jet thrust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: jet thrust

What kind if horsepower do you think you would get from a stock 259 with a jet thrust supercharger pushing through it?
    Last edited by toastervet; 11-10-2011, 01:08 PM. Reason: Wrong engine displacement

230 HP considering a proper carb. and sufficient exhaust.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

So you only pick up 35 HP over stock with a 4 bbl carb?

Comment

Thats probably a good guess. Remember the R series engines with a supercharger also had a different cam & dual point distributor with modified spark advance. Perhaps some of the guys from the Studebaker Racing Forum will see this & chime in too.
        59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
        60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
        61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
        62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
        62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
        62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
        63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
        63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
        64 Zip Van
        66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
        66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Thanks for the info.I've always heard that the easiest way to increase horse power is with turbo or supercharging. I thought with 6 to 7 lbs of boost you could increase by 50%. By the way Warren, I live in Hemet.

Comment

The best you can hope for is 5# of boost at 5000rpm with an SN60 Paxton of 60's vintage. Horsepower loss from turning the supercharger must also be taken into account.
            Frank van Doorn
            Omaha, Ne.
            1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
            1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
            1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

Actually 230 is only 5 more than a stock '57 to '64 289 4V, and 10 less than a R1 289 with 10.25 to 1 Comp. a bit too much for a Supercharged engine. But, the obvious trick is to get custom made higher Comp. pistons for a 259 at about 9.5 to 1 and do valve and head work, change to an R1/R2 Cam or an R2+ Fairborn Studebaker Cam.

I do think you would be looking at more like maybe 240 or so, stock with blower, but still not enough for the cost, and you WILL be needing R1/R2 Valve Springs!
              Last edited by StudeRich; 11-10-2011, 05:12 PM.
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I thought with 6 to 7 lbs of boost you could increase by 50%.
                You must have been reading Andy Granatelli's ads for the Paxton. Andy G. always did dream large. Believe those who have experience with the product over those who want to sell you the product.

As previously mentioned, the R2 made 49 more horsepower than an R1. That's about a 20% increase.

I'd agree with Rich, a 259" with increased compression and cam would be around 240 horsepower.

jack vines
                Last edited by PackardV8; 11-10-2011, 05:14 PM.
                PackardV8

Comment

Well, I've done it; having installed a complete R2 setup on a worn 1960 Lark VIII Regal 4-door with overdrive. Heck, I was only 21 or 22 when I did it, but it made a lot of power. 259s wind up so much faster than longer-stroke 289s, all other things equal.

Go for it! BP
                  We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Working...
                  X