body off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frame / Springs: body off

I have a 63 Avanti R1 and would like to take the body off to do a good restoration on the the frame. I have read some on body off restoration but not much on how to lift the body off.
    My friends say not to take the body off, to much work and trouble. Is it that bad and how hard of a job is it?
    I could use all the help I can get from those that have been there done that.
    Thanks Tumack

Aren't there some severe rust issues at the rear crossmember on the Avanti frame that might get missed without doing a frame-off?

Mike O'Handley
    Kenmore, Washington
    hausdok@msn.com
    Mike O'Handley, Cat Herder Third Class
    Kenmore, Washington
    hausdok@msn.com

'58 Packard Hawk
    '05 Subaru Baja Turbo
    '71 Toyota Crown Coupe
    '69 Pontiac Firebird
    (What is it with me and discontinued/orphan cars?)

Comment

Originally posted by Tumack View Post
      I have a 63 Avanti R1 and would like to take the body off to do a good restoration on the the frame. I have read some on body off restoration but not much on how to lift the body off.
      My friends say not to take the body off, to much work and trouble. Is it that bad and how hard of a job is it?
      Thanks Tumack
      Tumack

Here is one post on the Avanti body lift http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...ht=avanti+body there may be more if you use the search function in the upper right hand corner of the site.

I'm deep in the rebuilding of my 1974 Avanti and with a lift, I can get most anywhere on the frame with the body bolts removed from the firewall back to facilitate repairs and re-coat the frame. If you will be working from jack stands then the body off will make it much easier to deal with the frame.

This type of issue and the fact that I'm looking back over my shoulder at the crest of the hill are the main reasons I purchased the lift.

Bob

Comment

The factory lifted them from the rear wheel wells and the cowl area. In the shop, we lifted them from the window/door opening. I only believe in taking the body off if you are planning on replacing the frame.
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by Tumack View Post
          Thanks Tumack
          I just completed what you are contemplating; it makes a more complete rebuild and it revealed two small rust areas that would, most likely, be missed. While the hog troughs were solid the rear cross member was not and it looks like it would be easier to replace and realign properly with the frame upside down. The studes were supported thru the rear wheel wells and the firewall supports but I was not sure about the Avanti and posted the question a few day ago. All is going well so far. I always flip the frame over and do the underside first and then return it to upright position; In this case I'm waiting for the cross member which should be here next week. Many Avanti's have significant cross member rust and in replacing it, I welded a temporary cross member to prevent frame movement, and to align the trunk support flange with the bottom of the trunk with
          frame in its upside down position. While I have done 7 frame offs Studes since 1995, this was the first Avanti, the body is very strong and was supported by the hog troughs but everything that could be taken off the body was taken off; it is suprisingly heavy, but I did it myself and it will make for a much better and lasting job. Ken, Deltaville, Va

another thought; if you decide to take the body off, bag and number the frame bolts and RUBBER PADS they go back in the same position as original, this could save alignment time when the body is returned to the frame.
          Last edited by ken-renda; 11-11-2011, 05:21 AM.

Comment

Tumack,

I'm restoring a 1950 Commander with the body off. It is a lot of work but I think it's absolutely worth the effort. Look how my frame looks now. I would never have been able to protect it this good if I had left the body in place.

Getting the body off was not all that hard. I took a fork lift, slid on the long forks, protected the door opening and lifted. I continually kept an eye that it did not bend the body.
            The Blog: http://dutchstuderesto.wordpress.com

Comment

Working...
            X