I really need some help with ordinary questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I really need some help with ordinary questions

I've been hitting the "circuit" lately with my GT Hawk, and the level of interest from spectators in astounding.

The problem however, is I am so new to Studes, I don't know the answers to all the questions I keep being asked and I don't know really where to go for a "quick fix", except to you people here.

So here are some of the more "interesting" things I've been asked which I need answers for, so I don't seem too terribly stooopid:

What exactly is a Golden Hawk...a Studebaker or a Packard? What years were there Golden Hawks and what motor did they have in them?....259, 289 (chevy 327?) 352.....and were they supercharged? How many years was the Golden Hawk made. I recall it being only 2 years....am I right? When did they 1st make Golden Hawks.....'56 or '57?

Is the 4speed found in my GT Hawk considered a rarity or were they pretty common? Did the 62 GT Hawk have the supercharger as an option? (I've been telling people the Supercharger was not offered until the 63 model year....is that right?)

Was there EVER a 327 CID motor in any Studebaker? (I keep being told there was).

What was the 1st year for the Lark? And the last year?. Did any of them have 289 motors...did they come from the factory with superchargers.

What was the 1st year for the 259 motor? and the 289 motor? and in what model did they first appear?

Is the Daytona simply nothing more than a "souped up" Lark? Or is it a line all of its own?

I keep being asked when Studebaker stopped making cars. I say the year was 1966, right? Some people tell me 1964 was the last year for Studes here in the states and the last 2 years was in Canada only and THEY had chevy 283's in them. Are they right?

When did Packards stop production?

Is an Avanti II the same as an Avanti?.....and were they both made by Studebaker? Some people tell me that someone is STILL making Avanti's. I just have to shake my head and look dumb. I dunno nuttin.

I am telling people that 1961 was the 1st year for a 4sp manual tranny in any Studebaker. Before that, they had a 3sp with overdrive, or just a standard 3 speed manual. Am I right on that?

What is the CFM of the WCFB 4bbl carb on my GT Hawk? (You'd be surprised how many times I am asked that). My guess is somewhere around 600cfm.

And my understanding is that the Hurst shifter in my GT Hawk came that way from the factory, right? And that there is really no way to know for sure if my '62 Hawk is a "numbers-matching" car?

I sure hope you people can give me an "instant education" here. I got another cruise-in coming up Friday.

Last Saturday, I went to a local car show and lo and behold there were FOUR Studebakers present, out of 65 total classics.....surprise, surprise!

A '55 coupe with a Mustang Windsor V8 in it. A 55 President, looks to be completely original. A 50's something pickup, nicely restored. And my GT Hawk. I wish now that I had brought my camera.

Karl

1962 GT Hawk 4sp

Golden Hawks were made in 56-57 &58 by Studebaker. The 1956 model had the 352 Packard engine and was not supercharged, the 57 and 58's were supercharged and had the 289 Stude engine.
    The 4 speed was only rare in 1961.fairly common after that. Correct, supercharger use resumed in 1963.
    No Studebaker ever used a 327
    Larks were available with a 289.they could be ordered starting in 1963 with the R-2 supercharged option. The Lark line of cars started in 1959. Last year they were called Larks was 1963,after that different names were used for the same cars.
    First year for the 259 was 1955, first year for 289 was 1956.
    In 1956 the 289 could be had in the Sky Hawk only and was available in the upper models in the sedans.( corrected item)
    The Daytona is a model in the Lark line at the top of the line but not considered a souped up model but could have the R-2 option but also a 259 2 barrel like mine.
    Studebaker ceased making cars in the U.S in December of 1963 and con tinued in Canada until March of 1966.
    1965 an 1966 Studes were built with 194-230 6 cylinders or 283 V-8 Mckinnon engines also referrred to as Chevrolet by some.Mckinnon built the engines under license from GM.
    Packard ceased production with the 1956 model in Detroit, 1957 and 1958 Models were produced at Studebaker with Studebaker based bodies and power trains The Avanti was made by Studebaker in 1963 and 64, starting in 1966 the Avanti11 was made by a different company and continued in production through several companies , at last report they are still making cars. In other words Studebaker did not make the Avanti 11, only subsequent makers did. Avanti11 used Chevrolet engines of various sizes through the years including 327. This is a very very rudementory description Karl. Best to buy or get a book at library about Studebakers and read up on the history.Actually it is interesting reading. Books can be had at South Bend at a vendor or at the museum gift shop.The books the "Studebaker Century" and "Studebaker Cars come to mind.
    Frank van Doorn
    Omaha, Ne.
    1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
    1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
    1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

