine will be in it but it will be fast. Keep in touch.
                  Dan

Comment

Working...
                  X