Multiple Carbs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel System: Multiple Carbs

Were there ever multiple carbs offered on a factory Studebaker engine. I'm aware that the '56 Golden HawK, powered by a 2x4 equipped Packard engine, met that criteria, but it wasn't a Studebaker engine. The one in question is the '64, 304 with 335 HP. Believe that was the R3. I assumed it was supercharged, but somewhere I read it had two fours. Have never read about others.

The R4 Studebaker V8 had dual 4 barrel carbs.
    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

The R4 was Dual AFB 4 Brl. 290 H.P. unsupercharged, overcarburated ...basically a dog.

It did have R3/R4 Heads, ForgedTrue Pistons, high lift, more overlap Cam than R1/R2 etc. like the R3, but higher Compression.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

The R4 was the only engine offered with dual 4 bbl. carbs. The dual quad equipped Packard engines were never offered on the '56 Golden Hawk. There was a performance option called the Jet Streak kit which used the Packard Caribbean dual quad intake setup, a dual point distributor and a performance cam and valve train setup. The Jet Streak kit was released for production and even mentioned in some magazine articles but was never actually produced.
        Think of the R4 as an R3 but with dual AFBs instead of the blower setup, and with 12:1 compression (from domed pistons) instead of the R3's 9.75:1 ratio. And (offically) only 290 hp vs 335 hp for the R3.
        Last edited by R2Andrea; 11-05-2011, 06:27 PM.
        R2Andrea

Comment

Do you have a uni-syn tool?
          Almost a must for setting up multiple carbs...
          I have one if you would like to borrow it.
          Jeff
          HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

I've had a Uni-Syn for years. Bought it first for use on motorcycles, (JC Waitawhile in the late 50s) but can't remember the last flathead V8 with only one carb. that I've had.
            Klif
            55 Speedster/Street Machine
            63 Avanti R2
            64 Convertible R1

Comment

R2Andy, thanks for the clarification. I knew Packard's '55, 352 was rated both @ 260 & 275. Then in '56 the only 352 offered was rated at 275. I didn't realize Packard tweaked the single 4bbl engine to 275, instead I assumed the Studes got leftover '55s which were 2x4 352s. Guess that's what happens when assumptions are made, I just didn't have that information. Is it correct that the R2 was a slightly hor-roded 225hp 289? What comprised the changes, a little better hyd. cam and higher comp. ratio? Any other changes?
              Thanks,
              CarCrosswordDan

Comment

Flat top pistons, hotter cam,9 to 1 compression ratio,supercharger. No "Studebaker" built engine ever used hydraulic lifters. Only hydraulics were in Packard and McKinnon GM engines used.

Originally posted by CarCrosswordDan View Post
                R2Andy, thanks for the clarification. I knew Packard's '55, 352 was rated both @ 260 & 275. Then in '56 the only 352 offered was rated at 275. I didn't realize Packard tweaked the single 4bbl engine to 275, instead I assumed the Studes got leftover '55s which were 2x4 352s. Guess that's what happens when assumptions are made, I just didn't have that information. Is it correct that the R2 was a slightly hor-roded 225hp 289? What comprised the changes, a little better hyd. cam and higher comp. ratio? Any other changes?
                Thanks,
                CarCrosswordDan
                Frank van Doorn
                Omaha, Ne.
                1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
                1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
                1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

I knew Packard's '55, 352 was rated both @ 260 & 275. Then in '56 the only 352 offered was rated at 275. I didn't realize Packard tweaked the single 4bbl engine to 275,
                  For Packard to go from the '55s 260hp to 275hp the '56 Packard V8 got a different cam, larger intake valves, hardened valve retainers, different combustion chamber design, higher compression ratio, and heavier main bearing caps. The '56 is a much better engine than the '55.

FWIW, to try to compete with the 275hp Packard-engined '56GH, Studebaker rated the '57GH Studebaker 289" at 275hp with a 2bbl carb, standard cam and 7.5 c.r. Then, the '63-64 R2 with a 4bbl, hotter cam and 9:1 c.r. was rated at 289hp. Which one do you believe?

jack vines
                  PackardV8

Comment

But Jack, wasn't the '57 equipped with a Paxton supercharger?

Comment

Jack, thanks for the info on the Packard. They made some nice improvements.

Comment

So Jack, prior to the R2 & R3, were all the Paxton equipped cars supplied wit a single 2 barrell carb?

Comment

But Jack, wasn't the '57 equipped with a Paxton supercharger?
                          No, the '57GH had a McCulloch VS57 supercharger with a variable ratio driven pulley. The '63-64 R2/R3 had a similar but different direct drive Paxton supercharger, an SN60, IIRC.

jack vines
                          PackardV8

Comment

The R-4 engine was rated at 280BHP not 290.....my father owned a '56 GH and indeed it had dual quads....also the the biggest engine that Packard offered in '56 was a 374 CID engine rated at 290 BHP with single quad carb.
                            Originally posted by R2Andy View Post
                            The R4 was the only engine offered with dual 4 bbl. carbs. The dual quad equipped Packard engines were never offered on the '56 Golden Hawk. There was a performance option called the Jet Streak kit which used the Packard Caribbean dual quad intake setup, a dual point distributor and a performance cam and valve train setup. The Jet Streak kit was released for production and even mentioned in some magazine articles but was never actually produced.
                            Think of the R4 as an R3 but with dual AFBs instead of the blower setup, and with 12:1 compression (from domed pistons) instead of the R3's 9.75:1 ratio. And (offically) only 290 hp vs 335 hp for the R3.

Comment

The R series engines were offically rated as follows: R1 - 240 hp, R2 - 289 hp, R3 - 335 hp and the R4 - 290 hp. These are the figures released by Studebaker. Your fathers 56J may have had dual quads on it, but it left the assembly line equipped with a 352 and single 4 bbl carb. The 374 was only built in 1956 and had dual quads. It came in the Caribbean and IIRC, the 400.
                              R2Andrea

Comment

Working...
                              X