X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission / Overdrive: 1953 champion column shift problems

KWAHL@SAN.RR.COM
    If you want to ride with the Big Dog
    ....keep your pedal to the metal, your nose in the air and paws on the wheel

sigpic

Remember> it's, not about the destination, its about the journey!
    Life's a journey, enjoy the ride
    Keith Wahl , MD 858-518-2190 (C)

Perhaps you don't have a clear neutral "gate".

If the low-reverse shift rod length adjustment and the second-high shift rod length adjustment are such that the two neutral positions are not in the same place, you can't smoothly change from second-high to low-reverse and back.

Have you chacked that?

Comment

what he said
      1947 M5 under restoration
      a bunch of non-Stude stuff

Comment

Start by putting the car up on jack stands so you can crawl under it.

Remove the pins connecting the shift levers on the transmission from the clevises. move the shift levers until each is in Neutral.

Get in the car and determine that Yes you can move the shift lever into 1st, Rev, 2nd and third. If this fails there is a problem with the column part of the mechanism.
        Once this is clear, adjust the clevises until each pin slips through the clevis and the shift lever. secure the 2nd 3rd pin with a cotter pin. Remove the Rev 1st pin and turn the clevis to lengthen the rod two full turns. (this is needed to make up for 50 plus years of wear)

Put the Rev 1st pin and cotter pin in place. Lower the car, check to see that everything works and enjoy.

Comment

Tom gave you a great understanding of how to fix this, but I can tell you one other simple thing that will help you understand all 3 speed column shift mechanisms.

The two levers you see on the steering column under the hood that connect to the Second & High shift rod and the Low & Reverse shift rod, MUST BE LEVEL WITH EACH OTHER WHEN IN NEUTRAL.

When your adjustment is good or completed, you will always find that to be the case.
          Last edited by StudeRich; 11-05-2011, 03:45 PM.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by keithwahl View Post
            3 SPEED WITH OVER DRIVE

Just bought a 1953 Champion
            Having lots of trouble with the column shifter>>>

Appreciate any help

Keith
            Keith, below is a link to a SDC Forum thread you may find helpful.

Good Luck!!!

Comment

Thanks Don, will investigate

Keith
              Originally posted by Don Jeffers View Post
              Perhaps you don't have a clear neutral "gate".

If the low-reverse shift rod length adjustment and the second-high shift rod length adjustment are such that the two neutral positions are not in the same place, you can't smoothly change from second-high to low-reverse and back.

Have you chacked that?

sigpic

Comment

Stude Rich, > car getting some muffler work
                will look

Keith

sigpic

Comment

Actually Don, second and third are very smooth and I can only start off in 2nd
                  When I pull back on the lever in neutral to then shift down into first or shift up in reverse the lever will not budge
                  I put enough force on the shift lever I am afraid I will break it

From time to time I got lucky and it would slip into gear but now>> nothing

Keith

sigpic

Comment

Actually Tom, second and third are very smooth and I can only start off in 2nd
                    When I pull back on the lever in neutral to then shift down into first or shift up in reverse the lever will not budge

sigpic

Comment

Stude Rich

Actually second and third are very smooth and I can only start off in 2nd

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                      X