Golden Hawks were made in 56-57 &58 by Studebaker. The 1956 model had the 352 Packard engine and was not supercharged, the 57 and 58's were supercharged and had the 289 Stude engine.
      The 4 speed was only rare in 1961.fairly common after that. Correct, supercharger use resumed in 1963.
      No Studebaker ever used a 327
      Larks were available with a 289.they could be ordered starting in 1963 with the R-2 supercharged option. The Lark line of cars started in 1959. Last year they were called Larks was 1963,after that different names were used for the same cars.
      First year for the 259 was 1955, first year for 289 was 1956.
      In 1956 the 289 could be had in the Sky Hawk only and was available in the upper models in the sedans.( corrected item)
      The Daytona is a model in the Lark line at the top of the line but not considered a souped up model but could have the R-2 option but also a 259 2 barrel like mine.
      Studebaker ceased making cars in the U.S in December of 1963 and con tinued in Canada until March of 1966.
      1965 an 1966 Studes were built with 194-230 6 cylinders or 283 V-8 Mckinnon engines also referrred to as Chevrolet by some.Mckinnon built the engines under license from GM.
      Packard ceased production with the 1956 model in Detroit, 1957 and 1958 Models were produced at Studebaker with Studebaker based bodies and power trains The Avanti was made by Studebaker in 1963 and 64, starting in 1966 the Avanti11 was made by a different company and continued in production through several companies , at last report they are still making cars. In other words Studebaker did not make the Avanti 11, only subsequent makers did. Avanti11 used Chevrolet engines of various sizes through the years including 327. This is a very very rudementory description Karl. Best to buy or get a book at library about Studebakers and read up on the history.Actually it is interesting reading. Books can be had at South Bend at a vendor or at the museum gift shop.The books the "Studebaker Century" and "Studebaker Cars come to mind.
      Frank van Doorn
      Omaha, Ne.
      1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed

Comment

How about if I start with 41 Frank's excellent reply and create a basic "Studebaker Facts & Fiction" page and keep it in the "Tech Tips" section for future reference? If anyone has more to add to such a page either post it here or send me a private email.

BShaw,Webmaster

60 Hawk. 49 2R5, 39 Champion
        Woodbury, Minnesota
        sigpic
        Bob Shaw
        Rush City, Minnesota
        1960 Hawk - www.northstarstudebakers.com
        "The farther I go, the behinder I get."

Comment

How about if I start with 41 Frank's excellent reply and create a basic "Studebaker Facts & Fiction" page and keep it in the "Tech Tips" section for future reference? If anyone has more to add to such a page either post it here or send me a private email.

BShaw,Webmaster

Woodbury, Minnesota
          sigpic
          Bob Shaw
          Rush City, Minnesota

Comment

That is a great idea Bob, that way everyone especially people that are new to the Studebaker car hobby would have a place to get quick answers to their questions, this is not to say forum members are not allready filling that void in most respects.There is an incredible amount of knowledge present here. Like I said in my post to Karl above my info was very, very rudementary. Others will chime in to fill the voids in my answer.

quote:Originally posted by BShaw

BShaw,Webmaster

Woodbury, Minnesota
            Frank van Doorn
            Omaha, Ne.
            1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed

Comment

That is a great idea Bob, that way everyone especially people that are new to the Studebaker car hobby would have a place to get quick answers to their questions, this is not to say forum members are not allready filling that void in most respects.There is an incredible amount of knowledge present here. Like I said in my post to Karl above my info was very, very rudementary. Others will chime in to fill the voids in my answer.

