PDA

View Full Version : ?? Converting 64 Hawk Seats to Reclining Buckets

studebaker-R2-4-me
06-13-2007, 09:36 AM
I would like to convert my bucket seats in my 64 Hawk to reclining Buckets. One of my quests at South Bend will be looking for the conversion parts.

Is there anything special that I will require? Do I need a reclining seat frame or is this just a bolt on feature?

Allen

1964 GT Hawk soon to be R2 Clone

gordr
06-13-2007, 10:31 AM
Allen, you'd be better off finding a complete set of reclining seats. IIRC, the base frame appears to be the same, but the frame for the back is entirely different, and the internal-toothed gear for the recliner is welded to the flange on the base frame.

I once looked at taking the recliners off a seat of split bench seats to put on a set of buckets, and decided it was going to be more work that I was prepared to do.

It would probably be easier to buy a pair of recliners with ratty upholstery, and switch the covers off good non-recliners onto the frames.

You ought to be able to find some at South Bend.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

studebaker-R2-4-me
06-13-2007, 07:54 PM
I will be looking for a reclining set of Hawk seats at South Bend. If anyone has a set of reclining frames let me know. I be in South Bend on the 19th

Allen

1964 GT Hawk soon to be R2 Clone

N8N
06-13-2007, 07:55 PM
Be aware that the recliner mechanism is known to be problematic... if you really want 'em by all means go for it, but the standard seats are much less likely to fail on you.

nate

--
55 Commander Starlight
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

2R2
06-13-2007, 10:08 PM
I second what Nate stated; unless you plan on taking a lot of naps in your car, there isn't really any advantage to the recliners, as they are a rather fragile piece - I know, as all of a sudden I was trying to drive while flat on my back one day when the gear stripped!

Eric
'49 2R-5 (original survivor)
'63 R2-Lark (barely surviving)