1962 Lark rear shock absorber/U bolt brackets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1962 Lark rear shock absorber/U bolt brackets

OK: I snagged a 1964 Ford Ranchero 8" rear end for my Lark and; come to find out, it has 3" axle tubes vs. the 2.5 inchers on the Dana 27 that is coming out.

The leaf spring pad width on both is the same: 2.5".

Did some Studes have rear shock/U bolt mtg brackets for 3" axle tubes and, if so, would somebody here on the Forum be willing to turn loose a set? PM me with a price, etc.
    --------------------------------------

Sold my 1962; Studeless at the moment

Borrowed Bams50's sigline here:

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Originally posted by 1962larksedan View Post
    OK: I snagged a 1964 Ford Ranchero 8" rear end for my Lark and; come to find out, it has 3" axle tubes vs. the 2.5 inchers on the Dana 27 that is coming out.

The leaf spring pad width on both is the same: 2.5".

Did some Studes have rear shock/U bolt mtg brackets for 3" axle tubes and, if so, would somebody here on the Forum be willing to turn loose a set? PM me with a price, etc.
    Probably just me but why not use the Ranchero spring pads.

If it's a shock mount thing than, weld one on or build an adapter or last but not least make a new one out of 1/2' Plate or so if the Stude ones don't exist.

Comment

Originally posted by sweetolbob View Post
      Probably just me but why not use the Ranchero spring pads.

If it's a shock mount thing than, weld one on or build an adapter or last but not least make a new one out of 1/2' Plate or so if the Stude ones don't exist.
      The seller of the Ranchero rear end kept the shock brackets since he is swapping a 9 incher in. And too they used the 'bayonet' style shock, I would prefer to stay with the eyelet style.

I still have my 2.5" axle diameter Stude brackets but they are too narrow to fill in/drill wider spaced U bolt holes.

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

Originally posted by 1962larksedan View Post
        The seller of the Ranchero rear end kept the shock brackets since he is swapping a 9 incher in. And too they used the 'bayonet' style shock, I would prefer to stay with the eyelet style.

I still have my 2.5" axle diameter Stude brackets but they are too narrow to fill in/drill wider spaced U bolt holes.
        Unless some of the trucks had 3" pads my Avanti's are all under 3".

How about something like this from Summit Racing.http://www.summitracing.com/parts/AAF-ALL60036/

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by sweetolbob View Post
          Unless some of the trucks had 3" pads my Avanti's are all under 3".

How about something like this from Summit Racing.http://www.summitracing.com/parts/AAF-ALL60036/

Bob
          Thanks for the tip!

Comment

Hey 62 Lark sedan, how about looking at the Lakewood traction bars? I recall some of them (NOT THE $29.95 CHEAP JUNK CLAMP OVER YOUR LEAF PACK IMITATIONS) installed in place of the lower spring plate and have holes for the U bolts. I used a pair from a 70's Nova on my 61 Lark by splitting the factory spring plate and welding it to the bottom of the plate on the traction bar and drilling new holes for the U bolts. I am using a DANA 44 out of a 66 Cruiser and the stock shocks and you can do the same to retain the stock shock mount. Just cut off the shock mounts you do not need on the traction bars. You might need a somewhat longer U bolt on one side thats all. You WILL have to trim the length of the bar because it will be longer than the length of the leaf spring on the Lark but you want the snubber to hit the spring eye anyhow,not the leaf spring. If it hits the leaf spring that will unload the suspension when you are trying to get it to plant the tires. Hitting the eye of the spring will plant the tires harder and you will greatly reduce wheel hop.

THESE ------> :http://www.summitracing.com/parts/LAK-21606/

NOT THESE !!!!!: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/LAK-20470/

Comment

Working...
            X