Options for 1956 Sky Hawk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Options for 1956 Sky Hawk

Does anyone have a list of factory options for the 1956 Sky Hawk? It's my understanding that the 289, 4 BBL engine was standard on that model and as a part of that package would be dual exhausts, correct?. Thanks

Originally posted by CarCrosswordDan View Post
    Does anyone have a list of factory options for the 1956 Sky Hawk?
    Not I, but someone on here may have ...IF not, ask the SKY HAWK "EXPERTS" at: http://www.1956goldenhawk.com/56skyhawk/index.htm

It's my understanding that the 289, 4 BBL engine was standard on that model and as a part of that package would be dual exhausts, correct? Thanks ?
    Our Sky Hawk came "standard" with that or at least a copy of our Sky Hawk's Production Order would indicate it.

Good Luck!!!

Comment

Your Car is considered to be a President 56H, partly because of the standard 289 Engine, the "Power Kit" was Standard. Also it was very well appointed with very high quality interior & trim, with chrome plated inside windshield and backlight mouldings, stainless headliner bows, Carpeting, Deluxe Steering Wheel, padded Dash etc.

Most all accessories however i.e. White Walls, Wheel Covers, Climitizer, Radio, Clock, Tachometer etc. would be optional.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
        Your Car is considered to be a President 56H, partly because of the standard 289 Engine, the "Power Kit" was Standard. Also it was very well appointed with very high quality interior & trim, with chrome plated inside windshield and backlight mouldings, stainless headliner bows, Carpeting, Deluxe Steering Wheel, padded Dash etc.

Most all accessories however i.e. White Walls, Wheel Covers, Climitizer, Radio, Clock, Tachometer etc. would be optional.
        Just picking nits, but the inside front and rear window reveal mouldings were stainless, and only came on some of the early 56 Golden and Sky Hawks. Most (including the 2 my family has owned) had the black painted trim.

I've also never seen stainless headliner bows in a '56.

Comment

Are you sure your Family Sky Hawk was completely factory original Matt?

Remember it was built a very long time before you were born and probably also before he owned it.

I remember several from new, and never saw one without all that shiny (whatever material) windshield and headliner trim.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
            Are you sure your Family Sky Hawk was completely factory original Matt?

Remember it was built a very long time before you were born and probably also before he owned it.

I remember several from new, and never saw one without all that shiny (whatever material) windshield and headliner trim.
            You're both correct ..to an extent!!!

"Stainless" was used before approx. 4,925 total '56 Golden, Sky & Power Hawks were built and thereafter all were "Painted." The headlining "Bows" were made of metal, but the headlining bow "Retainers" were all made of plastic.

Comment

My first Sky Hawk that I bought in 67 from the original owner was all orignal. It had painted window trim, cardboard headliner and plastic bows. The one I have now has 57 type headliner. I once parted out a 56 GH that had stainless window trim, but I think it had the plastic bows.
              Neil Thornton

Comment

Back in the 1970's, I took a '56 Sky Hawk in trade on a '61 4 speed Hawk I was selling. I was impressed since it had power windows (front doors only) and a power seat!

Comment

StudeRich, How would they have mounted the optional tachometer in the '56 Sky Hawk? Would A/C have been an available option as well? Thanks, CarCrosswordDan

Comment

the tach was mounted where the clock is. the clock was moved toward the center of the Dash. I think 57 was the first year for AC.
                    Neil Thornton

Comment

StudeRich, How would they have mounted the optional tachometer in the '56 Sky Hawk? Would A/C have been an available option as well? Thanks, CarCrosswordDan
                      I ain't StudeRich, BUT ...if a Tach & Clock were mounted at the factory they likely would have used the same arrangement as they did for the '56 Golden Hawk. Go here; http://www.1956goldenhawk.com/ghstory.htm ...then scroll down a ways to see the Golden Hawk Speedo/Tach/Clock arrangenet. Our '56 Sky only had the Clock (no Tach) and it was mounted just to the right of the Speedo. Also if you look behind the dash ...just to the right of where the radio would be installed ...you should see a cut-out in the fiberglass panel for a Clock.

UPDATE: Here are better views http://www.ebay.com/itm/STUDEBAKER-G...sories&vxp=mtr of the '56 Golden Hawk arrangement ...most likely the same as would have been installed in a Sky Hawk w/Tach/Clock/Vacuum Gage options.

Good Luck!!!
                      Last edited by Welcome; 11-13-2011, 07:55 AM.

Comment

Having restored my Sky Hawk in the last few years, I can answer some of these questions. Mine was an early production Sky Hawk and indeed came from the factory with the stainless steel inside window moldings and the plastic headline bow covers. A/C was not an option on any of the '56 Hawks. Popular but not necessarily common options on Sky Hawks included but was not limited to: power windows, power seats, power brake, PS, dual exhaust, seat belts, push button radio with or without the rear deck speaker included, tach and the vacuum pressure gauges. Most had the 2 tone paint scheme but some were a single solid color. Of course, I do not believe any of these options were exclusive to just the Sky Hawk and could be found on the other Hawks, if so ordered. The only items I can think of that would have been specific to the Sky Hawk were the interior door and seat cover styling and of course the "Sky" script on the trunk lid. I hope this is helpful.

Comment

Radsman, very helpful indeed. Many thanks, CarCrosswordDan

Comment

BTW Dan, I now see your from Mansfield, I grew up in Ft. Worth and Arlington but now live in Indiana. Small world.

Comment

Working...
                            X