the widest 59/60 lark wheels for the rear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheels / Tires: the widest 59/60 lark wheels for the rear

I am looking for info as to what wheels I can get for the lark's rear. I am wanting to get as much rubber under the car as poss w/ the stock wheel wells. I know there is a lot of room to go as far as back spacing goes. is there a donner car I can look for? I also want to get wheels that will hold my center caps from the 63 ( smaller moon type) I know I am asking a lot here lol but I want to keep steel wheels on the car too the jug is a 5 on 4 1/2 as if you experts didn't know that one lol

50 series

Dodge van wheels have the same bolt pattern, and allow 50 series tires on Lark types. I have them on my 59. On my Wagonaire I had to roll the fender lip.

1980's Jaguar have a hub cap that fit, and they resemble a Stude hub cap. Remove the lion head and insert a decal or cut the 'S' from a Lark cap and epoxy it in there.

Comment

That would be Dodge van wheels 1984 and before. 1985 and later Dodge "B" series (full sized) vans had a 5-1/2" bolt circle.

Comment

I forgot to mention years, because I do not have that info. I figured the tape measure double checks size. Also, there are 6 inch and 7 inch. I have yet to try some odd ball 7 or 8 inch ones I found in the pile.

Comment

dodge van 84 and earlier " got it" thanks for the info guys," you all are all right no matter what they say when you are logged off lol.no all kidding aside, thank you very much.

Comment

Why don't you just measure what you have back there, and then get a set made exactly to your specs..?
            There are plenty of shops willing to make steel wheels..! Maybe even near where you live.

Mike

Comment

what kind of shop and how much damage do you think this custom wheel build is going to hurt the pocket? I never even thought they could do this type of job could be done
              Originally posted by Mike Van Veghten View Post
              Why don't you just measure what you have back there, and then get a set made exactly to your specs..?
              There are plenty of shops willing to make steel wheels..! Maybe even near where you live.

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by (S) View Post
                Dodge van wheels have the same bolt pattern, and allow 50 series tires on Lark types. I have them on my 59. On my Wagonaire I had to roll the fender lip.
                50s series?? Really?? Aren't they something like 10"-12" wide?

Looking at that 64 R2 Commander posted yesterday I though how that car would be perfect with a little wider tire on the rear. I never thought there was room for anything more than a 70 series in there without major inner body modifications.

Would love to see pictures of any stock Lark type with 50s on the rear. Got any??
                Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
                Romans 15:13
                Deuteronomy 31:6
                Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Andrews View Post
                  50s series?? Really?? Aren't they something like 10"-12" wide?

Looking at that 64 R2 Commander posted yesterday I though how that car would be perfect with a little wider tire on the rear. I never thought there was room for anything more than a 70 series in there without major inner body modifications.

Would love to see pictures of any stock Lark type with 50s on the rear. Got any??
                  40,50,60,70,75,80 series has nothing to do with the width of a tire. That's the height.
                  The first numbers of a tire's size is the width.
                  The tires on the back of Frosty are 265-75R 15. That means they are 265 MM wide, The aspect ratio is 75. That means the measurement from the thread to the rim is 75% of 265MM, or 7.825 inches. Double that for the top and the bottom of the tire and add the 15" wheel and you get a 30.65 inch tall tire and wheel combination that is 10.43 inches wide.
                  Jerry Forrester
                  Forrester's Chrome
                  Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Andrews View Post
                    50s series?? Would love to see pictures of any stock Lark type with 50s on the rear. Got any??
                    There shouldn't be any problem putting 50 series tires on the back of a Lark type. A 195-50R 15 is only 7.68 inches wide. That should fit under a Lark just fine. I didn't say it wouldn't look stupid (IMHO), I said it should fit.
                    Jerry Forrester
                    Forrester's Chrome
                    Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

I have 7" wheels on my 60 Lark, smoothies made by Wheels Vintique. No go with a stock Stude hubcap, but they have a nice look with the baby moon cap too. I picked the backspace which was a no cost option, but I've forgotten what it was now. The 235/70/15 tires fit in the wheel wells just fine, and clear the fender openings easily. The biggest wheel? No, but easily available and puts enough tire under it for my use. With your twin turbo, you would need tubs, narrowed frame, a Ford 9" with a spool, and slicks. Then you'd have to worry about tweaking the entire car unless you tie it together with a 10-point cage.
                      Last edited by allstateguy; 11-22-2011, 11:35 AM. Reason: text add
                      sigpic
                      JohnP, driving & reviving
                      60 Lark & 58 Scotsman 4dr

Comment

well I wanted to keep it on the sleeper side of the coin so I think I am going to keep the tubs stock.I know a man whom went 6.67 in the 1/4 mile at the fastest street car shoot out in a turbo Mustang so I know the car can go super fast with a 10.5 w. I got a little tweaking to do on the chassi before I can go 1/2 as fast so it gives me something to look forward to.I am going to tie it all together with a cage and I know a man that can do the job like no other the guy is amazing when it comes to " hiding" a cage in a car.it will be 100% safe and when I paint it the same color as the car I think it will disappear to the eye. I decided to do the interior black and white and the car Wimbeldon white. I have not seen a studebaker white and i have looked. I want to see it in person because over a comp does not give it a fair chance. I want to see it with the clear coat ect ect.if you got a paint chip you can part with for a day or two I would be willing to give it a shot and take a good look at it.with the wheels white,body white and the cage the same color it should turn a few heads and with the twin turbo sbc it might make it to a magazine when it gets done and I get older lol right now I am trying to get the thing going and I have run out of time,winter is apon us and i don't have any heat.lets hope for a mild winter here in Wisconsin and I might be working on the old hot rod.
                        Last edited by mookandairin; 11-22-2011, 03:33 PM.

Comment

how much in a stock rear wheel well opening

You can jamb a lot in the original opening, to maximize it will require some differential changes, or having some wheels made for a stock differential.

For grins, This here is about as big as you can go. 255/45/18 (18x9 wheel fitted in a stock, no tubbing no fender modification). Leaves 1 inch outer and inner clearance.

61 Lark

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by mookandairin View Post
                            I decided to do the interior black and white and the car Wimbeldon white. I have not seen a studebaker white and i have looked.
                            You may not have laid eyes on a white one in your area, but just ask for photo's, there are plenty of White Larks owned by club members.
                            61 Lark

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                            X