The Lenyo Studebaker-UAW papers Page #1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Lenyo Studebaker-UAW papers Page #1

The Lenyo papers page #1. The other day I was loaned an old notebook from a friend of mine. The notebook was written by Mike Lenyo Sr. who was a UAW #5 union representative at Studebaker. I started copying his notes from this book and it mostly talks about Studebaker's contract with the Union... Some parts of it are really dry reading, some interesting. Mike Lenyo Jr. loaned me the book and this is the first reading of it since about 1963. I'll continue to post it as I copy it and type it.

(It starts out kinda dull, but the end of the notes are probably most interesting.)

I. In arbitration, the contract must be followed to the letter, no wild cats grievance procedures must be followed. All grievances must have facts, figures, and all date pertaining to the grievances. First thing on a grievance is to check contract language.
    Penalty cases are going to be a case of guilty or not guilty. investigations are going to be one of the important things in arbitrations. Talk to the guilty party first. If employee is guilty, he must admit it. If a man is innocent, he should not be evasive, but be honest. Guilty: past record of company (Studebaker) concerning like violations. Past record of foremen, bitterness against union, personal prejudice, past record will establish a pattern of conduct of employee.

II. Past record of employee: Company (Studebaker) must have available: Attendance, medical (health hazard), fear, personal or otherwise, disciplinary, seniority, age, and work record. If a man suddenly develops a fear of working of dies in presses he would be transferred to a job that he could do. Company (Studebaker) would not be held responsible to provide a job in his classification. Whenever a supervisor makes a threat against a steward of a union officer, make a grievance and put it on on the record. Disciplinary record is important. When employee responds to discipline, it shows that employee will heed company rules.

III. Amount of seniority is important because time worked and age. Investigate each discharge case thoroughly: work record and past record of employee. Check contract for time limit on discharge. If company (Studebaker) does not make record available, company has violated the contract. Past record only has bearing on employee if guilty. Getting all facts and figures should be put in writing. Difference in any pay or earnings when employee is reinstated. Seniority violation: Employee laid off, employee who should have been laid off, previous experience outside of plant.

Part IV to follow later. Some of the reading is interesting, other parts I don't know if it makes sense... But it's copied word for word. The end of the notes has a list of all the represantitives and their departments at Studebaker.
    Chris Dresbach
Working...
X