BShaw,Webmaster

Woodbury, Minnesota
              Frank van Doorn
              Omaha, Ne.
              1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed

Comment

Forgot to answer a couple of Karls questions, the WCFB is somewhere around 500CFM I believe. Gt Hawks used 4 speed linkage similar to a 60's Corvette, marginal at best, no GT came equipped with a Hurst to my knowledge,but I did put one in mine.Someone else can chime in on the numbers matching question.I am not sure of my answer.
                Frank van Doorn
                Omaha, Ne.
                1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed

Comment

Forgot to answer a couple of Karls questions, the WCFB is somewhere around 500CFM I believe. Gt Hawks used 4 speed linkage similar to a 60's Corvette, marginal at best, no GT came equipped with a Hurst to my knowledge,but I did put one in mine.Someone else can chime in on the numbers matching question.I am not sure of my answer.
                  Frank van Doorn
                  Omaha, Ne.
                  1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed

Comment

Yeah, covering some basic facts/myths, etc. It would be impossible to have an "everything you wanted/need to know" page...and nor should there be one. Comprehensive written information is nice but impersonal. It has been my Bobservation that it is the personal interaction at meets, in this forum and elsewhere that makes the difference between a Studebaker "owner" and a Studebaker "enthusiast". In other words, it is all of you who are "carriers" of the "disease" who take the time to personally reply to an inquiry that makes the marque, the hobby and this club special. I'm just saying I don't want to ever put that priceless asset in harm's way. Thus ends today's sermon.

BShaw,Webmaster

Woodbury, Minnesota
                    sigpic
                    Bob Shaw
                    Rush City, Minnesota

Comment

Yeah, covering some basic facts/myths, etc. It would be impossible to have an "everything you wanted/need to know" page...and nor should there be one. Comprehensive written information is nice but impersonal. It has been my Bobservation that it is the personal interaction at meets, in this forum and elsewhere that makes the difference between a Studebaker "owner" and a Studebaker "enthusiast". In other words, it is all of you who are "carriers" of the "disease" who take the time to personally reply to an inquiry that makes the marque, the hobby and this club special. I'm just saying I don't want to ever put that priceless asset in harm's way. Thus ends today's sermon.

BShaw,Webmaster

Woodbury, Minnesota
                      sigpic
                      Bob Shaw
                      Rush City, Minnesota

Comment

Frank - For my clarification, maybe I am incorrect, but it was my understanding that the 1956 Hawk line-up was as follows:

Flighthawk - 169 cu. in. L-block 6 cyl.
                        Powerhawk - 259 V-8
                        Skyhawk - 289 V-8 (no supercharger)
                        Goldenhawk - 352 Packard V-8

Making the Skyhawk the only Hawk in which the 289 was available in the 1956 model year
                        Is this not correct?

Studebaker Fever
                        60 Lark
                        51 Champion
                        Phil
                        Arnold, Missouri

Studebaker Fever
                        60 Lark
                        56 Power Hawk
                        Phil Hendrickson
                        Arnold, Missouri

Comment

Frank - For my clarification, maybe I am incorrect, but it was my understanding that the 1956 Hawk line-up was as follows:

Flighthawk - 169 cu. in. L-block 6 cyl.
                          Powerhawk - 259 V-8
                          Skyhawk - 289 V-8 (no supercharger)
                          Goldenhawk - 352 Packard V-8

Making the Skyhawk the only Hawk in which the 289 was available in the 1956 model year
                          Is this not correct?

Studebaker Fever
                          60 Lark
                          51 Champion
                          Phil
                          Arnold, Missouri

Studebaker Fever
                          60 Lark
                          56 Power Hawk
                          Phil Hendrickson
                          Arnold, Missouri

Comment

Well said Bob

BShaw,Webmaster

Woodbury, Minnesota
                            Frank van Doorn
                            Omaha, Ne.
                            1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed

Comment

Well said Bob

BShaw,Webmaster

Woodbury, Minnesota
                              Frank van Doorn
                              Omaha, Ne.
                              1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed

Comment

Working...
                              X